2 Likes
2 Likes

:laughing::point_up_2:

ah, 19 years old but still gets me

1 Like
2 Likes

Some Dutch Blues

2 Likes

Thank you so much for opening my ears to this beautiful music!

1 Like

Dennis Hopper, who did the dialogue on the original track, passed away so in stepped Matt Berry…

2 Likes
4 Likes

Saw this man and his band live in 1972… This is a studio live recording

2 Likes

relistening to more of my early musical explorations, I keep finding utter gems. Glad I had friends with very far reaching tastes to introduced me to lots of stuff I would never otherwise have been exposed to. This one is from 1980, when I had my first regular weekly 3 hours DJ session at the youth club we were organizing once a week at the local retirement home due to an openminded and young civil servant put in service at the retirement home. We had a decent sound system, a bar we had to stock with soft drinks and snacks (sold at cost), and a area for hanging out, playing games, talking, chilling and a dancefloor with really good sound for the time. Even had a budget to buy records. Happy we were to do this as it was fun to do and earned goodwill in a very conservative town far from ‘real civilization’ (as we considered it).

This one dates to 1980, One of the records I used to pull out back then, as it was so different from the normal pop and rock and blues and such we liked, so was fun to be able to throw down some track none of the others had heard yet and was somewhat outside their normal fare.

5 Likes

I’m a huge Cure fan. One of the first big gigs I went to on my own was Cure at Wembley Arena in '85 on the Head on the Door tour. My favourite album of theirs changes on occasion, but always ones between the releases of Seventeen Seconds and Disintegration.

I don’t think back particularly fondly to cassette tape, I’m a huge fan of random access, but they released one C120 with Standing at the Sea singles on one side and most of the B-sides at the time on the other which was pretty amazing. A lot of those B-sides are fascinating and eventually got gathered up in the Join The Dots boxed set.

Funnily enough things like The Cure were things I found on my own, but friends got me into older stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc that I’d probably never have bothered listening to if it weren’t for them because at the time I almost exclusively listened to stuff when it was being released.

Going to clubs was always an ear opener too. I remember hearing this track and thinking it was the future of music, which seems like an odd idea now.

1 Like

I could go on, early Talking Heads, etc. also was a revelation. My first live by myself was in fact the Talking Heads, and a week later Dire Straits. Talk about two completely different experiences, but both are treasured for what they were, a revelation.

2 Likes