What are you listening to?

A Hero.

A truly great album, one of my top 30 ever :hugs:

Oh, good stuff!

I was reminded of this OST today, from Solar Fields. Probably have to dig out the DVD later.

2 Likes

Anyone else like Big Band?

9 Likes

Oh hell, yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who’s your favorite? Mine is Glenn Miller, but there’s so much good stuff out there. Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Harry James, the list goes on. :grin:

1 Like

I don’t like big band as much on record as I do being in a room with a big band blowing hot, the Glenn Miller Orchestra UK were great. Same goes with classical symphonies for me.

1 Like

I’ve never been to a big band concert. Hopefully one of these days :crossed_fingers:

RIP Bunny Wailer

2 Likes

2 Likes

Glenn Miller is great, but for me it’s Benny Goodman, the King of Swing.

1 Like

I like Big Band Music since my childhood. My father had a big collection of old LPs and he wake us up on every Sunday morning for the Sunday morning family breakfast with this kind of music. Some names I remember and listen from time to time, of course today too, are: Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Gene Krupa, Bert Kaempfert, Hazy Osterwald, and also newer ones like Brian Setzer, and much more.

2 Likes

I know the Etta James version is definitive and eternal, but the first version of “At Last” I knew was the Glenn Miller version.

1 Like

Thanks for showing me Maynard Ferguson. I hadn’t heard of him.

big band

2 Likes

Gil Scott-Heron - Whitey On the Moon

3 Likes

Always loved Gil Scott Heron, he was so sceptical and so funny! Always so poignant! Nothing really changed unfortunately. As a ‘Whitey’ I do not feel offended.

2 Likes

I feel there’s a through line from this Can track to Talking Heads. Not as obvious an influence as their track Halleluwah was on Happy Mondays, but definitely something there.

1 Like

very relaxing ambient sounds

4 Likes

re: BandcampFriday