Blamsoft is back .. just great !

Doesn’t matter at this point. I was glad they made it free as I got months of good use out of them.

Thanks for the feedback @pgatt :slight_smile:

The issues went away once I opened VCV and installed it from inside VCV.

So all good, I just forgot to update my post here.

1 Like

best present in a while. much love! Alessandro

I too have had that happen but not all the time. Doing a reload nof the project seems to fix it.

1 Like

Also doesn’t work for me under Linux, I’m getting the following relevant warning in the log:

[0.148 warn src/plugin.cpp:194 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /home/darchillus/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave: Failed to load library /home/darchillus/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/darchillus/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave/plugin.so)

I’m running VCV under Linux Mint 20.2 (based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), which is not that old (July 2021).

Yep, the problem comes and goes for me. It appears to be a startup initialization bug or rather, most likely, the use of an uninitialized array member. No one ever acknowledged this bug nor told me how to report it. So, I just don’t use the plugin for now.

i have the same issue on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for several XFX modules:

[0.037 warn src/plugin.cpp:228 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXF35: Failed to load library /home/ii/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXF35/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXF35/plugin.so) [0.086 warn src/plugin.cpp:228 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXReverb: Failed to load library /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXReverb/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.32’ not found (required by /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXReverb/plugin.so) [0.094 warn src/plugin.cpp:228 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave: Failed to load library /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.32' not found (required by /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXWave/plugin.so) [0.110 warn src/plugin.cpp:228 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXDistortionPack: Failed to load library /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXDistortionPack/plugin.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.32’ not found (required by /home/i/.Rack2/plugins/Blamsoft-XFXDistortionPack/plugin.so)

1 Like

Same for me, only blamsoft crashes the Rack VST when reopening the project. Removing them will load the patch in VST fine.

1 Like

remember when the VST came out, and there were a whole bunch of plugins that crashed in it?

It might point to font references getting stored across frames. That causes the crash in the VST.

1 Like

yes, I think we know that, right?

Does Blamsoft have a way of reporting bugs? I’ve heard about this one so many times…

1 Like

There seems to be several plugins in the library these days for which support contact is unclear. The two that I am thinking of are Blamsoft and Starling. I have tried tagging Blamsoft in this topic and asking who is supporting but I have received no unambiguous response. For Starling, it appears that all updates are coming via PRs by Steve Russel. I can see this because Starling is open source MIT licensed. But, Blamsoft is closed source free software, so I cannot look at GitHub.

Can someone say who is supporting Blamsoft? Has it been “adopted” by VCV?

Maybe ?

No, VCV isn’t the current developer of Blamsoft. Andrew Best, one of the original Blamsoft crew has supplied the builds and is supporting them. Like I said previously, we were involved in that users contacted support and we contacted the dev on their behalf, which we do from time to time.

1 Like

Thanks, but how do we contact Andrew Best?

The problem I was having using XFX modules in the VCV plugin appears to have been fixed in the latest release (2.0.1) . Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry I missed that one Ken.

Issues should be resolved with the latest update, but all modules should have a contact if you right-click the module and select Info > Author email. They should also be listed on the library website.

Unfortunately all XFX modules still just ”rebound” on Linux after installation: they don’t extract successfully, and appear again into the list of available updates like they weren’t installed at all.

1 Like

Have you got a support ticket open? If not, could you please email support@vcvrack.com

Thanks, I was going to do that, but nah there’s no actual need; I confirmed it’s the glibc issue mentioned above, and it can only be helped by building the modules again using a different version of that. Each XFX plugin logs “GLIBC_2.32 not found (required by [insert XFX plugin binary here])” after extraction.

In other words, the XFX modules are built using such a recent glibc version that it - probably unintentionally - narrows their compatibility a great deal. One rule of thumb (of many) when doing a closed source build for distribution is, if there isn’t actual need to go with a newer version of glibc, it’s probably a good idea to check which one is used in the most recent official Debian release (currently glibc 2.31) and at least stay within that.

VCV Rack 2 system requirements say “Linux (such as Ubuntu 16.04+)”, and that would actually mean glibc 2.23. The one used in these modules isn’t even in the latest LTS release of Ubuntu, 20.04 LTS, which uses 2.31.

2 Likes