Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Hi! I am Tom from Canada
I am a music composer who wants to learn modular synthesizers, and some friends told me about VCV rack!
I tried it yesterday, and itā€™s fantastic! I had so much fun and made a few patches already. Thanks @Vortico

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Matt from NE Wales, UK. Been a synth head all my life; built a Digisound-80 analog rack back in 1988 while on my electronics engineering HND, and never did much with it. Co-produced Knees Up Mother Earth by Knights of the Occasional Table in 1993 which got us a John Peel session, which was fun. Nowadays Iā€™m glad that affordable computer power can emulate a ton of synthesis and sequencing, which saves me having to own too many physical things! I also design and produce custom PCBs, so please get in touch if I can help you with anything in that department.

So thankyou clever people for VCVrack, itā€™s delightful, and long may it last!!!

7 Likes

Thanks! Glad to hear you took the time to listen. I have not been able to produce much of my own work lately and this comment was reinvigorating. I have a bit written about it on my portfolio website (which desperately needs updating), if you are interested.

What sort of work do you enjoy making?

Hi, I am Wouter Spekkink, from the Netherlands, but living in Manchester UK at the moment.

I have been messing around with music software since high school (always as a hobby that I spent way too much time on), starting with Fruity Loops, then spending some time with Propellerhead Reason, and eventually moving on to Cubase (to be able to use third-party VST plugins). In hindsight, the most pleasurable experience was probably with Reason. In my ā€˜Cubase timeā€™, I spent most of my time getting stuck in loops, without being able to finish any composition.

I didnā€™t do anything with music for some years, until I came across VCV Rack. I just love how it completely overhauled my approach to making tunes. It really feels much less like a chore to me than your regular DAW does.

More importantly, the community is awesome, so thanks for that! I am trying to engage with the community a bit more now, but between work and the most amazing 1-year old at home that is not always easy. :smiley:

8 Likes

hiya!

matt leaf from australia.

my interest has been piqued in the modular direction lately, but, finances permitting Iā€™ve decided to start out with VCV

i have a long romance with digital art making, the key period of which was on much older gear/computers. i feel my brain seizing up somewhat in my older age, but i do find myself frustrated with the musical tools iā€™ve been using for the better part of the last 15 or so years

thereā€™s something ā€˜visibleā€™ about modular i really like. its all available and there. thereā€™s something about it that i dont quite have the words for yet, a garden for play.

on that note as i am quite new, a lot of the synthesizer concepts to me are quite new also. iā€™m used to double clicking things and tweaking knobs, so the background logic of how / where things should go are a bit foreign, iā€™d love if anyone had some resrouces for a modular/vcv newb like me

i like reading when it comes to documentation, not a fan of video tutorials just like very clear simple elegant diagrams, if anyone knows of anything like that it would be great. the VCV documentation (which Im working through) is excellent and great for the basic stuff, not sure if its a place to learn to patch tho.

anyway, cheerio all! iā€™m online at http://mattleaf.studio if you feel like checking out my stuff

3 Likes

Welcome fellow Aussie,

Start with this thread:

2 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™ve been into Eurorack since 2014. Played with VCV Rack over the last couple of years then watched Loopopā€™s video on the ES-8 and VCV Rack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOAgqcM2eI. Of course ES-8 has been insanely hard to find lately but eventually I did. VCV Rack crashed a couple of times but eventually I got it running and BANG! Wow, this thing is going to interface so well with my modular. I may wind up selling half of this my modular off. :0

3 Likes

Thanks! I just ordered the patch & tweak book too, hopefully gives me some insights :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have P&T, itā€™s a great book

4 Likes

Hello. My name is Don and I live in Arizona. A recent convert to modular synthesis and rapidly becoming a rackhead. I have been playing keyboards for over a half a century and synthesizers for about half that long. Very interested in music synthesis by turning knobs, moving sliders and placing patch cords now. Looking forward to learning (and making plenty of mistakes) as I go. This looks like a good place to do so. Cheers!

7 Likes

Umm, you might want to bear in mind that thereā€™s a little 4-letter state somewhat East of you, itā€™s called Ohio. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Um, and donā€™t forget Iowaā€¦ lol

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Victor
I am interested in vcv rack because I like the idea of self-contained system which provides real flexibility (freedom). Basic DAW ā€œloop-grid-draw automation lineā€ approach just kills my creativity, itā€™s like a cage to me. So I became a vcv rack user.

9 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Frank! I live in the Netherlands in a small coastal village.

I love creating patches / presets for synths, and I have published a few patchlibraries under my label Krezie Sounds.

Iā€™m mostly into software synths, and Iā€™ve recently begun exploring VCV Rack.
I think itā€™s a great synth application, but just as important is the huge and friendly community around it. There are a lot of passionate plugin developers active who make great plugins for the synth. This community driven spirit really sets VCV apart from other virtual modulars in my opinion.

So, I jump on this rolling train, and Iā€™m confident weā€™ll make a great journey with it :grin:

A special thanks to @Vortico for making such a great synth, and a big thank you to @Omri_Cohen as well for making such great videoā€™s about VCV!

6 Likes

Hi Frank! Iā€™m really glad you enjoy my videos :slight_smile: Welcome to Rack-Land!

2 Likes

Hi I am David Muddyman aka Jamuud (and a lot of other names beside).

I have been one-half of Loop Guru who made a lot of records on small labels in the 90s. Now I just make music for fun. I have always been interested in modular synths but never had the money for one. I do have two beaten up analogue synths I bought in the late 70s-early 80s. The Roland 101 (part of the first Roland 100 system) and a Yamaha CS15. My pride and joy in my Space Echo.

5 years ago I changed path completely and went to art college to do a degree in Painting, Drawing and Printmaking. Another thing I love and something I have wanted to do since I was 14ā€¦You can see some of my art at www.davidmuddyman.co.uk along with music I have created to go with the paintings.

VCV Rack has taken over my life for the last two months watching countless great videos. It is so nice to be with a community that just really loves what it does. I would like to thank all the developers for their incredible work and @Omri_Cohen, who has taught me so much.

5 Likes

Hi gang,
My name is Alfredo Vargas but people call me Bicho (bug, in Spanish)
I have a business called Audiotecna, we are the official dealers and retailers for Teenage Engineering, Moog Music, Koma Elektronik, Ableton and other brands in Colombia

I also teach synthesis and similar topics on different institutions, and we are also the service center for Moog in our country

I rarely make tracks, though I toy with the gear every day

8 Likes

Iā€™m myst mach, Iā€™m a bisexual musician & official mouldy boy from australia, currently learning dsp so I can make modules for vcv & eventually develop my own eurorack modules, Iā€™ll probably be using this forum a lot for questions regarding dsp.

3 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m Ada. Iā€™m a trans anarchist musician working mostly in noise under the name mavd. All my music links can be found on my website, mavd.xyz (Iā€™ll be adding a dark mode to it soon, for more comfortable viewing). Lately Iā€™ve been listening to Black Dresses, Against Me, and RVIVR a lot, but I also like things like Joanna Newsom or Chad Vangaalen. Outside music, I like video games, cooking, and anime.
I also write lyrics I guess but Iā€™m not comfortable using them yet.

7 Likes

Hi!

My name is Will and I am one of the people behind Starling, a new synthesizer company. We are about to release a line of modules called Via as open source Rack plugins and physical eurorack modules. I am preparing our first release for submission to the community library.

We will make a proper announcement in the appropriate place when thats all sorted out, but for now I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to @Vortico, the other 3rd party developers, the users, and all others who have contributed to this project and fostered the community. As a musician who is learning programming by making instruments, watching Rackā€™s development has been tremendously inspiring and informative.

A little about me, when Iā€™m not doing development for Starling, I make music as Liquid City Motors, work at an online music retailer, and teach digital music production at an after-school program here in Milwaukee. I am excited to be a part of this community :smiley:

15 Likes