Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Iā€™m Mike Loveridge from Vancouver, WA USA. This is my text from my profile.

I have been interested and working with synthesizers since 1974. I always found synthesized music intriguing and my background in electronics made the interest more profound.

I was taking drum lessons from a man that built his own synthesizers using digital TTL logic and ICs. I asked him if he would teach me his electronics instead of drums and he hesitantly agreed. He didnā€™t want to teach me electronics and I told him I already had most of the knowledge and just wanted to learn his application. He soon found that we had a lot in common and I learned so much from him. His name was Stan Lunetta and while we were onsite at Cal Expo in Sacramento when he was setting up for one of his concerts, a local newspaper journalist was interviewing him and he introduced me as his protege. I couldnā€™t keep the grin from my face! I was so excited to think he called me his protege.

I went to several Tangerine Dream concerts in the San Francisco Bay area between 1974 to 1984. I loved all their Moog equipment and wished there was a way I could just sit at it and play around. I have always been drawn to elegant sequences.

In 2015 I saw a documentary on synthesized music where I discovered Eurorack for the first time. I had to have! After spending close to $5,000 on modules, I found I was not playing with it much and in 2017 I sold all the modules to buy my 5-string Fender bass.

In October of 2018 I discovered VCV Rack and have been all over it since! Itā€™s beyond unbelievable! So many incredible advantages with software over hardware. Saving patches and presets are the obvious advantages, but duplicating modules is a hidden advantage. I can duplicate $250 oscillators on a whim. There are many amazing sequencers that can do so many things that only extremely expensive hardware could only begin to imagineā€¦

There is so much to learn and do that this will take me well into my retirement age. Thanks to people like Omri Cohen who take the time to learn about modules and then teach them to others, I can do even more!

10 Likes

Hello. My name is Carlos. I go by Nimbus Gray in my electronic music endeavors. I am based in Redmond WA but born in Manila Philippines. Recently got into using VCV Rack when i have built up confidence in learning synthesis in general after being a rock and jazz fusion musician for the past decade and a half. Hoping to learn more and discover from the community as well as to have a chance to give back as well.

Thanks

6 Likes

Iā€™m Brian from Massachusetts, USA. Strictly a hobbyist as far as electronic music, but I have been a working bassist for 40+ years now. I sold off my remaining hardware in 2017 and am now totally computer based. I use both Logic and Live, I started experimenting with Rack when it first came out but was really waiting for Bridge so I could use it with my DAWs.

5 Likes

Hello all, Jean-Lou here, Acadian from northeastern New Brunswick, Canada.:canada:
Always enjoyed experimenting around with sounds via software (most mileage went into Audiomulch in recent years). No musical background per se, simply a fondness for out-of-the-ordinary music which led me naturally to this hobby of sculpting waveforms. Recently discovered VCVRack and upon my first foray, it immediately rekindled my passion for audio manipulation. Still in the process of exploring the various plugins and reacquainting myself with synthesis. Intuitive, plenty of room for creativity and just a joy to work it, this piece of software is awesome. Merci Andrew!

5 Likes

I was unknown as all get out but holy crap yeah back in 2002 I went under the moniker of Faktor/sKinpop.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m David. I have a computer science background, and Iā€™ve worked in ā€œAIā€ and machine learning for many years, both in research and industry. Iā€™m based in Berlin, home of Ableteton, Native Instruments, and Superbooth. I discovered VCV Rack months ago, and what can I sayā€¦ Just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in. Iā€™m mostly interested in generative stuff and seriously tempted to buy some hardware.

8 Likes

Hi everyone. Iā€™m Hardev from Datchet (near Windsor / London). I havenā€™t got a clue what Iā€™m doing with VCV Rack, but Iā€™m an avid audience member having attended many gigs and soundsystem sessions!

My musical range spans from Joy Division to Jah Shaka and the likes of The Smiths, Cure, Interpol, The Jam, British Sea Power and the occasional rave.

Youā€™ll find me at the edge of the mosh pit or staggering in at 9 in the morning after an all night dub session.

Add to that list some crazy DJā€™s whoā€™s Iā€™ve watched play with a modular setup and then I stumbled across this and started to have a play so a massive hat tip to the developer.

Iā€™m in two minds about actually creating something, but my playing around is increasing my musical knowledge and I wonā€™t beget that!

Nice to meet everyone - Iā€™ll be at the edges looking inā€¦:wink:

9 Likes

Your album Lapse is great stuff, Mike!

1 Like

Hi, I am Gernot from Southern Germany. I am a DSP algorithm developer and a musician and discovered VCV Rack by accident a few days ago. A very promising project! Just for fun I read some papers on how to model analog waveforms and started writing my first module - supposed to model the VCO section of my beloved 101 (see below). I am planning to do all the sections as individual modules and make them available open source and for free. Maybe Iā€™ll accept donations. But no restrictions. Now please let me know your opinion: Do you think I am risking trouble with Roland for my little project? I want it to look and sound as close to the real thing as possible with reasonable effort. Thanks!

17 Likes

Using a layout and fonts that are deliberately different from Roland should drastically reduce any potential problems.

5 Likes

I doubt that Roland has a copyright on the color combination grey & white.
I donā€™t see much of a problem here.
Considering there are dozens of vstā€™s out there, some of which blatantly have the name and logo on the ui design.

4 Likes

Well, hello! Been ā€œrackingā€ my brain trying to figure out what to tell you. Iā€™m a retired 74 year old youngster. My wife and I like to take long roadtrips with our pooch and shoot pictures and video. I prefer aerial video with the drone. I very much enjoy post processing videos and creating motion graphics. Big fan of Davinci Resolve 15 here.

Musically, have been a Propellerhead Reason user since version 2. Have owned a few synths (Korg DW 8000 & Prophet 10). Now, I enjoy writing and producing music for our/my videosā€¦ And, just for fun.

Stumbled across VCV Rack about 2 weeks ago. Thank goodness I then stumbled across Omri Cohen and his excellent tutorials. Now that I can access the vst plugins that I bought for Reason from within VCV Rack, itā€™s an even broader creative horizon. Always been attracted to modular synthesis, primarily because of Walter/Wendy Carlos starting with ā€œSwitched on Bachā€.

Anyway, VCV Rack is another rabbit hole for me to dive into and exploreā€¦ And the price is right. Thus far Iā€™ve generated 4 patches. Looking forward to making many more.

12 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Lukas Kalmar, I was born in Austria, but I live in Chile (Valdivia) at the moment.
Always wanted to get into modular synthesis ever since I saw ā€œI Dream of Wiresā€ a couple of years ago, but wasnā€™t able to, mostly out of financial reasons and lack of time.

Iā€™m currently (as in, right now) working on my first live set (on the 29th) and super happy with the software.

Looking forward to sharing with this community, and THANK YOU SO MUCH ANDREW @Vortico

7 Likes

Hi, I am John Kelly an old (70!) rock & roll guitarist and my son is a punk rock guitarist. His son is also a musician who at 9 years old plays drums, bass, guitar and keyboards. He is exploring electronic music like that done by his favorite performer Kanka. He needs a synthesizer and I just discovered VCV and will try to learn how to use it so I can help him make his kind of music. Should be an interesting trip!

15 Likes

OMG! I wish I was 9 yrs old discovering Rack Synth.He has a whole new world at his fingertips now! :grinning:

6 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m Bernd from Germany. Iā€™m a hobbyist musician for 20 years now - mainly in the Indie Rock scene. Iā€™m into electronic music since 2016, mainly interested in virtual Instruments. I discovered the Rack in December 2017 and love it. Iā€™m also a hobby programmer and want to start developing modules for the Rack and VST-Plugins.

9 Likes

Nog een Nederlander.

2 Likes

Hello,
I am Niels from the Netherlands and i am 50 years old. I am into music because my dad was a professional musician, and iā€™ve been into music as long as i can remember. I started out as a drummer (still do) but i got into syntā€™s (analog) and the vstā€™s is the solution for that. I came across VCV Rack because i was looking for a modular vst. and although iā€™ve been looking for several years, VCV Rack came to me yesterday. So, that is why i am here now. I think this is amazing and i want to thank all the people behind this and those who design anything that goes with this wonderful piece of excitment. My hope and dream are one day coming to the US and start living there with the love of my life.

6 Likes

Hello everybody!
Iā€™m Alberto Versace. Iā€™m from Italy (currently Torino). I study classical double bass, alongside that I studied linguistic mediation and I am about to get my bachelor degree.
I have been lurking the world of modular synthesis for a while now but never really got the chance to dive in, mostly because of money.
I have been making music for 8 years, done lotā€™s of things small things so far: played the bass and sung backing vocals for local bands both in studio and live, had people over to record some demos, made beats, scored some amateur short movies. Recently I produced(top to bottom) a little EP for an aspiring artist. It will be out sometime next year, and played some orchestra bass of course.
It ainā€™t much but itā€™s honest work :wink:

Rack has been a huge thing for me. I really like to play with it, patch cables and what-not.
Currently I am working at creating a patch with sequencers, filters and all the bells & whistles to perform live VCVRACK and Vocals. I really canā€™t way to be able to map parameters directly to a controller :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The modular-related genres that fascinate me the most are ambient music, generative music and music for multimedia art installation.
Thank you very much everybody for this community. I hope it gets bigger and bigger.
Have some good music =)

7 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m RĆ©mi from france. Iā€™m a musician and a software developper, trying to find the balance between these two passions; had a burnout last year from full time work as a developper for 8 years and not having time/energy to make music, so 2019 will be dedicated to full time music production and vcv rack will be a central part of it.
Also intend to get into module development at some point though I lack a bit on the graphic design side & Math/DSP, I have a few ideas Iā€™d like to contribute to the community.

8 Likes