What are you listening to?

Going for CB’s softer side today :

1 Like

… and still finding more of her amazing performances.

Hania Rani - Nancy Jazz Pulsations - ARTE Concert

4 Likes

Jam & Spoon - N.A.S.A. Nocturnal Audio Sensory Awakening from their album Tripomatic Fairytales 2002 (1993)

1 Like

relax

4 Likes

… I mean, I knew (about) the album, of course, but somehow it’s been mainly ‘Machine Gun’ that’s been on my mind when I think of late Portishead, but man, this whole thing!

also, earlier today:

3 Likes

I listening to my own stuff, and frankly, Im just sick to the bones of it. “ok, lets try another mix”. “Ok that needs tweaking” “lets try again” dah dah dah".

1 Like

Ignoring Serge Gainsbourg’s dodgy old man fantasies there is some very fine music in his 1971 concept album L’histoire de Melody Nelson. Alan Parker is on guitar and he provided some of the best gun for hire guitar breaks on record like “No Regrets” by Walker Brothers and Donovan’s “Hurdy Gurdy Man”.

was a visionary with precision

1 Like

no velocity parameter

I wonder how many “song X written as answer to song Y” there have been, and I’d discount ‘diss’ raps because they’re ten a penny. I know “Sweet Home Alabama” has lines suggesting it was written as a counter to Neil Young’s “Southern Man” for example.

This is more laid back, BB King’s “The Thrill is Gone” prompted Don Henley and Glenn Frey to write the Eagles song “After the Thrill is Gone”.

Quite a few. Check Wikipedia’s “Answer song” page.

3 Likes

Good to know there’s a name for the phenomenon. Cheers

1 Like

Herbie flowers on bass.

Nick Beggs (bassist with Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett; formerly of Kajagoogoo) with Tangerine Dream

1 Like

Thanks for posting,

Here’s ‘set one’.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Nice… I especially like when the cat shows up around 1:37 :cat2:

2 Likes

I was there that night.

1 Like