What are you listening to?

:smile: That’s great

This reminds me of my simulations of M-theory on Calabi-Yau manifolds. If the string end boundary conditions are Neumann, the particle is a gauge boson and massless (in general). If the boundary conditions are Dirichlet, the particle is a massive fermion. Drum head resonant modes operate similarly.

I’d say there are some non-linear things going on with this instrument.

Thanks for letting me know this thing exists , this whole album is FUN !

2 Likes

This is way outside my scope of math/physics education, but it is fascinating. I don’t get the part about bosons or fermions. I know something about integer spins and half-integer spins, and it has something to do with the Fermi exclusion principle for electrons.

I gather part of this has to do with boundary conditions as in differential equations describing movement on a string or membrane? I know both velocity and displacement must approach zero as you approach the rim of a drum head for example.

I would love to understand all this better.

1 Like

It is way outside of my education also. String theory didn’t really exist when I was in graduate school.

It is complex, literally… as in complex projective spaces. In the Calabi-Yau of string theory, the 6 compact dimensions are actually 3 complex compact dimension. You would probably recognize the 2D complex manifold as the complex unit circle in EE.

But it is just a hobby for me :wink:

Love this. Have you seen Jack Conte’s YouTube?

I can relate to that. I doubt few of us who are developing VCV Rack modules are doing it for the money. Oh, wait… what’s that? Is that a truck backing up dumping a load of cash on my lawn? Is it…? No, never mind. False alarm.

Seriously, I have been musing about complex numbers and what would happen if 3D vectors had complex-valued components instead of real-valued components. Like, what would happen if I applied the same Newtonian physics to such vectors? And could I make even wackier sounds as a result?

1 Like

yep, some good stuff there

Yeah. I was referring the physics string theory modelling and simulation being a hobby for me, but Rack module development is a hobby for me also. Everything is a hobby for me in my retirement :wink:

1 Like

RIP Wilko Johnson. I grew up in Essex (English county) and in the 70s Dr Feelgood were one of a tiny number of groups from my part of the world at the time that had any success.

did well to stick around since a pancreatic cancer diagnosis in 2013. His Q award acceptance speech is worth a watch.

5 Likes

from when he had hair … playing rhythm and lead at the same time

Wilko explains his technique;

5 Likes

This is a new podcast with Bjork. She discusses each one of her albums, I really enjoy it so far

Did you attach a link to this podcast :sunglasses:

1 Like

“Good evening. I’m from Essex, in case you couldn’t tell…” RIP Wilko. I grew up in west London, teenager in the mid 70s, and saw Dr Feelgood many times. I’ve never seen a better live band.

I never got to see the original Feelgoods lineup with Wilko, but saw him solo a few times and he always had that voltage running through him. I remember seeing a number of bands in the eighties where guitarists channeled his vibe like Screaming Blue Messiahs, Pixies and I saw Billy Bragg loads so was obviously influenced too.

My only real knowledge of west London was living in Greenford for a while, it was such a hassle commuting from there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I heard that Andy Gill (gang of four) cites him as an influence. Which is easy to believe.

2 Likes

Yes definitely makes sense. Things like Naturals Not In It. I imagine people like Will Sergeant would too.

1 Like

Oops i thought i did :upside_down_face:

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like