What are you listening to?

Ah btw!

1 Like
2 Likes

A Kranky afternoon

First time in ages I was listening to the Faust Tapes. It’s not particularly easy listening.

1 Like

oh, that’s sounds like something I should do, too.

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

An audiobook of Andy Serkis reading Fellowship of the Ring.

He’s doing a bang-up job of it too, with that amazing voice of his. It’s like having a story read to you by a cello.

As wacky and energetic as the anime series it comes from.

1 Like

Some upstart wet behind the ears Oasis ripoff merchants

2 Likes

Amazing those guys were only recording for like 6 years!

1 Like

although Now and Then is from a resurrected 1990s session based on a demo Lennon had worked on around the time he made Double Fantasy and then overdubbed a lot recently by Paul and Ringo so it’s a bit of an after the fact golem of a track. I like it though, strings reminds me of John Barry’s Bond soundtracks a bit.

I think the song is helped most by not having a heavy handed final Jeff Lynne production, I like ELO, but wasn’t keen on that sound for Beatles songs.

2 Likes

speaking of JL, my wife and I “collect” covers of “Jealous Guy”. It’s usually associated with Roxy Music, but the Faces do a good version:

The short documentary is really good too;

2 Likes

In light of the recent Beatles release and a comment by @DaveVenom in a thread about birdsong, I was reminded of Tuvan throat singing and this cover of While My Guitar Gently Sleeps by Albert Kuvezin and Yat-Kha:

Ah yes, throat singing - another way for humans to generate two tones simultaneously. I almost mentioned that in the bird song thread. I have played around with the technique, and sometimes can get decent results. But certainly not proper Tuvan throat singing.

I have seen Alash perform live a couple times - very cool. They occasionally perform with a local Baltimore artist named Shodekeh - a beat boxer / vocal percussionist. I was not at this performance, but I did see them perform this song with Shodekeh

2 Likes

There are moments, such as this one, when I wish you could leave more than one :heart:.