what's your favorite musical scale?

I remember and article from like the 80’s in Computer Music Journal showing that 19 equal gave you the normal intervals much more in tune that 12 equal. I think 19 was much “better” than any of the others under 30.

E-flat minor pentatonic (over a pedal point on the tonic)…

4 Likes

I played around a bit with 31edo, but that was a little too much variability. I’ve found 19 much more pleasant to my ear. It’s just enough to hear the difference between many of the tones, but not so much that it sounds “bad”.

Whatever she plays beginning 2:07

3 Likes

Of course Brian May’s red special has 3 dots at the 12th fret and 2 at the seventh.

I guess it’s more of a guide to help you not miss your fret.

1 Like

A piece of music I did using only this scale…

1 Like

2 Likes

:smile:. In other words C, D#, F, G#,A#. I’ve got those voltages down to memory.

1 Like

I took theory / harmony classes in college until there were no more; i reached the end of the music theory universe, so my answer is “all of them at once” and “if anybody has any music theory questions ask me”

4 Likes

1 Like

Steven is proud of you.

1 Like

Without giving anything away about my origins, now you’re speaking my language :wink:

2 Likes

I mimic @strangebuttrue and then some, but I ignored all that to explore newer, more contemporary approaches. Going to a university having a couple of degrees where theory was my minor and composition was my major, that was the expected direction. So, my answer is I create my own and you should too . . . if it sounds good to you, it is good

3 Likes

It is sometimes rewarding to throw out the quantizer completely and do it all by ear. The imperfections in note ratios can really add alot of interest. In my opinion.

2 Likes

To better understand Joe’s 19-edo scale (above) I entered it into my QuantIntervals module, but then realized that the standard 12-tone note ratios should be highlighted for reference.

This update has now been released to the VCV library, so it should now be easier for anyone to enter in their favorite 12-tone scales and explore how they vary across different equal temperaments.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s the 12-t ratios that should be highlighted, or just the notes that are “close” to the octave, fifth, etc… or whatever the “natural” tones are… harmonics of the root? (also, @joe not the inventor of this scale :wink:

I have the scale I mentioned (and a few other 19edos) as presets to QuantMT. Will post a couple screenshots when I’m at my computer again, if I remember.

2 Likes

I think it’s roughly the minor pentatonic or blues scale. So in the key of F: F, Ab, Bb, B, C, Eb. Minor pentatonic is just the blues scale without the B natural.

Great thread! I was always guilty of being one of those typical guitar players that learns chord shapes and fretboard patterns without knowing the actual notes or theory. I’ve been watching theory videos on YouTube since lockdown and discovered so many more options! C Lydian is still a firm favourite (every open string is in the key with standard tuning) but I really like some of the melodic minor modes like Dorian flat 2. Most generative modular music is stuck in one key, which is fine if that’s what you like but the challenge for me is moving through different scales and making it sound good.

Have a look at how the VCV Qunatizer works, I think that is close to what you are after albeit with funky shaped lights.