What are you listening to?

Oh man, haven’t heard this in ages. That record cover brings back memories.

1 Like

I saw him perform in Oakland about ten years, ago, I remember him whipping out a bugle mid-set. He was having a blast. Definitely eccentric, but memorable for sure.

If I remember correctly, Bowie put a cover of ’ I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spaceship’ on his album Heathen specifically to help send some royalties Ledge’s way.

Very cool to imagine what it must have been like in those highschool years with stories of some eccentric upperclassmen like Norman Odam floating around like that.

1 Like

1971 album from Spring, a Leicester based prog rock band, bit different as they had three members who played Mellotron. The drummer, Pick Withers, went on to help form Dire Straits.

Nothing too out there, but mellow.

2 Likes

No such thing as too much Mellotron :slight_smile:

Sorry / not sorry

Oh there’s no need to be sorry but I have to answer with this:

And i don’t even like football.

Well, in that case I have to raise you a…

1 Like

I got that first 12" from 83. I guess this is a couple of years later?

They didn’t release that single (or track) until 1986, but when they did the CD for the first mini album they added four singles (including this) and their B sides to fill it out. I assume that’s what you’ve got.

It’s definitely from 1986 as they made it to try and be a world cup 1986 track used on TV coverage of the games. The world cup is every four years…

Wore out my copies of Oxygene and Equinoxe, but by the time JMJ released Magnetic Fields I’d discovered punk and new wave (about 5 years late, time moved slower in smalltown England) so I never really gave it a fair crack of the whip.

Listening to this sprawling opening track for the first time in about 40 years I still find it doesn’t hang together that well, mainly a collage of bits of tune, but it’s better than I remember it being.

I’d listened to the first side only round a mate’s house and never got to the second track which is a banger and probably one of my all time fave JMJ tunes.

TIDAL brought this up in a suggestion after I finished the album and it definitely continues the JMJ vibes…

1 Like

Nope, I have the first12 inch single, which I got in 1983, when it came out, before the other stuff had been recorded.

You did well to buy it on 12 inch three years before it was actually recorded

ooh, busted! oh, wait, discogs agrees with me as to the release date. This is the one I bought in 1983. It was, as I said, their first “single” (although I guess more properly called an “EP”). I think you keep thinking I am referring to the song you posted. Absolutely not, I do not have that, and have never heard it before. That’s what I meant by “I guess this is a couple of years later”. “This” was the song you posted, which is indeed a couple of years after the one I have.

Thank you for your service.

I got really confused by you saying “that first 12 inch”. If you’d said their first 12 inch or ‘the mini album’ I’d have been on the same wavelength.

At least we got that sorted out.

Next, world peace.

1 Like

Yep, my post was pretty ambiguous in that way (online writing is not easy!). Let’s get to work on that world peace thing, sounds like a good idea :wink:

I’m sitting here imagining how to simulate the physics of this thing:

7 Likes

My, that was good, that would be a good thing to have in vcv rack or even VST! Thanks for sharing.

If you haven’t you should listen to it on the “Concerts In China” album. It’s a fantastic album with stellar sound quality.

Have you tried if the PinkTrombone module can do it? It might…

3 Likes

Interesting! I will try PinkTrombone!

2 Likes
5 Likes