Surge XT

I might have added the dc blocker in between those commits - try turning it off on the right mouse menu of the vco. Nothing else has changed in the dsp of those modules. If it does make a noticeable change to a voice I would love to know the settings and patch.

If it doesn’t I can look at other possible changes between those hashes but really I think the dc blocker is the most likely one, and I made it togglable in case something like this happened!

1 Like

That seems to have at least partially brought back the scream I was liking. Thank you for the assistance.

Out of interest I just tried to install a later patch and must have been doing something wrong. Tried just dropping the .vcvplugin file in the Rack2 folder, did nothing. Same after I moved the old SurgeXTFolder folder out of the plugins subdirectory. If I delete the SurgeXTRack first it recreates it (empty anyway) but no updates.

Any idea what step I’m missing?

1. quit all rack instances
  2. delete Documents/Rack2/plugins/SurgeXTRack
  3. put the .vcvplugin in your Documents/Rack2/plugins
  4. restart

note step 2 is rack2/plugins not rack2

if that doesn’t work i’d need to see your log file and know your OS

I only have SurgeRack and SurgeXTRack folders in the plugins folder

Delete SurgeXTRack

Yes, realised I hadn’t put it in the plugins folder as you said. Works fine now, cheers.

1 Like

Oh and thanks again for implementing that high contrast monochrome option - helps Mr Magoo here out a lot.

2 Likes

One more on the drawing board…

A dual Function generator that has (at least) 5 modes:

Mode 1: AD Envelope (trigger)

Mode 2: AHR Envelope (or maybe ASR?) - (gate)

Mode 3: Cycle - a cycling AD envelope (in effect a unipolar LFO)

Mode 4: Burst - An LFO inside an envelope where frequency of cycles and length/shape of envelope combine to create a burst

Mode 5: LFO - A bipolar Surge LFO with Rate, Phase, Deform and Amplitude controls

For modes 1-3, the Rise and Fall of the envelope would be a continuous Log>Lin>Exp curve, with Shape knobs for each segment.

EOR and EOC outputs for each channel.

Again, these are just initial concepts/designs for now and won’t be in the initial release but will hopefully follow a bit later (and they may well change a bit before they do).

24 Likes

Love the idea, like rampage with built in scope, too too good.

1 Like

More is better. If you think of any more, make those too!

6 Likes

Oh hell yes! These are all so amazing and pretty.

1 Like

Oh and I submitted to the library this morning also so should see it in a stable release soon!

23 Likes

So would Mode 5 allow to modulate the other envelope with a looping/cycling AD?

You’d be able self patch it through the mod matrix so yes you could modulate one side with the other.

3 Likes

Congrats on the release submit!

1 Like

Nice!! Mode 1 & 2 might help me model my first synthesizer (Kawai 100F) in VCV Rack.

1 Like

These are so nice! They sound great and they’re just beautiful to look at!

I noticed one small thing: When the LFO is synced to an external clock, and a cable get’s disconnected from the gate input, it makes an off-beat jump.

1 Like

Yeah that is intentional in that a switch to ungated gives different lfo and envelope behavior so it resets the full lfo

Happy to discuss it not doing that but since gate defines poly there’s also some choices you have to make in the polyphonic cases

1 Like

And glad you enjoy them! They should be in the library very soon :slight_smile: