Modules with ARM builds!

just installed ARM vcvrack and opening my patch and all the modules were missing except the vcv scope and vcv audio module.

is there any way to try my patch in ARM rack?

it had a ton of bog audio modules in it, wonder if those are arm compatible

Look at VCV Library - Plugins. When running the browser on a Mac it now shows which plugins are not ARM compatible with a delightfully irritating red bubble.

4 Likes

does this mean if they are compatible with ARM there will be no mention at all and i can assume it works for arm? or is it random which ones are marked by users as incompatible?

If it is available, it should work for ARM. If not, you should report a bug to the plugin’s developer.

Of course, you do need to download the ARM versions for everything via the Library menu. The Intel and ARM versions are now kept separately inside your user folder.

I did that, updated and downloaded library. My patch still doesn’t load…

Assuming that you quit and restarted Rack after downloading everything, I’m not sure what might be wrong. You might also want to look in your Rack user folder to see if everything is there.

Unfortunately, I am still using an Intel machine, so diagnosing what is happening with ARM – other than to keep track of what is available so I can decide when to upgrade my computer – isn’t something I can much help with.

My understanding from elsewhere in the forums, however, is that everything should just work (except of course for those plugins that aren’t yet available).

just had to restart i guess. working now! except NYSTHI. everything else in my patch is working. such a shame that nobody else makes tuner module that shows you the frequency of whatever you plug into it. my patch uses several tuner modules to keep track of everything, nobody else has one as far as i know besides NYSTHI

There is a pre-release version of the NYSTHI plugin for ARM available here.

3 Likes

holy shit thank you!!!

1 Like

You have a few more options actually:

I especially like the one from Chinenual.

2 Likes

Had to check… yeah, only shown in a browser running on a Mac. That’s incredibly silly, straight up “clippy” territory. Grr… Andrew for chrisake :weary:

Ok, I got tired of this - so here’s the list of the 25 plugins for Rack2, that are in the library, and are NOT available for ARM/Apple Silicon in the library:

Open source:

Causal Systems
Coirt / Bark
Digital Apothecary
Fehler Fabrik
stocaudio

Closed source:

AS Drums n Filters
AS Seqs n Tools
Autodafe - DrumKit
Autodafe - REDs
Autodafe
BB Modules
Crystal Palace
DrumKit Pro
Erogenous Tones Free
Frequency Domain
Instruo
Loopus Modules
Madness
Number9
Oxidlab Entferner Free Modules
Oxidlab Entferner Modules
Polymaths
Semiramis
Synthetic FX
Synthetic

I’m keeping the list updated on a regular basis.

Note that some of these might have ARM builds outside the library, in nightlies etc. Feel free to post links to these underneath. Also feel free to write when a plugin from this list becomes available for ARM in the library, then I’ll update this post and take it off the list.

To reproduce/update this list for yourself you can do the following - In the terminal on Mac or Linux, or on Windows in MSYS2 (or WSL, …) run this command:

curl 'https://library.vcvrack.com/plugins' | \
grep -F 'Not available for macOS ARM64' | \
grep -o '<strong\>.*</strong\>' | \
sed -e 's/<strong>//g' -e 's/<\/strong//g' -e 's/&amp;/\&/g' | \
sort -f > no-arm.txt

Now you have the list in the file “no-arm.txt”.

List of plugins where the developer has said they will add ARM support as soon as they get time for it:

• Instruo
6 Likes

This one is in the works. Dev is busy with it.

1 Like

I know Nysthi is available for Arm.

1 Like

Not in the library. But I’ve added the pre-release to a list in my post.

2 Likes

thank you for pointing these out! i had seen the ones that show note, but not the alikins which shows frequency that i need, terrific!

1 Like

Thanks Lars - that is a fantastic resource!

Before I discovered the joys of VCV, I was a Windows batch scripting wonk. One of the batch tools I created was JREPL.BAT - a hybrid javascript / batch script. The thing is a beast, with loads of options and built in help. It sort of combines the capabilities of grep and sed into one tool. It is pure script that relies on standard built in Windows utilities. The JREPL.BAT script is available at https://www.dostips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6044

Assuming you have the JREPL.BAT in a directory included within the PATH environment variable, then the following one-liner will produce the no-arm.txt

curl "https://library.vcvrack.com/plugins" 2>nul | jrepl ".*<strong>(.*)</strong>.*Not available for macOS ARM64.*" "$1" /a | sort >no-arm.txt

Strip off >no-arm.txt from the end if you simply want to print the list to the screen.

Of course, JREPL.BAT only works on a Windows machine.

Why would a Windows user care about plugins without ARM support you ask? - because I have VCV installed on both a Windows desktop for use at home, and an M1 MacBook Air for the stage.

But I suppose JREPL.BAT would not be of any use to most Mac users.

1 Like

Oh ha the old surge isn’t arm? I should take a peek at that one day (obviously low priority though)

2 Likes

Impressive! Beautifully showcases your slightly obsessive/compulsive nature, in the best possible way of course :slight_smile:

Impressive if that produces the same result on Windows, haven’t tried yet…

1 Like

how to proceed after the download ?