Stoermelder's PackOne v1.4.0 - new module INTERMIX

MIDI Cat sounds brilliant! Looking forward to checking this out. Thanks!

EDIT
…and it’s already in my default patch. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Wow this looks interesting, might have to dust off my launchpad and see if it can be of use now.

1 Like

You’re doing the Lord’s work son! Any chance of getting a relative knob mode where one CC value is an increment and another is a decrement? Ableton Live can do that and I have a vintage Doepfer endless knob box that can send those.

1 Like

You mean two different CCs controlling the same parameter, one incrementing the value, the other decrementing the value?

I think he means 2 way communication where the value of the parameter is sent to the device which in turn sets the midi knob value to the approximate cc value.

Two-way communication is already possible with MIDI-CAT.

1 Like

What I’m referring to specifically to ‘Reaktor Incremental Controller’ mode, described on page 35 of the Pocket Dial Manual:

This isn’t hard to implement, though you want to have an input to specify a starting value on reset or patch load.

For example Native Instrument's REAKTOR uses the following type of relative parameter control.
The normal MIDI controller messages are read in this way:
controller data value (third controller byte) = 63 → decrement one step
controller data value (third controller byte) = 65 → increment one step
Pocket Dial is able to generate these data types as well. The presets 85~88 contain some examples.
We call this message type "relativ binary mode".

Another mode is “Two’s Complement”

Some applications use a method which is often called "two's complement" (there are other methods as well) to interpret values from 1-63 as incremental values and 63-127 as decremental (is that a word?) values*. Any CC can be used this way, it's up to the software to interpret the data.`

Works great. I’d still like to see MIDI-CC with the capability to initialize the controller to the mapped values upon loading a patch. More often than not that’s all I really need, and it’s nice to setup all controls off your controller once, and forget about it, then simply connect stuff to the output ports of MIDI-CC. For one, I prefer wires over an “invisible hand”, and I can imagine this to be slightly less CPU hungry since no constant two-way communication is needed.

Anyways. Thank you very much. These utility modules more than welcome.

I‘m afraid I don’t understand what you mean. There is no mapping involved in the MIDI-CC module, the module does only output voltages. Which values do you expect to be initialized?

The values as they were last while saving, so when you open up your project all controls will be initialized back to where you’ve left them. There’s no direct mapping to controls on other vcv modules, right. But the MIDI-CC module doesn’t need to know about that. It has the current/hot value, that’s all that is needed. Store it in the patch, and send it back to the controller once the patch is loaded again, so all knobs and faders (or what not) are in a congruent state again. That is all. The idea here is that things controlled by the midi controller are only changed with the midi controller, so the continuous feedback isn’t needed at all. Just the initialization to restore state; a one-time feedback (manual re-initialization could be good to have too, in case the controller went away and is back up again, so you don’t have to reload the project). Does that help? I guess in the meantime I will simply use your MIDI-CAT and hock all my controls up to 8vert(s) and save that as a preset/template for my use.

:laughing::+1:

Reminded me of this :

5 Likes

Thought I would try MIDI-CAT with my launchpad mk2 again this morning and I’m having some trouble. I would like to, at first, assign the pads to the Lomas Gate Sequencer or Impromptu Gate Seq 64 but the assignments don’t work correctly. If I set the input mode to toggle then I can press the pad to turn the step/gate on but if I press it again the gate/step isn’t turned off although the launchpad light is off. If I press again then the step/gate turns off but now the launchpad shows it as being on.

Momentary mode (of course) allows me to turn steps on and off as you would expect (one press on, one press off) but now the launchpad doesn’t show the status of the step, it just lights up when I press it.

Is it even possible to set this up as I want to?

I know about that problem, unfortunately I can’t do anything about that. There are many modules that toggle button state, but their parameter values stay the same. This means the current button state is stored internally and is not exposed to Rack or any other modules.

An example for that is VCV Mutes and Bogaudio 8Mute. If you enable parameter tooltips and press the buttons you‘ll notice that in one module the buttons are toggled, in the other the parameter values of the buttons actually change. I guess when you map your controller to the Bogaudio module it will work as you would expect.

Seems like the tooltip on the VCV Mutes is reflecting the mouse up or down state rather than the state of the mute button itself.

Oh I see, I didn’t notice the tooltip values and the Bogaudio Mutes does indeed work as I expect. I think I have found a work around though but the number of modules needed for 2x16 steps is crazy. Thank goodness for Strip!

I have discovered that XOR’s klee sequencer works really well though. I have the first 4 rows of the launchpad controlling all the switches and the 5th controlling which logic output gets sent to the step/clock and the hand of chance. Makes for some easy and fun experimentation.

1 Like

Version 1.2.0 is now available in the library:

New in v1.2.0

• Module 4ROUNDS
    • New module, randomizer for up to 16 input signals to create 15 output signals
  • Module SIPO
    • New module, serial-in parallel-out shift register with polyphonic output and CV controls for skipping and incrementing on sampled values
  • Module 8FACE
    • Added option to switch between left and right side controlled module (#50)
    • Follow voltage standards for Rack (ignore SLOT for 1ms after trigger on RESET)
  • Module µMAP
    • Added option to invert output (#46)
    • Selected voltage range (-5V…5V or 0V…10V) is also used for OUT-port
  • Module ReMOVE Lite
    • Value is set to the mapped parameter when using IN-port for recording (#48)
    • Added EOC-mode for OUT-port (#47)
    • Follow voltage standards for Rack (ignore SEQ# for 1ms after trigger on RESET)
  • Module STRIP
    • Changed LEDs to triangle shape
    • Load and save dialogs default to “patches” folder of the current user (#41)
  • All stoermelder-modules are now shipped with dark mounting-screws, improved jack-ports and handy trimpots

Some manuals still need to be updated and extended, I will take care of it in next few days. In the meantime, if you have any questions, as always feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

8Face has totally changed how I worked and made modules like the various Turing Machines MUCH more useful.

2 Likes

A little scared to update as Audio 64 is a total lifesaver.

How come this module only appears in the nightly builds and not in the main release?

I think all your work is amazingly unique and pure genius btw :slight_smile:

1 Like