Nohmad Strange Attractors: VCV 1.x

Being a fan of Nohmad Strange Attractors since ages, I am totally in awe discovering that Joel Robichaud has made the update for it!!! :star_struck:

HERE it is the repo (I have even compiled it by myself! DUH!), it works 100% on Win10 64bit and it is awesome as usual!

YAY MATH!!

For all of you who are curious about attractors, here a couple of articles I have found quite easy to read, not much Math, don’t worry :wink: but I think it is good to know how our beloved plugins work, at least the basic stuffs, right? And yeah, I do love Math quite a lot!

LORENZ ATTRACTOR

ROSSLER ATTRACTOR

You are welcome!

3 Likes

Mac version please?

You don’t have to ask me, @jue:wink:
My educated guesses are that you can either compile it (and if I did it, very likely everybody can do it. I slavishly followed these instructions: HOW TO BUILD A VCV PLUGIN) or you can ask directly to Joel Robichaud via GitHub (the link is in my previous message).

i was in fact inspired by nohmad in making my wiqid anomalies chaotic lfos. i have included the lorenz attractor, but not the rossler one, as i don’t find it as interesting. tho it would be easy enough to add if people would like my version of it. i did add several other attractors.

the main differences are that i focus on the lfo range and have extended it a lot on the slower end. my modules do not really go into audio range, while nohmad’s does. also, i only expose one variable to be tweaked with the “shape” knob (tweaking several variables quickly leads to more stable non-chaotic cycles or escaping to infinity). on the other hand, i do have a z output, plus a self-invented fourth output derived from x+y-z.

if there is interest in implementing other attractors, feel free to contact me about it!

2 Likes

Would be nice if you can do the Rossler also! Was wondering why you did not included this because its relative famous.

1 Like

Oh boy. Oh boy. The random generators in VCV are getting more and more numerous! I can’t be more happy!!

Well, shall we talk about Chua’s attractor or Hénon’s attractor, apart of course Rossler’s?

And, if we consider the general definition of “strange attractor” we can also include primitive fractals like the Cantor’s Dust (and I can hear echoes of another plugin, here…)

I know Cantor’s Dust is not an attractor in the rigorous sense but if you want I can give a mathematical explanation about that! :smiley:

Too bad, I cannot help at all in coding but about Math, that’s another matter. There, I can help!

So yeah, there are some strange attractors that can be implemented, if you want!

2 Likes