Seaside Modular Announcements Thread: v2.5.2

Never mind on this. It was the Chinenual update that was causing my crashes. Actually, I probably accidentally clicked on “Update All” and got upgraded to a downgrade :wink:

New build is available for testing.

I am adding quantized pitch control to Jawari, but since it’s not… encouraged… the inputs for this are sort of “hidden”, so that it doesn’t invite you to mess with the pitch by CV, but if you want to, go nuts. There are limits on the range though, since the sound does not survive moving more than a couple octaves up (and one down).

The left side jack controls the root tone. This will move all four strings by the same interval. The right side jack only adjusts the first string. CV is additive with the knobs. Demo here of what it can sound like, although I’m sure this is tame compared to what will happen to the poor tampura out there in the wild…

Also, I’ve added the new Indian scales to Proteus as promised. Here’s a sample of Ahir Bhairav, with Jawari in the background:

Please let me know if you encounter any problems, and you can also log any issues on github.

12 Likes

I am really liking the Ahir Bhairav scale. Are you aware of any quantizer in Rack that can quantize to your implementation of Ahir Bhairav? If not, would it make sense for me to use the Impromptu AdaptiveQuantizer to learn the scale in the patch?

I haven’t even tried the new CV control features.

EDIT: The Impromptu Adaptive Quantizer works great for dynamically learning a scale and quantizing to that.

Will Proteus always put a lot of info lines in the log file, as it does now?

I thought this latest build got rid of the last straggling print lines. Is it still doing that for you? Not intended. I can scrub it again.

I shouldn’t reduce a raga to a scale of course (a raga is more than just a scale!) so I have to atone for this but the notes of the scale that Ahir Bhairav is based on are S bR G M P D bN S, so a flattened 2 and 7.

For sure. What I am doing is taking the Meander melody with arp and the bass part and quantizing to your Ahir Bhairav scale as learned by Impromptu Adaptive Quantizer. I hope to not offend any raga purists.

Of course, I am mixing in the Proteus and Jawari parts also. I think it sounds very good and interesting to my raga naive Western ears.

1 Like

Oh sure, nothing wrong with using that scale. The crime is in my calling it “ahir bhairav”. But it’s a misdemeanor.

I have a new commit that takes out all the INFO statements.

1 Like

Needed to repair disk errors and update to most recent rack version. At least those steps were taken and no more crashes.

2 Likes

I’m playing with Jawari for the first time tonight, it sounds fantastic, thank you for all the hard work and to all the testers! Very fun module.

3 Likes

New version, 2.4.2:

Jawari:

• Adds v/oct tuning

Proteus/Px:

• Adds tuning, and bhairavi scales. Tuning mode just outputs C’s and is for tuning your oscillators (holdover from hardware version).

• Fixes bugs loading and saving of sequences

• Density is now accurately maintained when the sequence changes in length

• Sequence light positions have been fixed

• Lights no longer advance during rest, instead light 1 blinks orange

• Rest and Transpose adjustments go away if Px is not connected to Proteus

7 Likes

Tala, a sample-based tabla machine, is now available for beta testing on github:

Demo video here:

As always, thanks for your help in finding issues, you can mention them here or log them on github.

16 Likes

Oh wow, this is very exiting! I look forward to testing this, I really like what I’m hearing in the demo. If it’s good there’ll be a new, sudden influx of Indian Rack users :smile:

1 Like

The TA button, when pressed first sounds fine, then clicks and right channel goes silent. Not tried yet to trigger it, but suspect it’s the same . The NA one clicks at the end. Triggering does cause same, but even worse, if it cllicks, and sound cuts on right channel, it cuts the wholoe audio out’s left channel until next trigger. Very disconcerting. Happens rarely and not sure which other output does it as I skipped the problem ones. Also I see the DHIN port lighting up as if I pressed the button, occasionally, but there is nothing connected to it.

here is the patch: FG_Tala_Testing.vcv (13.4 KB)

MacOS 13.2.1, M1 Mini 16GB, Rack 2.3.0 Pro (in standalone mode). 48Khz, 24bit, 256 byte buffer

1 Like

Seems ok on linux, however every now & then it spits something out of the left channel that causes Mixmaster meters to peg for a while, nothing audible though.

Great! I will install the test build and start integrating it into my sitar emulation patches. I need to remember this is a test build. I just realized recently that the patches I have been posting were based on a test build of Proteus and Jawari and users may not of heard what I intended if they had not installed the test build.

The demo sounds excellent to me.

Thank you for developing this module.

1 Like

I dropped Tala into one of my sitar patches, replacing the Trummer tabla emulation. Super easy and sounds very good. Unless someone finds a serious Tala bug, I will start work to retrofit my several sitar, Proteus and Jawari patches to use Tala.

Here is my first test of using Tala as a tabla machine along with my other sitar et.al. patch.

Note: This patch uses the beta test version of Seaside Modular plugin and Tala module. Make sure you have installed this before trying this patch.

Edit: With 44.1kHz sample rate.

Tala Tabla Test -1.vcv (14.4 KB)

But the audio recording is at 48kHz.

3 Likes

Thanks. I suspect my sample interpolation needs some work (the sounds are 44k). Curious if you get the same issues if your rack sample rate is set to 44kHz.

2 Likes

Oh my! This plugin is rounding out to a mighty fine collection of modules that play beautifully together. Exciting stuff!

3 Likes

Ah, good point. I have now switched my audio interface and Rack sample rate to 44.1HHz. It does sound better, but since I have recorded at 48kHz, I will leave that up, but here is the 44.1kHz patch:

Tala Tabla Test -1.vcv (14.4 KB)

Edit, well that was probably not necessary as the sample rate is set in the Audio module and at the Rack engine level.