Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

I wouldnt do anything that could upset them. For example creating a module which looks like its made by Roland etcā€¦

https://www.roland.com/global/company/intellectual_property/

2 Likes

Thanks, I feared that they might threaten people with ā€œaggressive actionsā€. I guess Iā€™ll contact them and ask them to greenlight my little project for good measureā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks! I have contacted them. Weā€™ll see what happensā€¦

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Bozhidar Hristov from Skopje, Macedonia. I am a DJ, music lover and also a programmer. My DJing style mostly gravitates towards House, Techno & Disco, but I have a little bit of everythingā€¦ I would like to focus on music production in the next period and try to make something that people would dance to :smile:.

You can find some of my mixes on my Soundcloud profile

For a long time I have been focused on some more pressing issues in life like my financial situation, instead of jumping into music productionā€¦ But, music has been always an important part of my life and now it is clear that the next step for me is production, as I have made a good name as a DJ locally.

VCV Rack is a great product and a great community. It feels like itā€™s growing at a very, very fast pace and the possibilities as a Rack & open source are unlimited. Right now as a Linux user I would like to incorporate a workflow between Bitwig Studio & VCV Rack. I feel like I can benefit as a producer by learning to work with these two programs.

If someone has tips on Linux for music production & audio development feel free to point me out.

Thanks for building VCV Rack, hope to show you some music soon!

8 Likes

Salut RƩmi. Je me rƩjouis de voir Ƨa. Bienvenue !

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
Newbie here to VCV Rack and looking to explore it more. Iā€™m currently working as a logistics contractor under NATO in Afghanistan. To while away my off-duty time, I took up game design and development as a hobby a few years ago. When I started the music and sounds available used were canned. Since then, Iā€™ve decided to brush off the cobwebs and try making my own music for my games to give them a unique sound. I have been playing around with using Reaper as my DAW along with the various synth plug-ins available and its been a joy. Last year I came across an article that talked about VCV Rack and curiosity got the best of me. So Iā€™ve branched off some to learn how VCV Rack can be used to compose music as well as sounds for my games. I look forward to the learning. As a side note (and risk aging myselfā€¦lol) my music tastes are quite eclectic. I say that as I grew up during the British invasion of the USA in the mid-60ā€™s and am an alumnus of the original Woodstock in '69. I have studied piano and clarinet as well as some music theory in college. However lately it has been all self-study recalling things from decades ago. My main goal at the moment is getting the sounds from VCV Rack into Reaper. Iā€™ve found some videos that may help. I will be ā€œretiringā€ in a couple years and I can see between my music composition aspirations, as well as learning and using VCV Rack, will keep me busy.

9 Likes

Hello everyone,

Iā€™m Matt from New York. Iā€™m a telecom engineer. I have interests in music, electronics and programming which has naturally led me here. Iā€™ve been fascinated with modular synths since I first heard Switched on Bach, but I never quite got into it. VCVRack has renewed my interest in electronic music over the past few months. In the mid 90s, I composed a lot of MIDI and MOD tracker music.
Now Iā€™m creating sound and music in a way I would never have imagined. Itā€™s very addictive!

Anywayā€¦ Iā€™ve started some work on ideas for a few modules. I may be asking for some help on compiling and testing for MacOS soon!

8 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Daniel aka Tarnith.

Iā€™m a musician/producer, Iā€™m a fan of every genre and love to dive as deep as possible. I work in IT doing DevOps and am getting further into programming (Python, JS, C++, Hopefully some VCV modules in future, DSP is fascinating to me)

Iā€™ve been studying theory and production for a few years now, and have been playing guitar fairly steadily for ~8 years. In the past few Iā€™ve focused more and more of my time towards music production. This started with basic guitar recording, and then moved into buying multiple instruments, midi keyboards, interfaces, pedals, monitors and headphones. VCV has been a great further introduction to modular, a concept Iā€™ve already been familiar with from synth programming and Bitwig 2.

I find emergent behaviour and unexpected results of complex systems fascinating, and find it very relaxing and low pressure building up modular patches. Itā€™s a very zen state of contemplative engagement and feedback.

9 Likes

Matt here, recording over the last few years as ā€œindustry city sleepersā€ and prior to that ā€œiammaneā€. Outside of the many years using Reason, no real experience with modular software and none with hardware. Would love to sink my teeth into it a little bit time permitting, hard with two young kids so the last 8 or so years has been all iOS production. Glad to see a nice thriving community for VCV, itā€™s quite an application and as soon as Iā€™ve got some time and can wrap my head around the sequencing Iā€™d like to make some bleeps and bloops :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello, I am Michael.

My boys and I like to make stuff, guitar pedals, DIY eurorack modular, DIY lunetta-style modular, controllers, instruments, etc.

I have been writing (rather naive) audio code in ChucK for several years, see https://github.com/heuermh/lick

I am most interested in adapting some of the effects Iā€™ve implemented in ChucK to work in VCV, whether by integrating libchuck or by rewriting in whatever dsp VCV provides.

Which is perhaps some kind of parallel to the ChucK running on Raspberry Pi eurorack module weā€™re building. :wink:

6 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Rob from Scotland, Iā€™ve been a synth player since 1979.
I discovered Rack the day after it was launched and Itā€™s now my favorite go to software.
Andrew has done an amazing job as have the 3rd party devā€™s
I just need to integrate rack with my hardware synths and DIY modular things :slight_smile:
looking forward to version one

5 Likes

Hi! I am Tom from Canada
I am a music composer who wants to learn modular synthesizers, and some friends told me about VCV rack!
I tried it yesterday, and itā€™s fantastic! I had so much fun and made a few patches already. Thanks @Vortico

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Matt from NE Wales, UK. Been a synth head all my life; built a Digisound-80 analog rack back in 1988 while on my electronics engineering HND, and never did much with it. Co-produced Knees Up Mother Earth by Knights of the Occasional Table in 1993 which got us a John Peel session, which was fun. Nowadays Iā€™m glad that affordable computer power can emulate a ton of synthesis and sequencing, which saves me having to own too many physical things! I also design and produce custom PCBs, so please get in touch if I can help you with anything in that department.

So thankyou clever people for VCVrack, itā€™s delightful, and long may it last!!!

7 Likes

Thanks! Glad to hear you took the time to listen. I have not been able to produce much of my own work lately and this comment was reinvigorating. I have a bit written about it on my portfolio website (which desperately needs updating), if you are interested.

What sort of work do you enjoy making?

Hi, I am Wouter Spekkink, from the Netherlands, but living in Manchester UK at the moment.

I have been messing around with music software since high school (always as a hobby that I spent way too much time on), starting with Fruity Loops, then spending some time with Propellerhead Reason, and eventually moving on to Cubase (to be able to use third-party VST plugins). In hindsight, the most pleasurable experience was probably with Reason. In my ā€˜Cubase timeā€™, I spent most of my time getting stuck in loops, without being able to finish any composition.

I didnā€™t do anything with music for some years, until I came across VCV Rack. I just love how it completely overhauled my approach to making tunes. It really feels much less like a chore to me than your regular DAW does.

More importantly, the community is awesome, so thanks for that! I am trying to engage with the community a bit more now, but between work and the most amazing 1-year old at home that is not always easy. :smiley:

8 Likes

hiya!

matt leaf from australia.

my interest has been piqued in the modular direction lately, but, finances permitting Iā€™ve decided to start out with VCV

i have a long romance with digital art making, the key period of which was on much older gear/computers. i feel my brain seizing up somewhat in my older age, but i do find myself frustrated with the musical tools iā€™ve been using for the better part of the last 15 or so years

thereā€™s something ā€˜visibleā€™ about modular i really like. its all available and there. thereā€™s something about it that i dont quite have the words for yet, a garden for play.

on that note as i am quite new, a lot of the synthesizer concepts to me are quite new also. iā€™m used to double clicking things and tweaking knobs, so the background logic of how / where things should go are a bit foreign, iā€™d love if anyone had some resrouces for a modular/vcv newb like me

i like reading when it comes to documentation, not a fan of video tutorials just like very clear simple elegant diagrams, if anyone knows of anything like that it would be great. the VCV documentation (which Im working through) is excellent and great for the basic stuff, not sure if its a place to learn to patch tho.

anyway, cheerio all! iā€™m online at http://mattleaf.studio if you feel like checking out my stuff

3 Likes

Welcome fellow Aussie,

Start with this thread:

2 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™ve been into Eurorack since 2014. Played with VCV Rack over the last couple of years then watched Loopopā€™s video on the ES-8 and VCV Rack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOAgqcM2eI. Of course ES-8 has been insanely hard to find lately but eventually I did. VCV Rack crashed a couple of times but eventually I got it running and BANG! Wow, this thing is going to interface so well with my modular. I may wind up selling half of this my modular off. :0

3 Likes

Thanks! I just ordered the patch & tweak book too, hopefully gives me some insights :slight_smile:

1 Like