Modules with ARM builds!

question related to this, is there a reason to simply not have universal builds?

with the sdk using makefiles the build would only need a few extra flags to support it…

4 Likes

If i helps anyone, I wrote a little script to build and push module sets on GitHub into my rack dir on my mac so I can get enough to do my dev and test work. Nothing special but figured I’d share while we are in the interim before arm library.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, just a heads up: AS free plugin (and both paid ones) are running fine on Mac Rack 2.2.2 free ARM

I guess the users with the paid plugins have to wait until an official Rack ARM release is available?

4 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11k81iJwAW_xP3fNGO9ZmNh-XwS2DexbF

1 Like

are those all being distributed in accordance with their licenses? GPL-3 has a lot to say about distributing binaries.

If you read the README-LINUX-CHROMEBOOK-armv8-a-BUILDS.md it explains how to obtain the source, or more exactly how the source was obtained.

3 Likes

ah, yes. tx.

How do you install arm plugins that are already compiled? I decided to install VCV Rack Free ARM but not sure how to install modules? Dragging the arm64 plugin file to plugins folder doesn’t appear to work?

I have Rack Pro installed as well, so not if it’s an issue with having both installed?

You need to restart Rack after that.

Yeah, I don’t have rack running when I drag in the plugin files into the folder.

Are the files (in the folder) still .vcvplugin files or has rack turned them into folders after restart ?

So depending on the build SDK and rack version you may need manual interveition

Between rack SDK 2.2.0 and 2.2.2 the name of the arm64 plugin changed from plugin.dylib to plugin-arm64.dylib. This is a good thing - it means that you can have arm and x86 plugins installed in parallel in one rack directory. But it means that builds with the earliest ARM sdk won’t work.

So I would suggest the following

1. Try something which has been built with a recent SDK for ARM to make sure your workflow works at all. surge-xt, airwin2rack and bacon plugs are all in this camp

2. If those work for you then when you grab a different .vcvplugin after you start rack check if ~/Documents/Rack2/plugins/(PLUGIN_NAME)/plugin-arm64.dylib exists or whether plutgin.dylib exists. If plugin.dylib exists you can either (a) ask that plugin maker to rebuild with the new SDK or (2) just rename plugin.dylib to plugin-arm64.dylib

3 Likes

This is meant for @auxmux :wink:

the fact that this forum has 2 reply buttons at the bottom of every thread and if you use the wrong one someone replies to you and reminds you of it makes me want to hang on discord and be done with it! What a terribly confusing ux.

1 Like

Thanks @baconpaul Will give that a go.

I’ve seen you do this time and time again, and it makes me giggle…

yeah i tell you writing rack plugins is way easier than replying to questions about them on this forum with correct threading! lol

3 Likes

Keyboard shortcuts:

• r : reply to a post
  • shift-r : reply to the top post
  • ? : see all keyboard shortcuts

I only use the keyboard with the forum, it’s quite brilliant.

3 Likes

here also is now an arm build available:

3 Likes

is there an easy way to see which modules in my patch are ARM compatible and which are not?