If you’re just getting started with VCV Rack, this post is for you!
It aims to be a quality list of links to videos and articles, that will help you get Rack installed, make some sound, introduce you to the basic modules and get you through your first couple of patches, until you can start the exploration for yourself. I will aim to curate it on a semi-regular basis.
The basic links -
- VCV Rack website: https://vcvrack.com/
- The manual: https://vcvrack.com/manual/
- The plugin manager, to install lots of plugins: https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html
I recommend these first steps as the start of your journey:
- Go to the VCV Rack website and register an account. This allows you to install all the wonderful plugins.
- Download the Rack software and install it.
- Start up Rack, enter your account details at the top and login. Then click the “Manage plugins” button.
- Install the following plugins to start with: Audible Instruments, Befaco, JW-modules, ML_modules, Bogaudio, Vult modules (free). You do so by clicking the blue button next to those plugins, and then click “Update plugins” in Rack.
- Watch a couple of getting started tutorials below, to make some sound, and then start experimenting.
Note: Many of the YouTube links below are links to the first video in a series, so check the playlist to the right, in YouTube.
You will find that this community is full of helpful and fun people, so don’t hesitate to make posts and ask questions. First though, search before you ask - a lot of questions have already been answered. VCV Rack is about exploring and having fun - join the party!
Modular Curiosity - starting with the basics:
VCV Rack starter tutorial by Cy Ball:
VCV Rack - How It Works - A graphically enhanced manual, by Edgar Rothermich.
Introduction to Audio Synthesis - A great little guide to the basics of synthesis, written by Michael G. Maxwell in this forum, using examples from VCV Rack. The nuts and bolts you’ll be playing around with in Rack. IntroAudioSynthesis.pdf (2.2 MB)
Andrew Mercer (aka. Bucky Durdle) - great starter series:
The Klirr Factor - getting started:
KarateSnoopy - getting started:
Ablaut - starter overview:
Omri Cohen - basic series:
Talking Rackheads - wonderful long-form series:
Andrew Mercer’s VCV Rack tutorials page on steemit:
More tutorials by Omri Cohen:
Overview of YouTube channels and tutorials, by Ananda Bhisma:
Modular synth basics, much of which also applies to Rack:
Classic in-depth synth tutorials on Sound On Sound:
Learning Modular synth glossary of terms, always relevant:
Some classic synth books: