What Do You Want To See In VCV?

That is almost there already, and it is fairly intuitive.

On a PC, if the search box is empty, then pressing backspace will clear all the filters. If search box is not empty, then it must be emptied before the backspace will clear the filters. If the cursor is at the end of the search term, then pressing backspace repeatedly will eventually clear the box, and then the next backspace will clear the filters. But a quicker way when the cursor is at the end of the search term is to use ctrl-backspace, the first ctrl-backspace clears the search term, and the next one clears the filters.

On the Mac the keys are delete, and command-delete

2 Likes

Yes, this is a long running difference in preference. Some people donā€™t care about scale and are happy to zoom in and out, other people want all their panels and knobs and switches similar sized. I donā€™t think either preference is objectively ā€œcorrectā€.

1 Like

Do bigger knobs make it sound bigger? :thinking:

1 Like

2 Likes

The smallest knobs in my ~25 hardware module Eurorack are too small for fingers to come close to fitting between the knobs. Most of these small knobs are on my Mutable Instruments modules.

1 Like

The smallest knobs on my modules are screws. Therefore you need a screwdriver. :wink:

1 Like

Donā€™t get me going on Eurorack panel screws. Those have been the bane of my modular existence in recent years :wink:

2 Likes

Separate window/panel for plugins that can remain open all the time.

Are some of them on the back of the module too? itā€™s hard to decide whether my favourite hardware feature is small screw knobs on the rear of a module or SD cards on the rear - tough choice. VCV should really consider implementing some of these cutting edge, space saving features. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s honestly not much I pine for in Rack these days. I did always quite like the idea of a scope that dropped down from the menu bar though - and could be detached to sit in a floating minimisable windowā€¦

3 Likes

Not much, really. A dark theme :wink: And with it, a Fundamental Midi-Map that matches Stoermelderā€™s. As it should. And Iā€™d gladly take the option for a more convenient scope, even it it breaks the simulation and likewise, the ability to replace the empty rack bg.

Portable ā€œFavoritesā€ list, or some simple way to sync module Favorites between several computers that all have the same plugins.

I suppose you could manually copy and paste sections of the ā€œsettings.jsonā€ file (?), but it looks like it would be fiddly and too easy to mess up.

1 Like

A way to display a saved ā€œselectionā€ as if it was a single module with user-editable labels and a minimum of jacks to connect it to exterior modules. Expand the view of it by double-clicking it or some such. If you had these for a selection that has one job to do, it could unclutter a patch.

2 Likes

8 seconds. I played in a band in the early 70s that had the seconds Mellotron sold in the United States. We lived in Memphis and had to drive half way to Chicago to meet the sealer. Sometimes that tape would get stuck and not pull down so you only had that note for 1 time in the song until you stopped and went around and pulled the tape back down.

Only the ones that go to 11.

1 Like

Yes, the guy looking at cloning Doepfer modules should also add in that there are only a few places in the rack deep enough to accommodate them and moving half a dozen modules to get another to fit is de rigueur hardware workflow emulation. Maybe include a reverb tank sized blank? The purists will love it.

Also /s

2 Likes

You can do this if you dig around for the Rail.svg file and edit it (Keep a copy of the original) but a right click or drop down menu of some kind with different options might be cool.

1 Like

this has long been a pet-peeve of mine. iā€™m working on a frigginā€™ computer screen! there is no need for screws. theyā€™re just visual noise, not offering me any information.

now theyā€™re usually easy to remove by just deleting the screw svg, so thatā€™s what i do. the worst ones are the modules with relatively high-contrast graphics embedded in a closed-source pluginā€¦ iā€™m looking at you, vult.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve learned to hate trimpots in Eurorack, as well as in Rack. They destroy the pleasure of using the module and feel awful to use. Itā€™s one of my pet-peeves in forums, particularly to manufacturers: ā€œThereā€™s a small that is TOO small, donā€™t use trimpots!ā€. I totally get the drive and economics for making things smaller but I think itā€™s gone too far. I would like to see a drive towards making things slightly bigger again. I think e.g. Make Noise has the right idea where the size of things are concerned.

1 Like

I have an extensive Korg Volca rack(s) but I seldom use it these days as I do not care for the short trimpots. But, actually I seldom fire up any of my extensive hardware synths these days. Over the years I have oscillated between hardware and software with a fairly long period to the oscillations. Iā€™ve been doing this for 50 years as of this year.

2 Likes