What are you Watching? (Educational)

Feel nostalgic, used to have a hardware resource library at my college and we would occasionally (big waiting list! ) be able to book Nagras out for field recording for gathering samples. They are beautiful machines and you never got that “did it record?” panic with them.

1 Like

Same to me, sort of a moving wonder and nostalgia every time I run into all sorts of machinery equipped with tape reels. It always reminds me of the Otari-100 stand-up box machine they still maintained at SAE, Milan, twenty years ago.

Anyway, this winter I rediscovered by chance the most beloved entertainment object of my childhood, while I was tidying up my parents’ cellar. It’s a vintage, small table-top Geloso G255 tube tape recorder from the 50’s, just like the one below.

I hope they still keep some in heaven, if that should happen to be a playful place.

4 Likes

Thanks for that link. Now I have an other time waster :wink:

3 Likes

Ok, maybe only educational for kids, but pretty great if you grew up with Reading Rainbow

2 Likes

Wrong song about onomatopoeia!

A little less sappy kids’ intro to the Fairlight oddly enough from the same year:

4 Likes

SWMBO has a subscription to MasterClass.com, so I’ve been watching the masterclass by deadmau5. It’s mostly good for seeing his own creative process.

Official trailer here: deadmau5 Teaches Electronic Music Production | Official Trailer | MasterClass - YouTube

:thinking: I’m thinking though, that deadmau5 might be drinking too much coffee between the shoots. :grin:

1 Like

I’m halfway through “Electromotive - The Story of ARP Instruments” myself. I got all nostalgic because the ARP 2600P was my first-ever contact with a synthesizer. :heart_eyes: I got to borrow one for a whole weekend, sometime in the early '70s.

1 Like

Cool ! I like stories (especially movies) about birth of ‘old’ Synths and the way to the present.

My first contact was in the early 80’s with a Roland Juno-106. This was a ‘must have’ action :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the unit is dead and I’m trying to repair it :smiley:

6 Likes

In which case you may well enjoy this

3 Likes

“Delia Derbyshire - The Delian Mode” (24 minutes)

She (not that guy in the preview pic) is probably best known as the arranger and co-composer of the first version of the “Doctor Who Theme” which, I think, stands up well to this day.

2 Likes

I thought the Juno-6 that came before it sounded better :wink:

Unfortunately, I didn’t know something about the Juno-6, nor the Juno-60 at this time in 1985. The Juno-106 was my first step into the world of Keyboards and Synths, after a break as guitarrero.

Btw. my Juno-106 works again, it is back to life. Yesterday evening I finalized the repairing. Yippee :sunglasses:

2 Likes

What needed surgery?

6 minutes of animation filmmaker Norman McLaren’s early process of inking the soundtrack directly onto 35 mm film.

Later he made up a bunch of precisely drawn striped cards that he could photograph onto the sound track, and which sometimes extended across the full width of the film.

2 Likes

Some of the 6 voice chips were defective. Fortunately it was ‘only’ the isolation material, this black envelope on every voice chip that produce more and more short-circuit. So, carefully unsolder the 6 chips, put them into an acetone bath for a couple of days, remove the black envelope carefully from the chips and solder them back. This is the short version. If You interested about more details, just put an answer.

1 Like

The Grallophone. What a cool machine :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Caught this notice of an upcoming series on Apple TV+. Might be of interest for those involved with music production.

What are you Watching, Future Edition:

I will be watching Sisters with Transistors as soon as it’s available (streaming Friday 23rd, but there’s a preview and Q&A on Wednesday here. Looks phenomenal.

1 Like