What are you Watching? (Educational)

Interresting, and from Wikipedia:

A bucket brigade or bucket-brigade device (BBD ) is a discrete-time analogue delay line,[1] developed in 1969 by F. Sangster and K. Teer of the Philips Research Labs in the Netherlands.

2 Likes

And over 50 years later:

The BBD is still very much alive

As a Delay effect

But also in the much sought after Roland “Juno” Chorus with BBD delaylines

Much less as a Shift Register. Since digital copying is much more precise and reliable. Although the fact that an analogue “copy” is imperfect and degenerates with every copy that is passed to the next link in the chain is still very relevant and usefull for certain applications.

2 Likes

this one too: VCV Library - Submarine BB-120

A purely digital shift register in fact.

Which is where the Lindenberg BBD gets its name

3 Likes

Always great to see the pioneers and inventors recognized and respected…

2 Likes

Very cool that 1956 album! Never heard of it. The Ductch and Philips have always been very inventive, great to see a little credit here.

for the microtonalists

This looks like a strange, self-made MIDI controller:

Robert Fripp & Frippertronics (tape loops) (from another thread)

Robert Fripp Frippertronics Demonstration 79

Brian Eno interview from 2020, about music for film and tv.

2 Likes

Brian is a true intellectual amongst musicians. It’s one of the things I really like about him.

2 Likes

He did chang in appearance…since working with David Bowie on the classic Berlin albums Low and Heroes.

(you have to watch this in your mind’s eye…its a audio only) .

Bowie on Eno on Bowie - 1977 interviews of Bowie and Eno talking about each other - Radio Broadcast

2 Likes

Yeah, thank god he did :slight_smile: Eno has had so many successful, fantastic collaborations with so many musicians; it’s another thing I admire about him. My absolute favorite piece coming out of the Bowie/Eno collaboration is the song “Subterraneans”, the last track on “Low”. I find it so hauntingly beautiful, although thoroughly depressing:

2 Likes

Music is generally about ordering sounds in time, aiming to evoke emotions. My fascination with sound is how basically some vibrating air particles can effect emotion in profound ways.

Somehow the more ‘sad’, ‘depressing’ and ‘dark’ tracks are often the most intriguing and effective at stirring up deeper emotions and thoughts.

Example…David Sylvian

Thank goodies music allows you to change context at any point. You can just switch tracks to change the mood. Which sadly you can’t do with true feelings of sadness or depression…

BTW, the ‘instrumental’ tracks on Bowie/Eno’s Heroes album are sublime as well.

Moss Garden

Sense of Doubt

Neukoln

2 Likes

The King Crimson documentary is getting some good press. Hopefully it will be widely available soon.

5 Likes

This series on guitar effects, while focused on hardware, has made me think of a variety of ideas for vcv modules:

2 Likes

Triggered by a discussion on the DX7 and FM in another thread:

madFame’s great mini documentary on the origin of the DX7 and FM Synthesis. John Chowning (et al) and Yamaha’s journey towards one of the most succesful and infuential synthesizers ever (that more or less single handedly ended the (first) analog synthesizer era).

ORIGIN OF THE DX7 & FM SYNTHESIS

5 Likes

Minimally edited interview footage with Genesis members in 2014. Much better than the final heavily edited documentary Sum Of The Parts

3 Likes

Adam Neely in general is a good resource for music theory dumps provided in a fairly palatable way. He has his own taste and opinions on certain things which is fine, we can all prefer x over y in music provided we note that if others like y more then they’re not ‘wrong’ per se. This particular video deals with something I was interested in, namely how much BPM drift can humans perceive and what are the limits and goes into a lot of other stuff like the way tempos on classical metronomes are graduated so that for instance there is usually no 90 bpm and the markings may jump from say 88 to 96 bpm as they cover ‘named’ tempi such as Moderato.

Btw don’t be put off by the clickbait title, he covers such areas as film/music and DJ syncing to samples in there too.

Oh and he does tend to come at things from a jazz/classical perspective so don’t expect too much EDM and the like, but I guess it helps stop people from trying to demonetize his videos for copyright strikes so makes sense.

4 Likes