Wilderness Soundscape Challenge (August 2024)

So cool…love the story telling and the colour scheme of your patch (and the patch itself, of course)…having King Kong deja-vue’s…

1 Like

Love most Kong movies :slight_smile:

The Boreal Forests contain lots of wildlife, including lots of birds. As the wind blows through the trees, a few songbirds tweet their songs, woodpeckers on a few different trees create an uneven rhythm and a ruffed grouse beats his wings on his breast in an attempt to find a mate (Google ruffed grouse drumming to see the inspiration). A little joyous background melody fades in and out in accompaniniment.

I still have to learn what I’ve created in more depth. I’ve found patches and tutorials with things I’ve liked and tried to figure them out, but in some cases it’s just the tutorials with some minor modifications. I have much to learn!!! Thank you to those who have answered questions, have published tutorials, trainings, patches, given insight and support for the questions. I bow to you.

8 Likes

This patch is inspired by my recent crossing of Hardangervidda in Norway which is the largest mountain plateau in Europe, an area of true wilderness. While there are many animals and plants (no trees though) it’s more the rough environment and the weather conditions than the wildlife that makes the plateau truly wild, and that’s what I’m focussing on in this patch.

Perhaps, it’s also the home of Thor, the hammer-wielding god of wild weather?

You are sitting in a cave, supposedly safe from the weather outside. A lovely stream is flowing through the cave, along a frozen pond. Somebody hung some metal and wood rods into the cave entrance - perhaps to protect the cave from evil ghosts? - and behind it you see a snow-covered mountain. There must be a nice echo in this rocky cavern, right?

Indeed! But wait… the response is more than just an echo. Did somebody feel disturbed? Suddenly, the wind is increasing, the wooden and metal rods hit each other, the pond’s thick ice sheet is cracking, the little stream is swelling to a raging river, rocks fall from the cave’s ceiling, the heavy wind gets even heavier and turns into a thunderstorm, and as if all this wasn’t already enough, you notice a thick white cloud rolling down from the mountain right towards the cave entrance, coming closer and closer with a deafening roar. Suddenly, it is very silent and dark…

11 Likes

These stereo sounds are immersive and fascinating. And for completely ego-based reasons, it’s fun for to see so many Sapphire modules. UPDATE I’m really having a lot of fun playing with this patch! This is bonkers, and from me, that is a deep compliment.

For anyone who might be interested, Sapphire Galaxy is a clone of Chris Johnson’s “Galactic” algorithm from his Airwindows Suite. This is an amazing plugin that contains only a single module, but that module has a huge number of effects and filters that are fun to play with.

I’m grateful to Chris for his permission and support in cloning his reverb algorithm Galactic. I had two motivations for creating my own UI on top of his reverb:

1. It helped me understand Galactic, which sounds amazing in stereo even when fed monaural input. I intend to create my own stereo reverb some day, with its own personality, and this exercise helped me step in that direction.
  2. It gave me a VCV Rack module that was thinner: Galaxy is 6 HP wide, Airwindows Suite is 10 HP wide. And of course the full Airwindows has to be wider because it supports so many additional effects, not just the Galactic reverb.
3 Likes

I think I have to take a closer look at the Airwindows reverbs.

2 Likes

This is fantastic - such big sounds, so atmospheric :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

1 Like

Another “Take shelter in a cave during a storm” patch. But then your mind starts to play tricks on you, and you start hearing tones coming from the depths of the abyss.

It turns out that thunder is way more difficult to synthesize than I expected…

Enjoy…

AVH_Aug2024_Wilderness Soundscape02_Storm.vcv (9.6 KB)

13 Likes

The thunder goes more into the direction of a heavy lightning strike in some distance, I’d say, but that sounds quite cool! Well done!

1 Like

Love that lightning strikes the video as well.

3 Likes

Marvelous sounds, simply amazing!

1 Like

Very nice patch @auretvh !

I really enjoyed how you started this patch with atmospheric nature sounds, then brought in the drone, then added the higher voice above that. Quite cinematic and fun to listen to. It provides a lot of development using less than 4 minutes.

I am also very interested in thunder sounds. I have been trying to figure out how to model them convincingly for over 2 years, and it’s a fascinating topic.

2 Likes

Here is my amphibian entry 1/5:

Here is the Frog Bog patch.

8 Likes

It sounds like a slowed-down version of the Frog Symphony, which makes it more majestic. Well done!

2 Likes

Just a little reminder that we have a few days left in August. If you want to submit a wilderness patch, please do so no later than Saturday. This has been so much fun and we’ve seen a lot of creative takes so far. I’m sure there is a little more wilderness in somebody out there, and it needs to be expressed!

1 Like

Here is my attempt at stormy weather. You’re stuck on an alien planet, at least some of the wildlife sounds familiar…

Patch on patchstorage.

I’m pretty sure it should load “freely”. Let me know if I’ve missed something. I’m using paid versions of Vult modules but I’m pretty sure they’ll autoload the free version also (there is no difference in the simple filters I’m using).

The “frogs” texture (Prince of Perception, et. al.) is from Omri Cohen tutorials, first one on making karplus-strong “frogs” and then a delay setup modeled on the “Soma Cosmos” pedal. It’s really fun to change the Patch Master controls. They may have been sacrificed for more modulation options but I’m simply running out of time.

Unfortunately, I noticed that both Chances and the Benoulli Gate modules seem to not like the way my PC stutters when trying to record video. Even if I increases the percentages it seems off. I’m not sure if something is off when the DSP stutters. So if you want to check out lighting with many repeat strikes you’ll have to try the patch.

7 Likes

This is wonderfully realistic for a synthetic creation! I really enjoyed seeing this drop here on the final day.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I agree with Don: that’s a nice one, and it sounds very realistic. Even though it’s an alien world, I felt relaxed when listening. The rain sounds like falling on a protecting awning, perhaps made of leaves, and I saw me sitting on a terrace of a small hut under the awning, having a Coffee or Whiskey or both, and listening to the concert of nature.

2 Likes

I get this

but the patch plays ok anyway

If you want to :

1 Like