What are you Watching? (Educational)

In the spirit of the wildly popular What are you listening to? thread, I thought this could be a place to share any documentaries, lectures, talks, symposiums, demonstrations, etc that people found interesting. Anything educational goes. Okay I’ll start:

This is a course titled “Learning to Learn”, lead by the late Richard Hamming at the US Naval Postgraduate School. Mr. Hamming made a number of important contributions in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and communications. The lectures are very unique - a lot of personal stories from Mr. Hamming mixed with insightful introductions to many technical subjects. He’s an intense guy and I found these lectures to be quite inspiring.

12 Likes

Going through the backlog of tutorials on Adobe Behance… when not binge watching Clone Wars which just became available in India via Hotstar/Disney+.

1 Like

in spanish, the ITF lauch videos and conferences super interesting

and Duggee with my son

edited: It is appear as a answer to the ananda.namaste.1 post , but is not, I just push the wrong reply button

1 Like

hainbach on music production and composition

8 Likes

Amazing series!

6 Likes

SuperCollider is a very powerful DAW / Audio programming environment. The SuperCollider website describes it as a:

Platform for audio synthesis and algorithmic composition

Here is a series of introductory SuperCollider video tutorials by Eli Fieldsteel. Mr. Fieldsteel also has some of his livestreamed SuperCollider courses available on his YouTube channel.

8 Likes

World Science Festival

4 Likes

Don’t know why youtube suggested this bit of footage about electric fields but I thought you zany kids might dig it:

9 Likes

Great clip @dag2099 thanks for posting. Prof Laithwaite was often on TV in Britain when I was growing up and as you can see he had a gift for clear demonstration and explanation of science. I remember he delivered the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on TV one year. (Every year around Christmas the BBC broadcasts a series of 4 or 5 live lectures by an eminent scientist aimed at young people. Humour, audience participation and explosions are encouraged! I still watch every year :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I guess he’s the guy that the Hamming Window is named after.

2 Likes

Why people believe they can’t draw - and how to prove they can | Graham Shaw | TEDxHull

1 Like

Lockdown… week 8:

6 Likes

Richard Hamming also gave us the Hamming distance function (metric) for comparing two binary data strings. While comparing two binary strings of equal length, Hamming distance is the number of bit positions in which the two bits are different.

• Paul “Uncle Chrome” Artola
2 Likes
4 Likes

Full Stanford University course: Human Behavioral Biology. Instructor is Robert Sapolsky. Fascinating stuff

1 Like

Tom Erbe/Soundhack - “Designing the Make Noise Erbe-Verb” - Reverb Design Lecture

5 Likes

Vince Clarke talking about the ARP 2600 in a slightly silly video:

All episodes of James Burke’s Connections. Old TV show but still great: Connections by James Burke (Seasons 1-3) : James Burke (BBC) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

PureData tutorials I like (lots of interesting stuff about synthesis in general):

Collin’s Lab:

4 Likes

Ambisonics in Ableton

2 Likes

Sound maps at Covid time, from MIT’s Senseable City Lab: http://senseable.mit.edu/sonic-cities/

1 Like
1 Like