What's the best operating system for VCV Rack?

Hi Rackheads,

i may buy a new laptop soon and also plan to use VCVRack more seriously. In regard to stability and compatibility, which Operating System would you suggest. I don’t want to discuss which OS is better, i just would like to know which OS is best suited for VCVRack.

Thank you.

Rack works great in all operating sysntems (macOS, Windows and Linux). The main thing to consider when buying a laptop for Rack is that you need a decent graphics card. If you buy a laptop with nvidia graphics you’ll be fine.

With a windows laptop you can easily test by yourself how using Linux feels like. One big plus of Linux is that you can make a very light and minimal installation, that way you don’t have too much stuff eating resources like in windows.

4 Likes

Hi Leonardo,

thank you. It’s nice to get some feedback from a developer (i :heart: your modules). I’m used to work with Linux and Windows (not a big fan of :green_apple:, nice OS but bad eco-system). Sounds like Linux is the way to go then. Thank you for the hint regarding the graphics card! I’ll do some research for a laptop with a Linux friendly GPU. Had one with a nvidia Optimus GPU, was a lot of fiddle to get it to work properly.

What’s the best patch for Metal?

[Any other TBers here? No? Alright then.]

Linux is like a big modular system itsef and work pretty awesome with the nvidia drivers

Windows is pretty easy to use and it have millions of software to complement the vcv rack.

1 Like

True. I know both OSes well (i administrate Linux/Windows/Unix systems/clients as my day job). Both have cons and pros, thats why i especially asked for the best OS to use with VCV Rack. As already mentioned, i’m not a big fan of Apple, but if most of the developers/users of this forum had told me that OSX would be the way to go in terms of VCV compatibility and stability, then I would even have considered that. I now have ordered a Dell XPS 15 (i7, GTX 1050Ti), should do the job with Linux and Windows.

1 Like

Sorry, don’t know, not really my genre. :slight_smile:

I don’t get that. :confused:

I like Linux, since I discovered the vcv rack rack, stop using windows, plus Jack in Linux is the best

I’ve never used mac for audio, but I’ve used it for animation and I must say I do not like it, but who knows, everybody love mac…

parametra , flame , incubus…

3 Likes

That’s awesome David. You should start your own music thread. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

TB is TalkBass, where a common question is “what is the best bass/amp for Metal?”. I imagine it comes up on many forums. It is making fun of the consistency of its asking. Never seems to be any other genre. Just something about Metalheads [of which I am one] that has them thinking for too ahead of themselves. There is no best, is the answer. All down to taste.

1 Like

I’d have to say linux after reading this - Sending Midi out of VCV Rack

2 Likes

I like OSX a lot, but just for running rack it’s a bad choice. Everyone who has a macbook complains about performance, and about the fans being on at 100% all the time. Again, just for running VCV, a desktop PC with Windows or Linux would be a better choice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clearification. :+1:

I agree, but i need a mobile solution. The laptop with Linux should be fine. :slight_smile:

This is nice. But it sounds like it wants to be lower and slower, right?

2 Likes

I m not sure what you mean

1 Like

Microsoft is updating Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8) product keys to Windows 10 for free.

This happens for new installations, as well as in place upgrades.

So … dust off some of those old Windows product codes you may have lying around.

1 Like

I mean that that style of metal is usually played at a lower pitch and a lower tempo.

1 Like

If you want low tempo, go for Doom, Drone, Sludge. But this is some Djentronic, if ever I’ve heard it. Even if I made the word up.

1 Like

ahh I understand , I guess it depend of what kind of metal is… (in this case is just a experiment without a style in mind)

Yes, i know, but thank you for the hint. Maybe i’ll give it a try later, but for know i’ll stick with Linux. :slight_smile:

1 Like