Voxglitch Community Feedback

My pleasure! I’m glad that you like them! I’ll be working on modules for the next few weeks, so hopefully I’ll be rolling out some nice new features – that don’t break anything. Ha ha ha. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, i tried again today, can’t get any sound out of it…

1 Like

Yes, the release with the updated code is still in the queue.

If this update doesn’t fix the issues, then I’ll yank out the de-clicking code from Groovebox until I can replace it completely and test. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Hey Bret. What do you think about adding a feature to the groovebox expander? I would really love to have an opportunity to send extra triggers to the groovebox and also to choke some triggers when something else is happening. Like if one snare hit triggers, it chokes the other one.

Hi Andre!

Hmm… I don’t think that I want to add those features to the expander. :frowning_face: (I’m very sorry!!) I’m always trying to satisfy everyone’s needs, but these features would be very challenging to add at the moment. Could you tell me more about how you compose music?

Maybe there’s some other, more flexible, type of module that I could build to satisfy these types of needs? The “choke”, or conditional logic is really an interesting concept. Maybe there could be a dedicated gate sequencer where you could specify that type of logic?

Hmmm, I am not sure how to describe my way of making music, haha. I think it’s a standard way. This “choke” thing I needed for randomly replacing snare hits with snare rolls. Like if there is a snare roll there’s no need for a hit and vice versa. There is a way to do it with the patterns, but I thought it’s easier to do it in one pattern, it’s more convenient. No need to copy anything and all.

Two more things:

1. Maybe I am stupid, but it seems like there’s no way to apply a swing to groovebox. It could be achieved with the loop function, but you have to be very precise
  2. when you connect the expander, everything sounds louder for some reason. So if you do the compressing, distorting the audio, applying effects and so on, and then you connect the expander, you would need to change the volume levels again. It is a bit annoying and I think it is a bug.

Well, I have an idea or a wish for a very convoluted and overcomplicated gate sequencer. Or two of them, actually. One is based on maths. Like Fibonacci sequence, square and triangular numbers, prime numbers, even\odd stuff, all of that. The other is logic-based. And it has the choke feature (XOR). Well, maybe it is an unnecessary module, but I imagine it would be quite cool. Like you have two interactable sequences, A and B, and then you have C and D sequences that you choose functions for. Like OR or NAND. And it shows you the pattern (so every step with probability, if there are any, should be resolved at the end of each… pass thru the sequence). The first one is more interesting, but a bit scary, cause I can’t imagine how it should look and what it would do… At least for now

1 Like

It’s true, there’s no groove in the groovebox. Ha ha ha. That’s unlikely to ever happen in this module. I’d have to rewrite core components from the ground up. :frowning:

1. when you connect the expander, everything sounds louder for some reason. So if you do the compressing, distorting the audio, applying effects and so on, and then you connect the expander, you would need to change the volume levels again. It is a bit annoying and I think it is a bug.

I’ve noticed this as well. It’s likely a bug. I’ll take a peek at it this week!

I like your sequencer ideas, but I’m unlikely to have the time to build something like that. My module work has been more focused on general code and audio quality improvements to all of my existing modules, and after that is the Autobreak Workstation.

It might be neat to consider a tracker style sequencer with conditionals and variables. Hmm. I’ll keep thinking about it!

1 Like

Oh! I see. Well, as I said, it could be tricked with the loop feature, though it would be really cool to have a swing… Could it be internally implemented somehow or is it impossible at all? Is it because of the x32 thing? And the delayed triggers would stumble upon the 32th?..

Cool! Another thing is that when you turn off the volume there, on the expander, it doesn’t kill the sound for a track.

Yeah, i am not saying you (or anyone) should make any modules, sequencers or anything, based on my ideas, I’m just sharing these shower thoughts, haha. Well, the best of them anyway. Some of them are just funny and\or stupid. Like the puzzle module that you have to solve before using or a limiter that farts if the sound level passes the threshold or a cat on the piano simulation… Yeah…

I thought it would be fun to make a line of common modules (VCAs, ADSRs, OSC, etc) that would sometimes fail. Ha ha ha. Not completely fail, but occasionally ignore gates, drift voltage, add noise, and that type of thing.

It would be similar to the programming language that I thought about, where you’d have the +=? operator (used like a +=? b), which would mean, “maybe add b to a”. Instead of “if” statements, there would be “usually” statements. :grinning:

1 Like

Ahhh! Well, first of all, that is neat! This idea is cool. But it also reminded me of another of my shower thoughts. Like… we have randomness everywhere, like random voltage that you can find in the sequencers (i mean like turing machine and stuff like that and randomizing the sequence in general) also the probability you can find in most of the gate sequencers, but there’s no module to count it and maybe predict something or force something. So I was thinking about a module that would count the triggers for maybe 4-6 steps and then search for a pattern that corresponds to that given sequence. And then it could or it could not follow the pattern to make the sequence more predictable (or maybe it has a start button\trigger input, that it could ignore if it wants to, haha). So you could just feed it with random signals and sometimes it would just bless you with something less random, but based on the given chaos… I am still explaining, but I think you’ve got the idea already.

That’s a really creative idea! I like that a lot. I wonder if that could be a dedicated module. It would take a gate as the only input and would “learn” the tempo and pattern, then start to modulate it thoughtfully based on an internal list of common patterns. After two or three loops, it would start outputting it’s own thoughts instead of the incoming pattern, but it would still pay attention to the incoming pattern in order to keep the timing synced, and in case the underlying pattern changes. I hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

Yes! It makes sense! Well, the learning process could be halved by the dedicated clock input. I think there could be other ideas based on working with the randomness that are not explored yet… That is a future of modulars! (Big words, i’m just kidding)

I also like the idea a lot… :star_struck:

For quick experimentation I,d like to offer my Trigger Precision 1 (see at https://github.com/firolightfog/Yolow/files/9174457/dist_V2.1.9-beta.zip ) module. If the LFO going high then the module completely mess up the gates received.

There aŕe better implementations for sure. But it,s a way to start seeing the beauty of a module like this.

It is a cool module! Not exactly the type of thing we were discussing though… I think. Or I am doing it wrong… Could be!

@FiroLFO

You’re welcome to take the idea and run with it if you’re looking for a new project! It may also be something that I could build, if nobody else is interested. :slight_smile:

I,m afraid that my humble skills aren,t sufficient for a VCV tracker sequencer. :flushed:

Feature requests for the digital sequencers:

1. A “start” parameter that sets which step the sequencer begins from. Together with length, this would allow each step to be addressable.

2. A quick way to set all voltage ranges & snap values. It takes forever right-clicking to get it set up for anything other than the default.

An alternative or complement to the first idea could be to add a phase input. This would allow it to work as a drop-in replacement for Bogaudio’s ADDR

I saw your comment in the other thread. :see_no_evil: It sounds like someone might already be working on a sequencer that fits your needs? However, I may still implement your suggestions. Especially #2… which I started on at one point, then got overwhelmed and tabled it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holding control after right clicking will leave the right-click menu open, so you can make multiple changes without re-opening the menu. ( this works with ALL right-click menus on ALL modules)

5 Likes