What are you Watching? (Educational)

Great demonstration of FM, very impressive at the end.

Benge is always a joy to watch and listen to. The finished VCS-3 patch from 25:40 and on sounds absolutely gorgeous!

1 Like

Some great bands there - I’m going to see what more I can find, great post :star_struck:

1 Like

There is another longer documentary that I’ve been spending the last 3 hours trying to find on youtube about the same thing but I’ve lost it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ll hold my hands up and say I also do the looking down the neck thing (and that I have never been too sure what exactly I was looking for)

About Serge Modular

7 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for posting this! All musicians and music here is genius level and Jobson is fantastic. Hearing it played live is unbelievable. The level of discipline and mastery is next level. Much more in common with classical music and symphonies than classic rock. These guys could really compose and I really miss that.

3 Likes

There is a part2 in the making

1 Like

I feel like this is an obligatory followup posting to this

2 Likes

This ELP album in 1971 was definitely one of my infuences that lead to me building my first modular synth two years later in 1973.

1 Like

haha - I’m trying to avoid getting back into ELP - they are one prog band I have not gone back to. But I did enjoy this song at the end of an episode of the (excellent) TV show “ash vs evil dead”.

Yeah. Eddie Jobson. This triggered me to revisit his album Theme of Secrets (1985). Featuring the mighty New England Synclavier.

Jobson later recounted:

The first thing I did was get hold of the Synclavier operating manuals, about two months before the system was delivered. I remember sitting on a beach, on vacation in the Caribbean, reading these three giant manuals so I would be able to hit the ground running when the system finally arrived. When I made the Theme of Secrets album a few weeks after the arrival of the Synclavier, I was already familiar enough with the programming software to input many of the electronic motifs, such as the famous ‘bouncing balls,’ typing it all in using only the qwerty keyboard. And as I did the whole album with only a 10MB hard drive and a now unbelievable 4MB of RAM, I also had to develop some novel micro-looping techniques and use the FM synthesis module as much as possible.

Eddy Jobson - Theme of Secrets (1985)

Never knew but I just noticed the album was produced and co-engineered by Peter Baumann of Tangerine Dream fame

Speaking of the Synclavier and synth legends

Anthony Marinelli started a YouTube channel some time ago. Some videos (especially the earlier ones) are about his synthesizer work for Michael Jackson’s epic/Epic (pun intended) Thriller album. Explaining how the sounds and the album tracks were made. With demos and interviews with those involved.

He’s very much an ARP 2600 lover. But there’s some episodes on the Synclavier too. E.g. about the much debated Beat It intro sound/notes (derived/recreated from a Synclaver demo sounds album.) But also about the use of the Synclavier sampler/sequencer functions (in a pre-DAW age).

Anyway

Worth watching

Anthony Marinelli on YouTube

1 Like

kraftwerk used to sequence their synclavier from my DOS MIDI sequencer, Seq+.

8 Likes

Kinda special you’re part of electronic music history (with Voyetra).

Here’s Karl Bartos (ex Kraftwerk 1975-1990) remembering ‘the days’ in a Music Radar interview:

Your first computer set-up was the IBM XT running Voyetra Plus sequencing software. That must have felt like going supersonic after using tape? “It was a real revelation. We were recording Electric CafĂ© [Kraftwerk, 1986] at Kling Klang [the band’s private studio originally located in DĂŒsseldorf, Germany], then we took it over to Right Track Studio in New York where François Kevorkian and Fred Maher introduced me to the Voyetra Plus software he had running on a laptop. I remember thinking, ‘If Stravinsky had seen this machine he would have gone through the ceiling!’ I found it incredible that you could put every instrument on the timeline like a score. I instantly knew that was going to be it.”

4 Likes

Those were fun days. Meander was DOS and assembly language in those days. Of course I did not have Kraftwerk using my software :wink:

2 Likes

Nice! Yep, I certainly remember all that, although I had never seen that article.

1 Like

I can barely hide my excitement. This is something I always wanted to know more about! The Music Radar article is also very interesting.

What a great way to start the day!