=== vcp challenge #72 (august edition): ice tray ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch that uses ice tray from path set. i thought this would be a nice touch for all of us living in the hot summer of the northern hemisphere, and i’m sure others can have fun with it too!

and of course, there is an omri cohen video about it!

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com,
    and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-72
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible),
    or record some audio and upload it to e.g. soundcloud
  • add a link to your video or audio as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: end of the day, wherever you are, august 31st

11 Likes

ive not contributed much of late but u continue to provide inspiration mate - keep it up!

1 Like

If only. It’s a rainy 17° here. I find Ice Tray very interesting but fairly unpredictable and somehow upfront and I’ve been struggling to make good use of it. But one preliminary outcome of this challenge challenging me: it’s super great for slow-mo ambient noodling with an external synth or via keyboard (like so, with my kinda new go-to oscillator). Screenshot for now. One granular Ice Tray with a very short recording time for glimmer FX, another one, filtered and cloudy, for gritty layers of the past…

3 Likes

Where I am the ice cubes fall from the sky.

Not sharing the project 'cause it’s too large (8Mb ?) I already emptied the cubes but nothing… Someone has the same experience?

edit: A 2 Mb file, the smallest I could get.

cabotage-ksm_vcp72.vcv (2.1 MB)

8 Likes

my try:

the patch is here (without the drum samples) :

my patch has a bit more than 7 mb, with 3 instances of ICE TRAY. no problem to upload at patchstorage.

5 Likes

Nice icy vibes. I think the file is saving the audio buffer. There’s no option to save only the project thing?

Currently there is not. But if people would find that useful I could look into adding a setting for that.

4 Likes

Here’s my entry for VCP-72, thanks for keeping these going Ben!

Ice Tray is certainly a very interesting module. It’s also a bit challenging to wrap your head around it, and get something going that is musically satisfying.

In this patch I have two voices, both sequenced by the equally brilliant Glass Pane, also by Path Set. One voice is from the wonderful docB::Pad oscillator split two ways. One leg going straight to the mixer and the other going through Ice Tray.

The other being played by Basal, to anchor the whole piece.

It’s a slow, dreamy ambient piece, and good headphones are definately recommended for this one, there’s some good low frequency content there. Enjoy!

You’ll find the patch here:

5 Likes

Wonderful sound!

Random question. How are you jumping the camera around?

1 Like

Thank you Andrew, and thanks for the great modules!

I just press the page-down key, it scrolls a row down at the right zoom-level :slight_smile: Was that what you meant?

1 Like

Yes. That’s super simple. I’ve thought about making a module that lets you save different camera positions and jump between them.

That’s an interesting idea…

1 Like

Hey Lars. Do you mind if I use a derivative of your patch in a live performance with flute on Monday night? I slowed it down, lengthened the envelopes, dropped the Basal down an octave, added modulation, and added a 4th voice using a resonant recursive filter sweep of the Basal.

3 Likes

Go ahead Dave, thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Any chance u cld record n share outcome?

That is the plan, assuming the performance goes well.

You can also watch it live at Monday Night VOM - YouTube or Facebook starting at 7pm.

I am scheduled to go on at 9:20, but participation has been light recently, so I may be going earlier than that. I wouldn’t be shocked if I went as early as 8:45.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link Dave. Excellent music for a Tuesday morning (AEST), live now. Looking forward to hearing the ice cubes clinking around in your set. Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, my times are U.S. Eastern Daylight Savings Time

Well that was a bummer - not sure what happened, but rack just would not play the patch, and that was after running it all day. I’m thinking my PC needed to reboot. I will try again next week.

3 Likes

Oh man, you really were having a bad day there Dave, sorry for your credit loss. The flute sounded nice. It would have been fun hearing the patch with the flute, maybe next time, throw us a link if it happens. And hey, you pronounced my name as well as is possible for an American, well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like