What are you listening to?

Ok, this has nothing to do with electronic music.

Since two weeks I have a highly motivated, young guitar student. To offer her a little variety between theory and practice, and also a sense of achievement, I have once again searched deep down in my musical treasure chest for playable pieces. Thereby I came across an old Status Quo piece: Gerdundula.

I like this ‘good mood’ song. Here is a live version (2004):

… and a danced version, too:

My goodness, I am old :smiley:

1 Like

they were not super well known in the US, although this song is pretty well know from psych compilations:

I feel like maybe there was a parody of this in the spinal tap movie? Or maybe the whole idea of Spinal Tap was based on this band?

2 Likes

Oh yes, this number was played up and down on the radio back then.

Later, when the band focused on their boogie rock, they were always the party crashers. When the party was falling asleep, all you had to do was put on a record of theirs and everyone was flipping around again.

I also had the pleasure of accompanying my two younger sisters to a concert in Berne (CH) (Dad’s condition).

Of course, their music was not as extremely complex as the prejudices often spread at the time by the so-called ‘musician police’. But they were and still are: mood makers.

Even as an old sock I still like to listen to their old records :sunglasses:

2 Likes

finest elevator music

Ah yes, the muzak of the 70’es. They grew to be a big company.

One old sock to another :wink: :+1:

1 Like

A real shame but maybe this rings a bell? A John Fogherty song the Quo did in 1977;

and this a couple of years later;

Simple but effective Rock n Roll.

1 Like

Organs and electronic music on a grand scale, fascinating…

5 Likes

The title is a bit misleading I watched… but did not see Bonobo or Lapwood… :wink: :thinking:

1 Like

And talking about “invisible” musicians…who plays the organ (left ear) around 4:06 in this “live” concert ?

It’s not Wright.

2 Likes

Wright plays in the right ear. This one is Wleft. Sorry for this stupid joke… Anyway, why do you think it’s not Wright?

1 Like

Wright was playing the piano in the video at that point.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s true! I thought that’s an organ. But now I see that’s grand piano. It’s very hard to tell them apart (self-irony)

1 Like

I can imagine it being a challenge to play a studio album live, but I would have expected that if anything, there may have been a tape of Wright’s organ track mixed with his live piano track. Is that not so @Yeager ?

or vice versa

I suspect there are some overdubs. :wink:

1 Like

Oh Yes, i.e.

and lot more :sunglasses: :+1:

All the old albums as classic longplayers in my treasure box. Long live the Rock’n’Roll :smiley:

Only Quo album I have, and I love it, the ambiance of this live performance is just GREAT.

1 Like
3 Likes

no, I don’t think Status Quo every charted in the US, and certainly not their big hit “Rockin All Over the World”. That song is only know in the us by music nerds who go find the video of the performance from Live Aid.