What are you listening to?

What an absolutely glorious noise that is. I look forward to exploring the rest of your list, and the rest of their catalogue.

1 Like

and if you aren’t familiar yet with porcupine tree, i can’t recommend them enough!

1 Like

i saw them live in london during this tour:

1 Like

Drummer is also in king crimson, yes? Saw them a few years ago with three drummers.

yep: Gavin Harrison - Wikipedia

1 Like

Damn fine cover this is…

1 Like

Another one:

1 Like

And another, some damn fine stuff on my tube feed today…

1 Like

The Theremin is a really cool device. And how Mezerg play with it … Chapeau :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Watching the Bo Burnham Netflix special “Inside” and it’s full to the brim with funny synth pop songs. Particularly like “Won’t Somebody Find Me Accountable?”.

I would not consider PT as an example of new rock though. It’s certainly excellent, but I think of Gavin Harrison in the same context as Simon Phillips, Virgil Donati, and Marco Minnemann. These aren’t examples of what people decry when they complain about the output of the current industry. This is old-school musicianship. It’s definitely there, but it’s not what gets promoted.

it may not be what gets promoted, but it’s out there. it answers the complaints that “no good music is being made anymore”…

That isn’t to say the industry isn’t more than a little bit diseased though. That good music isn’t well promoted, that art plays sloppy seconds to profit is really what “not made anymore” means. Don’t pettifog about the particular words. Music is part of our artistic culture, and we should promote our best and not by the standard of return-on-investment.

I think the key difference is you’re engaged in an existence proof whereas I’m arguing about the corrosive effect of profit seeking on art, and I’m claiming that this is worse than ever.

BTW: I watch a lot of Beato’s videos, and a respect him very much, but one should be very careful of not making anyone an absolute arbiter of taste.

I will never be able to have all 4 limbs synced thus precisely. Masterful

2 Likes

I don’t quite see that large of a difference between now and the age of, say, Scott, Aitkin and Waterman, which was a lot of what was happening on the radio when I consciously started to look out for music in my early teens. The styles have changed, and maybe the industry has dialed up its game to 11, but it’s largely the same. There’s music solely designed to make profit from and there’s Billie Eilish, Lorde or Ilgen-Nur (the latter isn’t exactly popular, but I know her through my daughter, who is 10, so that’s a metric;)

1 Like

When I was growing up, I was exposed to George Duke, Stanley Clarke, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Frank Zappa, the Jazz Crusaders courtsey of mix tapes my dad’s theater students gave me. When I was way young, I got a lot of standards 'cos my dad liked to play Ella Fitzgerald when he didn’t play classical music. This sets a very high bar. Current stuff that rises to the level of say FZ’s Zomby Woof are few and far between. In the more commercial vein, maybe Snarky Puppy’s stuff or Guthrie Govan’s group the Aristocrats. More removed from that, you have Internet phenoms like Bill Wurtz or Louis Cole. They do their thing, and they don’t muck about force fitting themselves into genre stereotypes. I really don’t get moved by the examples you provide. They seem more trendy than anything else. Note than I’m a contemporary of Beato’s, but I need music to fill me up even if it’s pop. I don’t get that if it’s just well produced but of little depth. I suppose this is where you chant “ok, boomer!”

I have to apologize. Louis Cole has far more penetration into to the music world than just the internet. I just ran across him there and Knower indirectly from some Adam Neely vid I was trying to grok. I also have to apologize for failing to mention players such as Thundercat and Mononeon.

Using a theremin to control filter cutoff is sorta kinky. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, we are making different arguments. I don’t disagree with you, but that was not the statement I was reacting to.

Agreed again. I like him, but I disagree with him quite often. As one should.

There are times I agree with him wildly, and other times not so much. Hey, it’s art! We can do that I hope. :wink:

Think! It’s not illegal yet. - G.C.

1 Like