Surge XT

Oooh two bugs.

The tempo sync works fine on the LFO but the label is “off by one” so if you dial in 16ths you actually get the ‘prior’ one on the label wchih is 1/8th triplets.

I will fix that this weekend.

Glad you pushed me on that module @LarsBjerregaard that would be an embarrassing bug to ship.

2 Likes

Not just a VCA, but this module is planned.

8 Likes

Nice! So you wouldn’t use the LFOxEG outputs with those noise modes?

Makes sense. I was never into DAW’s or VST’s so I wouldn’t know, but your explanation makes sense.

Yeah, it looks nice. I just commented on the issue, and I think with some additions it could be really great and surprisingly unique in Rack. I would use it a lot, for sure.

Thanks - I replied to your issue it Github :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also considering a Quad LFO like this to pair with the Mod Matrix module…

It would have 3 different modes:

Mode 1: 4 Independent LFOs (unsynced only)

Mode 2: 4 LFOs that share the same frequency (that of LFO 1) but different phase - 90, 180, 270 degrees by default, but the phase of channels 2-4 can be set freely (LFO 1 can run unsynced or synced)

Mode 3: 4 LFOs where LFOs 2-4 have a frequency that is either a div or mult of the freq of LFO 1. (LFO 1 can run unsynced or synced)

16 Likes

Nice! With a menu option for uni/bi-polar… What would Deform do?

There would be a menu setting for Range - which would include both Unipolar and Bipolar options (+/- 5V, 0-10V etc)

Check out the existing LFOxEG module to see what Deform does (it’s a bit like a waveshaper).

1 Like

Awesome! Looking forward to the EG VCAs.

I’d also like to request to Drum Sample VCO, for loading one-shot and drum samples. Kind of like Bidoo Canard, with trig in, sample start/end, envelope controls. That would be a perfect addition to the other modules here.

Great work by everyone involved!

That’s outside of the scope of Surge - all these modules are based on the existing VST.

But you should definitely check out Voxglitch Groovebox if you haven’t already - 8 channels of drum samples with plenty of per step param locks including start/end and attack/release. There’s no trig in per sample but it has a good built-in sequencer.

Or the Lomas Sampler if you just want to do one drum sample channel at a time.

Both are excellent.

4 Likes

I would if I was attached to a midi keyboard and wanted a fading modulation per key or some such

In the surge instrument these lfos exist per voice and also per scene (so independent of voice) and how you use the envelope depends a lot on that intent

1 Like

sounds a bit like the LFO in my ancient “chopper”… That was a nice LFO :wink:

lfo-waveforms

2 Likes

Superb idea, the quad lfos and EG/VCA will really complete this collection/ecosystem and fills some small holes in the rack. Surge XT is just about the most exciting addition to rack I have ever seen, many thanks!!

2 Likes

Stupid question here. On some of the reverb presets they have (send) in the name. What does that mean?

The surge instrument allows both inline and send configurations of the fx. So for a few presets we have versions good for send insert vs direct. The xt modules just use the surge instrument presets directly hence the carryover

The difference is like patching inline vs patching on an aux bus. And defacto means “mix is 1” vs “mix is 0.4 or so” depending on the effect

1 Like

EDIT: Now with video and patch of bug (1.)

Been playing around with these modules for the past few days. Can’t say enough good things about them.

I’ve got one (potential) bug report and just 2 little feature requests. Other than that, things went very smooth in every patch.

1. Clocking LFOxEG: I patched a clock (1/4 pulse) and it successfully detected the bpm. However when I select the rate, it’s like it’s off by one increment. Meaning that if I want the LFO to go at quarter notes I have to turn the knob until the label says 1/8th dotted and so on. Unipolar is set to on. I think it comes down to the knob label changing before the actual waveform display changes. Let me see if I can attach a patch + video.

Surge_LFOxEG-Rate_Bug.vcv (2.7 KB)

1. Feature: The „distortion“ module needs a mix knob. Even if it’s just in the right click menu. Of course I can patch a send and return module before every instance, or patch an aux with mixmaster. But I really want to parallel saturate/distort various different sounds in my patch because that module is simply gorgeous at that. Seriously, it can give you guitar amp like distortion when paired with an IR Reverb of a cabinet. :heart: I know the UI is quite packed, but I think a mix knob could fit in there.

2. Feature: for every module with a mix knob, could we get a right click menu setting to „freeze“ the mix knob. Valhalla does this on their reverbs and it’s a blessing when changing presets / reverb algorithms.

That’s all from me. :grin:Thanks again for giving us these awesome tools for free and for listening to all the feedback.

1 Like

re 1: Surge XT - #303 by baconpaul

1 Like

Its such a long thread, I must have overseen that post. I think my video shows a second issue (starting at approx. 17sec.) which is that sometimes knob and label change but the waveform display does not. So something additional is off there.

I literally just put in a PR fixing this. Like just now. The problem was that the snap-to-temposync logic in the display was not doing one thing the actual engine did. Should be fixed in a nightly in about an hour.

I’ll add the other two ideas as post 1.0 GitHub issues. Thanks! (Edit: GitHub issues #622 and #623)

3 Likes

:point_up: This would be great indeed.

1 Like

Hi guys,

First off, these are great modules, really enjoying them.

I have a question : I just upgraded to the latest nightly (SurgeXTRack-2.0.beta.0-nightly-9390bab-win) from an older build (SurgeXTRack-2.xt-1.1.1-nightly-4fc11f7-win), and something seems to have changed in either the Twist VCO, the Treemonster, or the spring reverd, but the voice has lost a lot of its harsh screamy-ness that i had been using it for. Did you make any changes to those modules recently, and could you please tell me that they were so I can work out best how to get that sound back to the way it was?

Sadly, while I do have the older plugin DLLs, I do not know how to “roll back” the plugin to render out audio/video to let you hear what I mean. If you could advise on how to do that, it would be great.

Cheers!

note: edited post to include the proper filenames of the builds that I was actually talking about. Seems I didn’t install any updates between those 2 versions despite having downloaded in intermediary update.