Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Hello, my name is Ken and I reside in Texas, USA. I retired for the 2nd time last year. I received my M.S. in physics and math many years ago. As an undergraduate I built my first analog modular synth from PAiA kits and began doing music software development as soon as personal computers facilitated me. I spent my careers as a semiconductor process engineer and systems engineer, spent 20 years in the 3D modelling and game engine development arena and spent the last 10 years as director of a 3D informatics research lab, specializing in VR and computational neuroscience. Starting in 1988 I began developing my Meander expert system algorithmic composition and performance program under Windows. I rewrote it several times over the years as Windows matured and did my last rewrite in 2001. The program still works fine under Win10.

Over the years I have used Meander as a composition and augmented human performance tool. Here is my SoundCloud page with some of my music going back to 1988. Iā€™m more of an engineer than a musician:) https://soundcloud.com/cyberpunken

I rebuilt my music studio about 3 years ago and have a very extensive MIDI, USB, Bluetooth, and audio network that is a nightmare to debug. I do most of my work under Windows, using soft-synths and software I develop. I also have a couple of iPads in the network. All of the software and hardware can talk to each other bidirectionally. There is enough room for me, barely.

So, now Iā€™m porting Meander to VCV Rack and making good headway, even though I just started with the SDK a couple of months or so ago.

I really love VCV Rack! Thanks @Vortico et.al.

23 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Jeremy Wentworth, the developer of JW-Modules. I guess I never did one of these introductions. I am a software developer for my day job and sometimes on nights and weekends I develop modules for VCV Rack. I am also obsessed with using VCV Rack to make music, sounds, things, whatever. I have a wife, two kids, and a cat. So any free moments I get, I use VCV Rack. It has just been so fun to use this software and also code modules for it. Thank You @Vortico

23 Likes

That sounds exiting Ken, welcome!

1 Like

Hi All,

Iā€™m Jarlath, an Irishman currently based in Prague. After a long hiatus Iā€™m returning to indulge my interest in all things synthesizer-y.

VCV rack has been a revelation for me. I have dived-in with gusto, guided by the expert hands of Omri and Artem, and marveling at the wonderful invention and generosity of Andrew and the many developers. Thank you all!

For several years I ran a blog where I documented my interests and struggles fiddling with music and electronics. I had built a working prototype for a Eurorack sequencer module, and had started on the road to building a DIY modular system.

As with many people, day-to-day life took over for a few years and I had no time to indulge my hobby, but I did retain a small setup (Guitar, DSI Pro-2) and used any spare moments to improve my musical chops. Even so, I still feel like an interloper in the musical world, something I aim to correct.

Now I am finding more time and Iā€™m determined to spend it productively. Firstly, to make more music, and secondly to dive back into music technology.

So Iā€™m fixing-up the blog and have set a short-term goal of designing a useful VCVrack module, and documenting the process.

I hope I can give something back to the community, but I have a lot to learn, so please be patient with me :slight_smile:

See you around!

11 Likes

Hey there, nice to meet you all! Iā€™ve been on Rack now for about 6 weeks so I thought Iā€™d introduce myself:

My name is Deev from the Netherlands and I live for music. I started playing guitar when I was 8 years old, and it is still my main instrument, playing electric guitar for the Kettle (instrumental psychedelic stoner space jams) as well as acoustic, but many other instruments have since joined the family. I particularly learned to love playing the drums, but also piano, saxophone, didgeridoo, jaw harp, saz, banjo, bass or actually anything else that makes a sound is gladly played or experimented with. I canā€™t stop tapping the table in all kinds of rhythms and I have an insatiable thirst for music theory.

Then, around the end of september 2019 I discovered VCV Rack through a video of Omri Cohen building the Moog DFAM in VCV and I was sold; a freeware ( ! ) open-source ( ! ) modular synthesizer ( ! ), I havenā€™t had much sleep since! The enormous amount of possibilities is astounding and it seems to be growing daily, thanks to an awesome community of users and developers sharing ideas. A huge amount of thanks goes out to @Vortico and partners for creating this beast of a program! I can hardly wait to see what is to come!

In time I will also try and share as much as I can, be it patches, videos or other kinds of musical ideas, here on the forum, on YouTube and on Patchstorage. I am also really looking forward to getting to know all these wonderful people that make up this community, and am very open to collaboration projects, say for instance you need a guitar part for a project, some real sampled drums, anything crazy you come up with really, Iā€™d love to be a part of it and learn in the process.

Have a good one and hope to hear from you soon!

11 Likes

Hi everyone. Iā€™m Domino. I discovered VCV Rack a week ago and have had a few hours less sleep since.

Iā€™m not much for introductions, but Iā€™ve dabbled in music on and off for a lot of years. I didnā€™t really know what I was looking for, but then VCV popped up and suddenly everything made sense. Lots of pieces clicked into place and now my part time obssession with the way sounds drift into each other finally makes sense.

10 Likes

In '75, at the age of 12, I got a radio-casette-recorder and have been listening to music since. Dutch radio in that time was quite eclectic and living near the German border there was lot of choice in stations. Even Radio Luxembourg every now and then. I donā€™t play any instrument, know nothing of musical theories, just a ā€˜passiveā€™ music lover.

I studied photography (for tech and science) and later art, I worked in metrology, quality management, product development & design and as a pattern designer (woods, marbles etc.). Currently I brew beer.

Since the late nineties most of my CPU cycles have gone into ray-tracing, POV-Ray. Maintained and wrote documentation for it for a small decade and wrote several include files that are in the distribution.

At some time I installed every free DAW and VST plugin, what a mess. Deleted it all. The only thing that stayed was virtualANS because of its graphic workflow.

Now thereā€™s Rack, since a month ago. Donā€™t expect epic master pieces, just some annoying miniatures that could be looped. Iā€™d like to make a module or two (an ANS player would be nice, probably slow and not very useful), but am a very slow programmer and never touched C++, only did small things in Python, SQL and some Nim.

Cheers, Ingo

10 Likes

Michael here - originally from England, but lived in Australia for a while then moved to the US, first to New Hampshire, but now live in South Carolina.

The earliest music I listened to was in the 70s - rock, pop, electronic, punk, new wave - started playing guitar at 16, but over the years have added a lot of other instruments. Played around with some synths in the early 80s, but didnā€™t own any until recently. I started working with Cubase in the late 90s, then started adding various virtual synthesizers and moved to other hosts.

Currently spending a lot of time playing piano and learning theory in more depth.

9 Likes

Hi, my name is SĆ©bastien (Fr 83). Sometime it happens that I make some modules with strange names. Many many thanks to Andrew for your amazing work, to developers and to the people using my modules helping in design/bug fixing.

Cheers, bidĀ°Ā°

19 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Bill, from a little town called Houghton Le Spring in England.

At 9-years-old (1988), I began playing violin and piano, Iā€™ve invested time mainly on guitar, drums and vocals, and have produced a few dozen tracks ranging from gabber to metal, mainly between 2005-2013. After been on a musical hiatus since then, Iā€™m wanting to get back into the swing of things.

Not sure how I discovered Rack, but watching Omni Cohen videos got me very inspired. Iā€™ve never had the opportunity to use any hardware :frowning_face: and for that reason, VCV is a godsend. However I have done a ton of patching in Usine, Iā€™m quite fluent with Reaper and not so much with FL Studio, although I do try. Cheers!

7 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Guilherme, from Portugal. Iā€™ve been fiddling with music software for ages and found VCV for about a year, and it was a life changer!! I wanted to bring a little of the virtual world to the physical world, and I started to build a MIDI step sequencer. This project evolved a lot and had many iterations, today I managed to have a series of hardware modules that can be combined the way one wants, and connect to the computer or external gear via MIDI. The project is moving at a slow pace because I have other occupations, but you can have a glimpse at how it is looking, on the left is an 8 / 32 step sequencer, on the right is an eight-track mixer prototypes.

~ As soon as I have all the repositories organized (I want this to be open-source hardware) and a dedicated website with as much documentation as possible, I will announce it here in the forum. I donā€™t have enough words to thanks Andrew Belt and to all the community enthusiasts, for such a great initiative and source of inspiration!!

20 Likes

Whoa, that looks serious! Keep us postedā€¦

1 Like

tambƩm quero brincar com isto ! It looks very cool ^^ Welcome to the community :wink:

1 Like

OlĆ” Guilherme Excelente ideia. Espero em breve obter mais informaĆ§Ć£o sobre o desenvolvimento desta optima iniciativa que contribui sem duvida para o enriquecimento deste maravilhoso software modular. Um Muito Obrigado daqui de Portugal tambĆ©m.

2 Likes

Sure I will! Thanks!!

Thanks!! Obrigado :slight_smile:

Obrigado Dionisio! Espero ter mais novidades em breve!!

2 Likes

Hi there, Iā€™m Alessandro. Iā€™m here because I falled in love with VCV Rack at first sight. It seems designed for me. I play keyboards since I was 5, but Iā€™m not that good :slight_smile: ā€¦ What I really love to do is ā€œsound designā€ I have been doing cad/cam/reverse engineering for the last 17 years as an employee, but have just switched to freelance.

btw, VCV Rack is mind blowing.

Thank You Everyone A :broccoli:

6 Likes

Heya. Iā€™m Emmet from Portland, OR, USA.

My interests are music, art, coding, game dev and I guess making things in general. I play guitar, bass, keyboard, and Iā€™ve just started learning my new linnstrument. I found VCV Rack towards the beginning of 2019 and found it to be amazingly good, polished, and (most importantly) super fun. It didnā€™t take me long to decide that I wanted to make some modules. =]

I create software and game art with my brother. Iā€™m a mostly full-time Linux user, Iā€™ve contributed to a few open source projects, and Iā€™ve also been managing the Steam store presence for a popular FOSS illustration application called Krita for the last 18 months or so. I like cats.

Nice to meet you!

11 Likes

Greetings! Iā€™m Vincent, from the Hudson Valley, in New York.

Like most of the people who find their way here, I have a fascination with technology, as well as a deep connection to music. I grew up learning and appreciating music on more traditional instruments like guitar, bass, trumpet, and drums, but Iā€™ve always been sort of mystified by the magic of synthesis. Iā€™ve been trying to begin playing with digital music production for the last few years, but the workflow of a traditional DAW always seemed cumbersome to me. When I found VCV Rack, last year, I knew next to nothing about modular. The engineering aspect of the craft sparked an interest in me to learn more about how sound works, and I found the freedom of inherent exploration creatively inspiring. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all!

Also, a special thanks to Andrew Belt for this excellent execution of modular emulation, and to all the people who support him by developing plugins for the ecosystem. I also want to jump on the train of appreciation for artists/educators like Omri Cohen and Artem Leonov (VCVRackIdeas). Without them, I it would have taken me so much longer to get to where I am already!

5 Likes

Dexter and Plateau are my current favorite vcv modules. Your love of FM really comes through in Dexter! This is the kind of sound Iā€™m now able to make thanks to your hard work https://freesound.org/people/wjoojoo/sounds/501245/ Thank you thank you thank you!!!

1 Like

Your modules are awesome! I use them in almost every patch I make.

1 Like