Rack Pro 2.2.0 bug - only DAW audio driver accessible from Plugin

It seems there is quite a significant bug in Rack Pro 2.2.0 that prevents audio drivers other than DAW being accessible to the Rack plugin.

In Rack 2.1.2 I can access my Mac’s Core Audio driver (and therefore my Expert Sleepers) directly from the audio module in the VST2 plugin. In 2.2.0 that Core Audio option is not available.

I reported this to VCV this morning but am posting it here as it seems quite a lot of people are wondering what is up and wasting their time / pulling their hair out trying to get access to their Expert Sleepers etc from the plugin - particularly PC users for whom it is not easy to get that set up even when Rack is working properly - which it is not…

I had to revert back to 2.1.2 to get access to Core Audio and Expert Sleepers again from the plugin.

5 Likes

The dev. blog link to older versions.

4 Likes

I’ve been informed by VCV support that this will be fixed in the next update.

6 Likes

Hey Steve did you have any luck with the 2.2.2 update that was recently launched? I still cant select Asio drivers in the plugin even if the DAW uses Direct sound or Wasapi. Ive seen a few people post a theory that the issue is with asio, but this doesnt seem to be the case because even if the asio driver isnt being used by Windows or Ableton, it still isnt availble to select in the plugin version of VCV. Oddly enough, with wasapi or directx selected on the audio 8 , i can see the ES9 inputs and outputs but just no option for ASIO

Hey Ryan - I’m on Mac so I don’t face this issue fortunately but you’re not the first to mention this ongoing issue with ASIO and it does sound like it might be a bug.

As I understand it, ASIO is exclusive so if you are using it as the driver for your DAW, then it wouldn’t be available to Rack. But if you are using a different driver for your DAW as you say, then I would imagine it SHOULD be available to Rack.

If I was you I would write to VCV support and make it very clear, as you did above, that you cannot access the ASIO driver from the Audio module in the Rack plugin even though you are using different drivers for the DAW and ASIO is not being used anywhere else.

@Richie - can you shed any light on this at all please?

I believe that all ASIO drivers are intentionally excluded from the list inside a DAW, but I don’t know why. I’d guess it’s because they’re notoriously crashy when two things try to use them at once, and there’s no way to know whether the DAW is using them or not, but that’s just a guess.

1 Like