What Do You Want To See In VCV?

Eventually I stopped putting screws on my modules. Yeah, not a fan.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve removed panel screws from my module.

I used invisible magnets in mine.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve wondered why people donā€™t put daisies or clown flaces where the ā€˜screwsā€™ go.

1 Like

The screws make the panels for me. The ones without look like they will fall off the rackZ

Everybody should use the concealed fixings that I use in the Submarine modules.

I stopped buying into the screw conspiracy when i found you can remove all 4 screws in the propellerheads subtractor, and it wonā€™t fall out

4 Likes

:laughing: In fairness, everyone could stop making modules with knobs and sliders. All you really need is text-fields anyway. There is something to be said for emulating the tactile experience of eurorack though. Itā€™s one of those psychological, non-functional things that just makes it a more pleasing or even fun experience, within reason of course.

1 Like

I know a lot of this is in jest, but I will say not in jest that I donā€™t like the screws because they make visual clutter that distracts from useful stuff. They also take up space which I use to help keep modules small, but still have legible text.

Knobs, on the other hand, are a nice familiar metaphor that is reasonably functorial. It if were up to me I would probably opt for plain Ableton style pseudo knobs, but VCV ppl really like the photo realistic knobs.

3 Likes

indeed. knobs, sliders, push buttons, etc, are functional and familiar, and invite the user to interact with them.

2 Likes

Are you using MindMeldā€™s proprietary, copyright and trademarked hidden magnetic panel fixings without having paid for a license?!?

It took us years to develop those and we have children to feed!

As if that wasnā€™t bad enough, you are encouraging others to do the same!

3 Likes

Why are there no MindMeld Truck Nuts for Rack?

My apologies to the other-than-cis-male members of this forum. But Iā€™m from Iowa. Truck nuts are still funny here.

1 Like

Iā€™m from London and have no idea what ā€œTruck Nutsā€ areā€¦

Heading to Google now with the expectation of great amusement!

Edit: hahahahaha! :rofl: (first timer)

Hold my beerā€¦

One thing that would make my VCV life much easier : The possibility to take all the cables coming out of a module and taking them to an other output (typically to change from a modulation source to an other). I find myself really often wanting to do a variation of a patch with say all modulation coming from semi random stuff changing to step sequencers, and when you have one output to ten modulation destinations it is tedious.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea, and would appear to be relatively easy to implement with a Shift + Drag cables from one port to another.

3 Likes

Speaking of cables, it would be nice if there could be an individual setting of the cable transparency. Or that the cable colours would also have a transparency value.

Which is about the sameā€¦ but not quite.

2 Likes

Oh, you reminded me about one thing i actually really want. A way to connect the stereo output of a module to the stereo input of a mixer in one simple move. That would be really awesome

1 Like

Actual Mutable modules, or the clones? The latter are often VERY dreadful as far as ergonomics are concerned, but I donā€™t recall any actual MI modules as having those teensy-weensies.

Exceptā€¦some of the modules with the horrible microscopic knobs are also modules that arenā€™t duplicated anywhere else in VCV. If I could just switch modules for ones that are more sensibly laid-out, then this wouldnā€™t be an issue, but thatā€™s not an option in all cases.

My suspicions are that some of the coders making these ergonomic annoyances havenā€™t ever gotten their hands on a hardware modular, and therefore have no idea WHY some of us donā€™t like controls of that sort. They should sit down with a skiff of nothing but Mutable Instruments clones and find out for themselves. Plusā€¦this is SOFTWARE, gangā€¦you donā€™t have to cram a bazillion functions into 2-4 hp (or even 1 hp!), because you donā€™t even have to deal with needing 2-4 hp modules. You can make 'em as big as you (or users like me) want, as thereā€™s no actual ā€œreal estateā€ being taken up in an expensive AF Eurorack cab or current limits to be exceeded (unless you count VCVā€™s processing loads, that is). In short, if you donā€™t have to do somethingā€¦then why do it? Case in point: VCV Library - NYSTHI confusingSimpler It looks cool, it looks potentā€¦but it also looks like an ant farm when in a build. And thatā€™s a MILD example; try this on for a bit: VCV Library - NYSTHI ĀµENVELOPE Uhmmmā€¦no.

Because your tastes are not universal.

I personally like compact modules. There is no logic and nothing to argue about.

There is more than 2000 modules. Itā€™s a good thing that we can find roughly equivalent modules in different formats.

And by the way I like these nysthi modules.

6 Likes

MPE support (this is just mapping poly cables to MIDI channels) for VCV Host modules.