What are you Watching? (Educational)

Alan Moore interviews Brian Eno (2005)

2 Likes

Didnā€™t know which category to put this in. I can only assure you of itā€™s educational content:

5 Likes

I hope someone watches the entire series and takes it at face value

2 Likes

to anyone unfamiliar with this show ā€“ https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6joa2c

1 Like

Reminds me of Dr. Bunsen Honeydewā€™s lab.

1 Like

My ears always told me something more was going on in Strokes songs than first meets the eye

1 Like

MIDI input from your iPhone - use it as a controller in VCV Rack.

If I can get this to work ā€¦ anyone can.

1 Like

I use my iPad Mini same way, great combo, I prefer the larger screenā€¦

Stumbled across a treasure trove of old BBC show footage on a YT site named BBC Archive.

One fun thing in there was James Burke explaining how BBC engineers modelled creating a new acoustic recording space in a time before people pretty much solely used computers for that sort of thing.

7 Likes

as @Omri_Cohen puts it: ā€˜Reverb is Life!ā€™ :wink:

3 Likes

Steven Wilson talks to Alan Parsons about music production

3 Likes

That was great! I have huge admiration and respect for Alan Parsons. Showing my contrarian sideā€¦ one place I seem to always disagree with folks is on the whole ā€œimmersive experienceā€ thing - 5.1, quad and what not. I just think itā€™s dead wrong and entirely ill conceived. My basic thinking is: You go to a concert sitting in front of the orchestra/band, not in between them. You listen to a musician in front of you, not all around you. So I think itā€™s an entirely artificial idea. Iā€™ll give on a few points - obviously some subtle surround in a movie theatre is a great experience for constructing a sound stage, and Iā€™m willing to admit that a quad performance by Ciani is probably an interesting experience. But my point would be that that is an entirely constructed and artificial experience from the start, so you can just make the rules, whereas the idea of listening to Dark Side in 5.1 gives me the shivers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like a lot of Alan Parsons, but that last album wasnā€™t my cup of tea, even if Steve Hackett played on it.

I have many of Steven Wilsonā€™s surround mixes: his own, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Tangerine Dream, KC, Yes. Also have the surround versions of Alan Parsonā€™s Tales and Eye. I enjoy listening to them. Thereā€™s more space and separation of instruments in the sound stage.

When I saw Steven Wilson live touring ā€œRaven That Refused To Singā€, it was presented as a surround experience. When I saw Roger Waters live it was also surround, with sounds flying over and around.

Of course DSOTM was mixed into 4 channels at the time by Alan Parsons for the quadraphonic mix. Which I heard a very long time ago on my uncleā€™s quad system.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQ-PFQ.htm

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m probably being an old fart. I guess Iā€™m like ā€œquad/surround is like 3D movies, when it comes down to it nobody actually wants itā€ :slight_smile: But Iā€™ll admit it can be an interesting effect. Still, we have 2 ears which means our major perception is stereo, with some minor ability to pick up sound from behind, reconstructed by the brain because of its delayed reverberation. Dark Side was recorded in those years where the biz thought ā€œeverything is going to be quad nowā€, just like the movie biz though ā€œeverthing is going to be 3Dā€ now. The fad (3D movies) lasted a couple of years, but now every movie is back to 2D because nobody actually wants the 3D ā€œexperienceā€, so the theatres wasted a bunch of money on expensive new equipment.

Iā€™ve seen Pink Floyd live around 1980, in a stadium with tons of speakers all around, and flying pigs and all that. And sureā€¦ it was fun (and I dropped acid), but fundamentally, for me at least, the main musical experience is stereo, the rest isā€¦ gadgets :slight_smile: I think the reason that Ciani and Buchla harped on about it is, because they made music and equipment in those ā€œquad yearsā€ ā€¦ and dropped acid :slight_smile:

But Iā€™m an old fart so donā€™t listen to me.

All that said, Flaming Lipsā€™ Zaireeka was an interesting experiment in multi sound sources

1 Like

Very interesting interview with Dr. Leonardo Laguna Ruiz (VULT)

8 Likes

HUGS 2022 Day 1 Livestream - YouTube physics.

Oh, i love educational stuff! I think everything that is related to music was already covered here by other people (i watch Hainbach, LMNC, Magpie, Adam Neely and so on). Also i think all the vcv- and modular-related stuff you already know, i mean Jacub Ciupinski, Omri Cohen etcā€¦ Few days ago i discovered a channel ā€œssebā€, which is really cool, though there are not many videos yet. Not sure if it was mentioned here, so check it out.

So i love it all, but my favorite educational stuff is related to history and linguistics, so i watch Lindybeige, Jackson Crawford, Simon Roper, Word Safari and so on. If you know russian, you could also check out Š”ŠµŃ€Š³ŠµŠ¹ Š”Š¼ŠøтрŠøŠµŠ², he specializes in chinese history and he is a very gifted lecturer; ŠŠ»ŠµŠŗсŠ°Š½Š“р ŠŸŠøŠæŠµŃ€ŃŠŗŠø, Š”Š²ŠµŃ‚Š»Š°Š½Š° Š‘ŃƒŃ€Š»Š°Šŗ, ŠŠ»ŠµŠŗсŠµŠ¹ Š“ŠøŠæŠæŠøус, ŠŠ½Š“рŠµŠ¹ Š—Š°Š»ŠøŠ·Š½ŃŠŗ, - all of these are linguists and i kinda placed them in a way that coolness is increasing, so Zaliznyak is the coolest one.

Also NileRed and Codyā€™s Lab are the about chemistry and it is cool to watch, even though i donā€™t understand whatā€™s going on most of the times.

That was a reallly great interview with Leonardo, thanks!

1 Like

Yes it is. Iā€™m waiting for the next part :sunglasses: