What are you listening to?

RIP Jack Sonni

2 Likes

A few articles out this week that it’s been 50 years since the release of the Stones album Goats Head Soup. I like sone of the tracks a lot, but do think that unfortunately it marked the point where Stones albums stopped being great and slid into patchy with inessential filler.

1 Like

This is not just a Stones problem. Most LP’s out there are two-three songs too long. CD made it even worse. IMHO the EP is the prefect format, 3-5 ‘to the point’ tracks. More focus for artist, producer and consumer, more coherence. A better product (especially given the modern consumers attention span…).

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

I would agree, but nothing hits like a good album IMO and sometimes you need to wallow in a good half hour plus of it.

Maybe it’s an age thing. I don’t know.

I do know that the “CD re-release with bonus tracks” era didn’t really do classic albums any favours. The one that sticks in my mind is Bowie’s “Hunky Dory”. It’s built lovingly to end as the Bewlay Brothers fade out and instead it dropped into the shouty B-side “Bombers” and some demos.

1 Like

I’ve been noticing lately that a number of new albums I like from new bands that I’ve never heard of are 36 minutes or so.

Also, man, I’ve never heard this REM EP, super cool. Like a bit of a time travel to my younger self, when the earnestness of their music really touched me.

same!!! Those ryko-disc releases of bowie’s albums always broke me when the album would end so beautifully and then the ‘bonus material’ completely marred the experience.

I can understand why they would have been lovely little easter-eggs for older fans, but for me as a younger person I felt like I had to fight against the medium to be able to hear the original artistic intent, to get properly lost in that careful ending of the album that they had made.

1 Like

Can’t help but remember this one, one of my favorite tracks from Document (although it’s hard to know, so many different tracks were favorites back when I just had the tape in a walkman on headphones and they all blurred together as differently amazing thoughts beaming with precision into my brain), but somehow hearing that Chronic Town EP made me think of Disturbance at the Heron House. And it feels pretty great to hear those great big opening notes again.

2 Likes

The REM track that always gets me is this one, about how US companies polluted a river that flowed through native land so much that it could be set on fire. The amount of empathy in there and how to make a lyric biting and sarcastic and yet still wistful and nostalgic, “take our picture here, take a souvenir”. It’s one of the best songs about environmentalism ever written. Plus the dynamics of the song, one minute it’s plaintive, the next it’s an anthem rocking like a bastard.

2 Likes

Regarding the REM EP, when I lived in The Hague I used to go to my favourite record store early, as that was the time when new candy was delivered. On day I noticed this one on top of the stack. I noticed it because at the time I was into blue print photography. I asked if they could put it on the speakers, instead of on the head phones, so I could browse the other new commers. After a few bars I nodded, it’s mine. Somewhat later the only other customer in the shop came up to me and she aske, you’re buying it? Yes. She looked dissapointed at first but then ordered it.

Som other EP’s I like:

1 Like
1 Like

when I moved to NYC Arto Lindsay was one of the guys I saw all the time (him and quine). Maybe because he was so distinctive looking. I think last time I saw DNA the replacements were opening for them at cbgb.

2 Likes

That’s where one of my favorite bands, shocking blue, is from! Also “earth and sky”. I think in the 60’s the were both called “the jefferson airplane of the hague”.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’d never listened to that one. I grew up not too far from there, along the Monongahela!

This is really great, I agree. Well praised! It’s nice to know people listen to all those little details and appreciate them. I think that’s a really good description.

Something obscure from The Hague,

2 Likes

Hello there and friendly greetings! In these days, after I saw THIS VIDEO I am listening to the following:

• Maryanne Amacher ‎– Making The Third Ear
  • Tangerine Dream ‎– Phaedra (and, of course, for everyone who watched Bandersnatch…)
  • Isao Tomita ‎– The Bermuda Triangle
  • Klaus Schulze ‎– Timewind
  • Popol Vuh ‎– Affenstunde
  • Edgar Froese ‎– Aqua
  • S.P.K. ‎– Information Overload Unit
  • S.P.K. ‎– Zamia Lehmanni Songs Of Byzantine Flowers
  • Zoviet France ‎– Gesture Signal Threat
  • Zoviet France ‎– Misfits, Loony Tunes And Squalid Criminals

There is so much to learn, so many uncharted territories yet to be discovered, so much to be done. I have a problem, tho… If a woman will ever ask me “what kind of Music do you like/listen” what am I supposed to answer??? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

that guy from SPK is a big hollywood composer now, isn’t he?

I guess you are talking about Paul Charlier. Well, as far as I’ve seen yeah, he works for Hollywood now.

But what I found out even more interesting is the bio of Brian Williams aka Lustmord: he is the composer of STALKER and the composer of the OST of two of my favorite videogames: MASTER OF ORION III and the superominous and very giger-esque SCORN.

If you don’t know the last one, I warmly suggest you to search YT for “scorn gameplay” and have a look. I can assure you it worth the time. Great game, great atmosphere, great soundtrack (of course!).

2 Likes

nope:

1 Like