What are you listening to?

Did you though share the same feeling for a while that the only thing worth listening to was newly released music? It took me ages to shake that.

oh, my mom took me to the 30km away Blues festival that happened once a year for a few years in a place you would never suspect in the deep Black Forest twice when I was 7 and 8 and I got to see so many Blues greats and jazz greats (Muddy Waters, all the Kings, Aretha Franklin, and a few others I do not remember that left a lasting impression. So no, but new music always needed to be checked out, some resonated, some not, for whatever reason resonates with a teen’s mind.

1 Like

That must have been great. I think I was more raised listening to the radio so you’d mainly get chart music and even alt legends like John Peel was mainly playing new releases. I’m glad I got past that sentiment though as a lot of the music from that time was pretty disposable and nothing ages quicker than overproduced synth pop.

1 Like

I consider myself very lucky in having had an extremely varied musical upbringing. I still like all styles, as long as it is interesting and engaging. Some music however is better in the setting is was conceived in. I stop here…

1 Like

My musical upbringing consisted of country music on the radio and “The Grand Ol’ Opry” on the TV. I was not a fan :wink: I didn’t even know Buddy Holly was from my hometown until I was in college and Don McLean did “American Pie” and I had to figure out what the heck that song was about… the day the music died referring to “That will be the day that I die”. Of course Holly was very much rockabilly, but he inspired a generation of rock musicians, including the Beatles as a play on Buddy Holly’s group the Crickets.

2 Likes

I’m listening to this, read about Maxine Peake’s involvement and picked it up on spec. Seems to be a side project of a couple of I Monster synthisists. Nice varied mix of tracks.

fact, I had a mono tape player when I was a young one. My sister taped the white and blue albums for me, as well as a Rolling Stones Greatest Hits (she is 6 years my senior) I played the hell out of those tapes… Glad I was in an openminded family that nurtured exploration, rather that stifle it

I got this one (17 seconds) when it came out and listened a bunch. Have to see if I still have it in my reduced collection of vinyl.

1 Like

Nope, the only cure I still have is the one that came out in the US as “boys don’t cry”. Turns out that when you pare down your records from 4000 to 600 you get rid of a lot of stuff that you want later :wink:

2 Likes

been there, so replaced those with the CD editions. not had a record player or vinyl for at least 20 years, for better or for worse. Moving across continents makes one consider what is truly important (irreplaceable) and what is not :wink: ) and I have done that twice…

When I was very young, I had a child’s gramaphone (no electronics) but I took it apart to see how it worked. Later I had a transistor radio, but I took it apart to see how it worked. Later, I had a mono real-to-reel tape recorder, but I took it apart to see how it worked. Then I had a mono turntable and amp but I took it apart to see how it worked.

Do you see the pattern? :crazy_face:

Eventually, I learned how everything worked and I started building things faster than I took things apart. But, I tended to “mod” everything.

8 Likes

Always have had a turntable and probably always will. But don’t allow new spinning disks to come into the house (CD or LP). My current “record player” is kind of a subtle joke. Nice turntable into a tube pre-amp into a Sonos ADC and then streamed around the house. Sort of the worst of both worlds?

My current LP system is a Gemini direct-drive turntable, a Pioneer amplifier and Bose speakers. I don’t think I have played an LP in the last ten years :wink:

1 Like

I played some over the weekend, but don’t very often.

A bit of a jazzy thing:

2 Likes

Very, very special. From 1979:

2 Likes

Discovering more Erik Satie, Gnossiennes no. 1 to 6

The melodies take unexpected turns, yet they sound appropriate and familiar.

From wikipedia:

The works are for the most part in free time (lacking time signatures or bar divisions) and highly experimental with form, rhythm and chordal structure. The form as well as the term was invented by Satie.

:grin: One of the youtube comments:

[Rach S] [2 years ago] - My cats like Eric Satie best and I’ve tried alot of composers on them. They lie on the rug and just chill, listening. I’m so proud of their exceptional good taste.

And by “more” I mean other than the familiar Gymnopédie no. 1.

5 Likes

I read somewhere Satie was the inspiration

3 Likes

Interesting cover choice… :thinking:

2 Likes