=== vcp challenge #76: one voice ===

what a wonderful drone generator :notes:

1 Like

Excellent!

1 Like

one more try:

just one instance of dark energy,
I changed the cable connections to the gate-seq-64 and the S&H eight on the fly while recording it.

the patch:
2023_09_10_VCP-76_minimals_ALT_02.vcv (22.1 KB)

7 Likes

That was truly angelic, surprising what a load of reverb can do to one sound. Amazing

1 Like

Very nice :+1:

1 Like

When I thought about “one voice,” I had the idea to take something that sounded very “synth-y” and morph it into something that sounds (to me) like more of a musical-instrument voice, in the neighborhood of a cello. I also enjoyed figuring out how to use Bogaudio modules for weighted selections of note pitches and lengths.

There’s a patchstorage link in the Youtube video description. As a new user, I wasn’t able to post a second link here.

I’ve only been using VCV Rack for a month or so—I would be grateful for tips and constructive criticism.

9 Likes

That’s what I’d call a great start. It’s a highly enjoyable and creative piece. Well done!

1 Like

Hi all, here is my first entry for the challenge.

It’s a SEQ-64 driving the modal synth from Audible instruments.

Patch file: Drunk drums desperately trying to attract a fat bass in jungle (vcp-76).vcv (15.7 KB)

3 Likes

Another one, this time Entropia driving Energy, all from Geodesics.

Patch file: Sonar technician post-traumatic insomnia (vcp-76).vcv (16.3 KB)

6 Likes

My last patch. This time, Energy is driven by a Super Arpeggiator with some randomized modulations of inputs.

Some polyphonic illusion for this one

Patch file: Chirping Mechanical bird playing with delay effect (vcp-76).vcv (16.0 KB)

7 Likes

Thank you for this challenge. It’s a simple one with LFOs. just get the vibe.

3 Likes

Here is my second entry:

ADDR-Seq goes through the quantizer and the first LFO modulates the octave on a stepped waveform. The oscillator is String VCO which has a modulated exciter. the VCF is also modulated. then there is delay and reverb with the LFOs connected to the input.

3 Likes

I have another entry:

I kept it minimal. clock on 60bpm and ADDR Sequencer for VCO, VCF, ADSR, and LFO for the octave all from Bogaudio.

6 Likes

Hello there and friendly greetings!

Here I am with my patch! Please, keep in mind I don’t really make Music, I make noises! :wink:

As Ablaut said:

– only one audio path

– as much processing as you want

– no mixer modules

– no polyphony

Well, I really don’t know if it is “very cool” but I like it. I realized only after I uploaded it that you might want to change retail Caudal with free Caudal (it does change nothing in the patch) and you might want to download my Chiptune blank plugin (just for the aesthetic). The rest is absolutely trivial: one VCO driven by a sequencer; the output is fìltered by 6 reverb and 6 delay, each one of them has a state memorized in støermelder 8face each of those state is randomly selected by a Bernoulli gate and slapped on by a strip module. Seriously, nothing fancy here. The VCO signal is monophonic. Some eyecandies “just because”… :slight_smile:

PATCHSTORAGE

4 Likes

I have been enjoying this thread a lot. Thanks everyone! So here is my (late) entry for the challenge:

A simple idea and an excercise in generative technique. For a sounddesign of a theaterplay, I made an arpeggiating machine bowing down and up again. Very minimal, very quiet.

A piano (Felt Instruments LEKKO) plays arpeggios that butterfly around two chords. The chords variate slightly themselves and together create generative pitch classes quite elegantly.

The arpeggios are also bound to a certain range. The lower bound of this range is modulated downwards and up again slowly opening up to more complex melodic material and closing again.

It is very Philip Glass-like and it is quite elegant. And it is very useful for my work for a theater group.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

I love the sound of a Benjolin, and it is a wonderful starting point for creating a single voice patch.

I have created multiple VCV Rack virtual emulations of the Benjolin, and gotten great satisfaction. I also had the chance to compare my most recent version with an actual hardware Benjolin from After Later Audio, and was thrilled at how similar my emulation is.

Here are some of my favorite Benjolin emulator patches/recordings in reverse chronological order. They are all from the same thread, but collected here for easy access. Patches are available at the links.

Showcasing 11 diverse sounds in one patch:

A Dark Foreboding Patch

My first try adding delay with an early form of the emulator

Some great diverse sounds here.

A short emulation of a sax!

Long form auto-generative ambient piece with my first emulator

This is still one of my favorites

2 Likes

Making use of Macro Oscillator 2’s palette of timbres, but always playing one at a time, blending and bleeding only through delay and reverb FX. Hope this does not violate the rules. Proteus as pattern creator. Caudal for semi-chaotic modulation.

This is my first VCP and I am late to the party anyway. I was close to jumping ship on this one because of niggling doubts :laughing:, so any comments would be cordially appreciated.

https://patchstorage.com/head-in-the-clouds-vcp-76/

2 Likes

Just getting this done minutes ago… I will get the patch up on Patchstorage tomorrow morning. I present, A Man of Constant Chill. Plaits - Inharmonic String Modeling into Spectral Clouds for the VCP-76 Challenge.

6 Likes

Pretty cool sounds.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: