Your opinion about Voltage Modular

Does any of you use Voltage Modular. I am interested in your opinions about this system. I know that these are opponents for VCV Rack. From what I realized, they have interesting solutions. But is it worth investing?

Interesting, seems its made in Java.

There is also another new virtual modular synthesizer Tal Mod, its in beta.

I am not going to invest in any of them though, VCV is all I need. :smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think that they can offer something that’s not inside already or cannot be done in VCV Rack. And the interface kinda ugly as hell – i prefer program where modules have real prototypes or look like the real ones – this fact give me more desire to scratch world of modular hardware somewhere in the future. And i will be ready for this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree - VCV Rack is the top notch of workflow in all music software that I seen before.

6 Likes

I don’t like the graphics in it at all. Nevertheless, they seem to be making good progress these days after a shaky start, and good luck to them.

I think the more software modulars there are out there the more it raises interest in the area and that will only bring more users to Rack - I can’t see anybody abandoning Rack for VM, but I can see VM users getting interested in Rack. At the moment ‘compare and contrast’ discussion on other forums appears to mainly concern VM’s vast usability improvements over Softube Modular, and the interest is there in the first place because it is usable in a DAW. VM can be run standalone too but that never seems to get any discussion.

That DAW ‘advantage’ will disappear in the not too distant future.

Of course, once people start adopting a modular mindset they start to ask themselves whether they really need to be in a traditional DAW at all a lot of the time, but new users have to make that discovery for themselves if they are still in a very traditional DAW mindset.

4 Likes

I tried V.M. when it was in paid pre-release.
It felt very limited when compared to what I was already able to do in VCV.
Also the way the modules and design is setup, it seems to be geared at a different type of user.
To even get merely close to what you are used to in VCV, you will have to cough up quite some $$.

Eventually I went for a refund.
I think nowadays you can get a trial version before buying, so you can try it yourself.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that they also have a sort of a host module for loading vsts…
And anyway, if anyone here is also using Voltage Modular, consider buying also the Vult modules to support Leonardo :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I agree, I think you got it!

1 Like

Ok why I asked this question?

Well, I met with opinions that, in some respects, VM is better than VCV Rack. Yes, I tested it about two months ago when the 7-day trial version appeared. In previous announcements, this system presented itself quite interestingly but somehow did not arouse my enthusiasm. I do not know why it can be designed mechanics of this platform, sounds, etc. I know that they are still developing and let them do it better. And I must admit that during this year of my work with VCV Rack I got so deep into this system that it is difficult for me to switch to a different mechanics of operation.

krakli is also making a new modular vst plugin…

vcv rack has a huge community tho, so i don’t think any competitor has more to offer

Krakli used to be 32bit only (synthedit). Do you know if this is 64bit?

likely, since he has started doing 64-bits plugins.

I have tried Voltage Modular for a couple of weeks and Rack is much better. O.K. Rack is not a VST but it’s coming soon. Rack offer a lot more interesting modules then any modular softsynth on the market. Buy commercial modules, it will help all the community.

TLDR: VCV Rack > Voltage Modular <= (user/dev experience, community, price, soul)

2 Likes

why does everything have to be a damn vst? I like that vcv rack is an app. is there another modular that’s an app?

6 Likes

Voltage Modular (& Audulus & Reaktor Blocks).

I agree though. Even when Rack becomes a VST (and I’ll purchase it to support Andrew) I predict I will still run Rack as an app >95% of the time.

4 Likes

Voltage can also be used as stand alone app. And there’s wren, don’t know it very well but it’s not a vst.

1 Like

The main advantage of VST is multiple instances, resulting in more manageable patches, and most importantly of all, better use of computer resources for those with strongly threaded hardware platforms. Plus with the likes of Ableton Live and Bitwig, the modular concept is extendable to/from the DAW and with other plugin architectures available to the DAW (such as Reaktor Blocks).

Ref Voltage Modular, it’s quite far behind VCV IMHO. But I do like it’s approach to polyphony so far.

Frankly I found the closest thing to VCVRack seems to be this Eurorack emulation by the Kuwait engineer, Ammar Muqaddas. And, did you guess?.. it’s a VST, and it’s a commercial, closed-source product, as the likes of Softube and Voltage.

I don’t own neither tested this product, that shares a curious resemblance with VCVRack in its development timeline. I do not even know whether Andrew ever heard about this product.

Anyway, I keep subscribing to @Nik words. I think the major strength of VCVRack, beyond its sound quality and quickly evolving features, has to be put in its open model, third-party contribution and vaste, focused community.

With these premises, years later from now, I foresee that VCVRack will solidly stand as a milestone in the audio software landscape, on a par with consolidated, long-time standing but still bright, open systems like Csound or Pure Data.

4 Likes