VCV Rack 2.4.0 released

Too bad Andrew does not accept pull requests.

Those might be two different things, one being a bug and the other an enhancement, if I understand correctly

I thought the gap force made all these hanging notes people are experiencing go away ?

I thought that the new issue was recent and was in Rack 2.4.0., and that the cytomic pull request was more brought on by a feature request, but I could be wrong, we’ll see when Rack 2.4.1 comes out I guess! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not aware that the coincident in time note off then note on has been addressed yet, but they did add a new bug which hangs notes independently of this. The bug I’m worried about doesn’t hang notes, it just doesn’t retrigger them how I’d like as an option.

3 Likes

My sequencers have always done this- add a one millisecond gap in the gate.

This doesn’t help since that would destroy the speed of my intended workflow. Every note I enter I’d have to then edit the length of manually to get a new note to trigger. Please visit this thread for details: Ableton Live step sequencing not triggering properly

Yes, I know. Just pointing out that software should at least give an option to retrigger. As it said in the post you linked to. Used my sequencers as an example I’m familiar with. It’s an issue even without external midi.

well for the ‘just a user who wants to make some modular music and experiments’ guy this is all very confusing. i am on mac m2 and don’t see what to do because both options look less than optimal. update to 2.4.0. and some modules will be missing. or can i install the ‘not arm’ version and run it under (on?) rosetta? and still miss some modules? or don’t update to 2.4.0 but never ever download updates for patches (because this is how i just lost impromptu and a couple of others). and i really don’t care about dark or bright schemes. just saying: very confusing.

2 Likes

I don’t see how uploading to 2.4 Rosetta leads to missing modules. You can also simultaneously install the ARM version if you rename at least one of the binaries, which is what I have done.

1 Like

thanks for the input. do i understand correctly? a) i install the newest version MacOS x64, then i rename it b) i install the newest version MacOS arm64 c) i’ll have both. if i use the x64 version i should be able to use all the plugins downloaded from vcvrack.com d) the modules that i compiled myself (not available on vcvrack.com, but still somewhere on github) i might have to compile again. or maybe not?

Update: made a backup of the plugins folder to be sure, also renamed the version 2.3.0 app to be sure, then installed the version 2.4.0 x64. this (as mentioned in the changelog for 2.4.0) changed the name of the plugins folder to plugins-mac-x64. that should be good enough for me.

There are now separate module folders on macos for intel / arm, and you can rename the standalone, but that doesn’t help for the plugin versions. The VCV Rack crew need to look into running a post build command called lipo which joins two binaries together into a single universal binary, for both standalones and shared libraries, and then ship a single macOS universal binary installer, and an intel only one. I don’t see the point with an only arm64 build right now apart from keeping things as simple as possible to isolate issues.

1 Like

Same. I use bitwig and tried the clap adapter and it seemed to resolve that issue with the incoming gate/cv

Same thing happened to me I can’t get impromptu modules and a few others to load after rolling back to Rack v2.3 from v2.4, even though they are in the plugins folder

they require Rack 2.4.0 and won’t load in previous Rack versions

1 Like

Did Rack 2.4.1 fix this ?

can you point me out to previous version (version earlier than 2.4) of impromptu modular plugins for mac intel may be i can try installing it manually

its not out yet

Yes it is :

1 Like

not sure if its the right place to make a request but I would really like a host module with more outputs , I’d like to do higher order ambisonic stuff inside rack but I’m limited by the host module only having 8 outputs , alternatively some implementation of multi-channel audio thru a single cable(to and from host module) will simplify things even more.

1 Like