=== very cool patch challenge, edition 50 ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, the challenge is to make a patch in the fictional genre of rack metal
re-imagine the heavy metal genre (from judas priest to sunn o))) as an electronic music genre made with modular synthesis!

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack using the chosen module and upload your patch to https://patchstorage.com/ and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-50
  • you are encouraged to only use free modules in the patch, but this is not required
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post (these videos will be collected in a playlist)
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, february 24th (though late entries will still be added to the playlist)

a new challenge with a different module will be announced every other tuesday.

6 Likes

i made something in this direction a little over a year ago:

tho i shall try to make a new patch for this challenge

3 Likes

Little protip for everyone before I participate: https://soundwoofer.com/ + convolvzilla

I just saved you an entire CPU core, you’re welcome.

2 Likes

Hey, Soundwoofer here, found your thread and wanted to drop two tips on IR:s that might fit the bill

1. Marshall MF280B (4x12 guitar cabinet)
  2. Gallien Krueger GK 250ml (2x4 combo)

Rock on :metal:

4 Likes

“This challenge is sponsered by Lindenberg Research”

This is so much fun! I think playing around with some Hatebeak vocals is where I’ll stop for now :smiley: A screenshot of the current mess, fwiw, in spoiler tags, because.

Summary

1 Like

You can’t spell Sunn O))) without Vult!

3 Likes

I´ve would love if someone went all out 80:ies metal, cause I am afraid many of us (me me me) will go down the Sunn o)))-path.

3 Likes

It is weird contemplating a genre that you don’t like at all, don’t really understand and then trying to think about it in terms of electronic modular music. The only thing I could try and think about is the intensity. That is what I have tried to do. Does it work as metal music? - doubtful. Can I write metal music? - no. Does it work in its own right? - we’ll see.

Klang Zero

For once I have used some modules from paid-for Vult collections because they fitted the job

Patch:vcp-50 klang zero v2.vcv (220.7 KB)

Hopefully this should be a link to the sample for Ghosts SH101 squelch

3 Likes

the attempt is appreciated. i think the kick is especially good.

just put it on any file hoster/internetspace and put the link here

1 Like

YEAHHH :metal: Rock’n roll ! one for the money, two for the :hear_no_evil: :eyes: :mute::skull:

7 Likes

Had similar thoughts about how to tackle metal with a modular approach. But to answer your last question, yes it does work for me. Your driving bassline is a nice touch, brought the music of Faust to mind within seconds!

Thanks Jean. It is definitely influenced more by Faust, Neu and DAF rather than metal

Some Guys And Gals Who Are Into Doom Metal Found Each Other Through Craigslist and Met for Their First Ever Rehearsal

(on Patchstorage - I tried crafting the toms from pinging filters and tuning kicks but in the end I used three samples from the Ableton library)

9 Likes

Is that a Turing Machine, sampled and held, or a burst Module of some sort for the lead? In any case, very nice and musical taming of what I suppose is rack-randomness!

It’s Repelzen Burst module with Audible resonator & Hora Vaccumba but it’s a little out of control.

1 Like

Puissant :zap::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here comes a song entitled I BIND STRANDS OF LIGHTNING IN UNHOLY COMMUNION WITH DARKNESS \m/

No samples, no direct sequencing of discrete pitches. Figuring out what’s even going on in this mess is left as an exercise to the patcher.

Here’s a zoomed out view of the rack:

Patch: vcp-50i.vcv (386.8 KB)

You’ll need these two IRs I carefully selected entirely at random in your Rack\RTimpulse folder: Marshall MF280B D11L HL D 5 -5 2 45 and Marshall JVM 205C SE4400a A 0 5 5.

5 Likes

Nothing to share yet other than my embarrassment at recreating a Lite rock sound from the '80s. I was aiming for metal, honest!

Here is what I came up with:

I opted for Entrian Drums Module but you could easily replace it by two Trummors, AS Drums or Hora free. Just shape a nice kick and a light high hat and connect them to jw patterns.

Lindenberg does all the metal shapey strums while new Mog Sequencer adds to the more base like “guitar”.

Here is the patch:

4 Likes