Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

It came a long way but finally here is my very own member introduction :smiley:

Hi, Iā€™m Ben and I live in Southern Germany, an 1-hour drive away from Munich. Iā€™m 38 years old and have an academic degree in computer science. Iā€™m an IT-guy and I would hardly call myself a musician but I was always facinated in synthesizers, how they work and how people are able to program them to get so many lovely sounds out of them. I guess it all goes back to 1991 when I visited a Kraftwerk concert with my parents and Iā€™m into all sorts of electronic music since then. I tought myself how DAWs work with Emagic Logic 5, just before it was aquired by Apple and development for Windows stopped. After that I moved to Reaper and learned how to program Native Instrumentsā€™ Pro-5 for quite some time. I still have the original packaging of it!

After a long break on music software due to my day job I discovered VCV Rack in early 2019 when I was looking into another software modular emulation. I had no experience in modular systems until then but under guidance of @Omri_Cohenā€™s tutorial videos and his friday evening live streams I learned very quickly how control voltage works and everything is made up. It is how @Vortico said in one of his talks like playing with Lego bricks and it is just so much fun playing around with all the modules :grinning: I even aquired some semi-modular synths (Behringer Neutron and Pro-1) since then and started building some Eurorack modules DIY-style (mostly Befaco) to get some grip on hardware and how software and hardware can work toghether (with Expert Sleepers modules, I love them).

In parallel I started improving my basic skills with C++ and developing my own modules for Rack which are available right now as ā€œPackOneā€ by my alias ā€œstoermelderā€. Actually thinking about new module ideas and developing them gives my even more fun at the moment than creating patches myself. Iā€™m glad I can give back a few little tools to this great community and it makes me proud seeing people using my modules for making music!

35 Likes

Love your modulesā€¦ Thank You!

3 Likes

Hey Ben! Youā€™re a big part of the community for a long time now, and itā€™s nice to read a bit about your background. The PackOne collection became a must have pretty quickly, for quite a lot of reasons. Iā€™m really happy I have some part in this :slight_smile: Thank you for your work!

6 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Indra from Bandung Indonesia, using VCVRack since it launch :)), My background is UI/UX designer, DJ and Producer. I like a way of VCVrack to elevate and challenges my brain to do creative way to produce a music. I love to hear Industrial Techno, Ambient, GrindCore and some sweet lullaby melodies :)). I wish everybody here all the best, and thank so much to Andrew Belt and all people behind VCVrack to make this happens!.

5 Likes

Love your modules, and always wait an updates from stoermelder \m/

2 Likes

Tous mon respect, Ben :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi All,

My name is Marcelo (Mockba the Borg) Dantas. I was born in Rio but have been living in NY since 2008. I have been involved with electronics and synthesizers since I was around 14 years old. Synthesizers are my passion since I made my first transistor oscillator and connected a loudspeaker to it. 38 years, a wife and 4 kids later, the passion for electronic synths, electronic music and computer emulations is still going strong. I have worked with all sorts of computers since they were 8 bit and all a computer could make in terms of sound was a simple ā€œbeepā€, and I have played with synths since the time when a light pointing at you on the stage would actually detune your synth (not too good times). Since this past December I have discovered VCV, and then I went back again into building synths, this time virtually. Making synths for VCV is being a great experience, because it is fun, it is challenging, it helps learn new coding techniques and keeps the mind awake. Not to mention the community, which is amazing. You can find my open source things at http://mockbatheb.org/, and my VCV modules go under the name of MockbaModular.

Thanks everyone for being such a great band of brothers.

Cheers, Mockba the Borg.

15 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Sil from and I live near Berlin, Germany. Iā€™m 34 years and my interest in synthesizers started two years ago. So Iā€™m very new in the world of electronic music :smiley: I discovered VCV Rack in October 2018 and last year I started to take a closer look to it. Iā€™m amazed which beautiful musical pieces you can create with VCV Rack and I like it very much to recreate the patches that I see in the videos by @Omri_Cohen and @VCVRackIdeas. You guys make an fantastic job to teach us newbies how to use VCV Rack.

I hope I can learn all the staff to create my own patches. In the last days I have made some little patches of my own but I see that there are I lot of things I need to learn. :smiley:

7 Likes

Hey Andrew. Iā€™m Yohan, musicians and very recent user of Racks and still learning synth.VCV is an awesome project and iā€™m having so much fun with it. If you ever want to make it to San Francisco and couch surf there. Feel free to reach out. Happy new year and thanks for all of the great stuff you did.

Cheers

Yohan

3 Likes

Hi! Dimas is my name, :blush: and I am really-really like to play and fooling around with the amazing VCV Rack. I usually arrange a song using a likely to known DAW (which is FL Studio). But then I started to look at the beauty of modular synths and the freedom of modulations and stuffs. Most of hardware synths are very expensive for me, and VCV Rack is just what I was looking for. Thank you guys for being such a cool dudes! I love being here with awesome devs and musiciansā€¦:laughing:

9 Likes

Hello world, iā€™m gael from france. I love vcv and itā€™s a great compagnion for making and learning music. I just practice for fun and this software is so amazing ! thank you andrew and thank you all people for this beautiful community ! have a nice day gael

6 Likes

Hi there. Iā€™m Pierre and finally i decided to enter here. :wave: Iā€™m from Basel Switzerland and played with VCV Rack since it came out. As a soundfreak this was a dream come true. I always wanted to play with modular but my wallet wonā€™t let me and VCV Rack is something that gives me something new everyday. And i donā€™t see that it will stop that fast. So I decide i come here and learn maybe something new from yā€™all. :smiley:

8 Likes

Hereā€™s a Hi from me, Urs, a German living in Kolding, Denmark. I found out about VCV I think shortly after its initial launch but back then my computer - and also maybe my understanding of how a computerā€™s power saving options impact audio performance uhm :roll_eyes: - wasnā€™t quite up for it. But that changed during the last year in which Iā€™ve dived deeper into making music. ā€¦ During which Iā€™ve often stared, paralyzed, at my DAWā€™s piano roll or the [expletive deleted] 200 snare drums to now choose from.

I installed VCV only recently but I again fell in lovelovelove with how this wonderful, immediate ā€œtoyā€ - someone here called it LEGOs (!!) - just generates ideas through playing with it.

7 Likes

Hi. My name is Evgeny, Iā€™m from the small town of Klintsy in Russia. I am 37 years old, but since early childhood I was fascinated by electronic music and the sound of synthesizers. All my adult life I was interested in music - I played in rock bands, sang in an academic choir. Now Iā€™m fascinated by the sound design and VCV is the perfect tool for this. Thank you to everyone who participated in the development of VCV and modules, as well as to the community for their ideas and inspiration.

11 Likes

Love your work, I subbed on your channels. Really cool tools and music.

2 Likes

Welcome aboardā€¦

2 Likes

hi Persy from california here. i sold off my eurorack because it was an endless money pit i had to escape so i cant tell you how happy i am that Rack exists, especially being free and open source. i still have some banana plug systems but i have to confess that lately i have been spending a ton of time patching on VCV rack experimenting with module configurations that iā€™ve always wanted to try. thanks to all involved.

11 Likes

Hello,

My name is Marvin, I live in Brooklyn and I am a part-time artist with a full-time job (FTJ) and a full-time family, I used to be a full-time artist with no job and a girlfriend. Times have changed and now I am struggling to escape from my FTJ and get back into full-time music-making. I use Ableton 10, Reason 10 and VCV Rack to drive my wife crazy (just kidding baby :sweat_smile: ) I have some projects going on between my 40 hr work week - 1) My weekly collaboration with @Tisnuttly on Insta, and you can find me @marvinpiqueart Say hello I donā€™t bite! 2) around 5/15/2020 I am doing a collaboration release as Marv & Stu together with @dfelic check him out he got some great stuff. I hope I didnā€™t break any rules in my introduction but that is where Iā€™m at right now. My music-making time is very time-limited and organized around my work. If you are in a similar situation reach out and letā€™s exchange tips. Wait I should probably make a whole new thread for that right, Full-time parent modular music-making time management.

Ok, let me stop here, talk to you on the forum.

PEACE!!!

Marvin

8 Likes

I guess it is time to introduce myself to the community. Iā€™m not a trained musician and before working with vcvrack I taught myself to play acoustic guitars - well on a very basic level. My inner clock is faster than other peopleā€™s so a metronome was a helpful friend, when playing with others. My grandma taught me to read note sheets though while training me on flute, when I was a kid.

In my free time I visit conferences such as the 36c3 (chaos communication congress) that is where I came across vcvrack. Also I volunteer at the Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW) and am part of the Free and open source software conference (FrOSCon) team.

My real life job however is being a special needs teacher working at a regular school teaching German, Math, Philosophy and basic English to students up to the age of 17.

This community is refreshingly welcome and open to new rackers, thank you all.

Sophia

13 Likes

Hi guys and girls. I am a random guy living in Athens, Greece where I work as a software engineer for a big international company (telecom). Synthesis enthusiast my whole life, started in the 90s with hardware synths/samplers and fully transitioned to software after 2000. VCV for me is a dream come true with its amazing per sample processing engine that allows seamless feedback routing and experimentation. Currently studying the plugin API and source code from various modules since I am planning to implement some ideas of mine.

9 Likes