Will 23Volts be updated to v2?

Oooh! A dear old friend drops by - hopefully for more than just a fleeting visit.

1 Like

Well someone had knocked on my door, see here: Modular Lab II: 191 patches for VCV Rack (25 patch templates available for free) - #8 by Yeager and it was then I realised that I hadnā€™t updated the release page for the forked repo I had done some time ago.

The builds are done by GitHub so all should be well. :+1:

1 Like

For me it was the realization that you could work almost fully time on making these free modules, and even then you canā€™t really get that many ppl to use them, or get a kind word from VCV. Just not much in it for a lot of ppl. Whereas a programming job will pay you giant gobs of money for that effort.

Yes, thatā€™s what open source is about: appreciation. I think this holds true for for even the non-open free modules.

When there is no appreciation people will move away, inevitably.

On the other hand: Iā€™ve to admit that the ā€œgiant gobsā€ paying jobs are mostly dull ā€“ not to mention the ā€œsocialā€ challenges.

I did open source for recreation. I like to program, but I donā€™t like the so called professional environment.

4 Likes

Oh no, your inventiveness would be sorely missed. I certainly appreciate all the time and effort you put into your modules. I have bought all your ā€˜paid forā€™ ones as well.

To all devs I give my upmost thanks!!

1 Like

Unfortunately youā€™re not allowed to sell your opensource work on the library either.

True, that is a unfortunate limitation. But do you think anyone makes any significant money from selling modules?

Thatā€™s unfortunate. Most of the jobs Iā€™ve had were pretty fun, and I did pretty well, had friendly co-workers, etcā€¦ But thereā€™s all kind of people out there and all kinds of jobs. Iā€™m sorry it has been unpleasant for you.

Does that really matter, though? Likely more than people get from donations.

well, it would affect most peopleā€™s decision, I think. I know for me Iā€™ve always assumed the income from VCV modules would be extremely small. If it rivaled what a job pays, that would be more interesting.

I estimate it took me 1000 hours to make my modules (Iā€™m not super speedy). So if I make $1k on selling modules, thatā€™s wouldnā€™t be a great hourly rate of pay. Although it for sure would be more than $100, it thatā€™s what you are saying.

Thatā€™s a shame, as Iā€™ve been working on a set of modules which (if I ever get to the point where I am totally happy) I was hoping to sell (and keep open source). I guess I can either go the way of @slimechildaudio and release open source version after a year (say) or go to the donation model (which I think would make less to be honest).

Iā€™m in not motivated by money to continue as a VCV dev, just a little appreciation as others have mentioned (or even just seeing modules pop up in peoples patches). @Squinky - I often get the impression you feel under-valued/under-appreciated (this being part of why you stopped dev) but I always saw a lot of praise for your modules (and saw them in many patches). This includes the Squinkytronix line, which had healthy dev/feedback threads. In case itā€™s not clear, Iā€™m part of the crowd that values and reguarly uses your modules.

Back to selling - I do however have a (hardware) Eurorack habit that burns a hole in my pocket so having a little VCV side-hussle to fund GAS seems a fitting match, and if I do end up selling modules here this is probably mostly where that would goā€¦

1 Like

yes, that was a good thread. And I donā€™t really want to sound like a cry baby. I think I could make it work for me if I were better at figuring out what people actually want, and if I stopped writing manuals, optimizing the performance, getting rid of audio artifacts, and writing so many unit tests. But thatā€™s not really what I want to do, so better to just drop it.

2 Likes

How ā€˜bout a Mac ARM build?

Release page updated

5 Likes

This is great. Really appreciate you doing this. I find the MidiPC module to be super useful.

I do have an issue with this V2 update though, in that if I use MidiPC in a patch whilst using VCV inside Cubase, then Cubase will crash when I try to open the project at a later date. I donā€™t know if this is something that could be addressed.

1 Like

As I donā€™t use Cubase, I canā€™t replicate or test this.

Well, if you like that abandonware enough to put of with it crashing your daw thatā€™s cool.

What I like is being able to change patterns on the Beatstep Pro using VCVā€™s CV data. The Cubase problem is an unfortunate side effect!

If anyone knows of a current module, or any other way of doing this (short of building my own module), Iā€™d love to hear about it.

In case anyone else wants to send program change messages to an external module from VCV within Cubase, I worked out that it can be done using VCVā€™s CV to MIDI module and the Input Transformer in Cubase. So no need for the MIDI-CC module now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes