VCV Library beta

Hahaha, found the issue. Take a look at https://github.com/VCVRack/library/blob/v1/manifests/AS-Drums-n-Filters.json and see if you can spot the issue.

Answer: "disabled": "false" is a property with a string value. A nonempty string is truthy, so he’s essentially disabled all of his modules. I’ve decided to not patch the issue since the behavior is correct. I’ve informed Alfredo that he needs to send an update of his modules.

3 Likes

Thanks, this was a bug with the tag normalization routine that takes a string like "lFo" and transforms it into a canonical tag like "Low-frequency oscillator". You should see all tags now, e.g.

3 Likes

As some people know, one of my personal main goals of VCV for every hardware Eurorack module (and maybe all modular synth formats) to be available for VCV Rack. Of course that won’t entirely happen because even if I could port a hardware module instantly, probably no more than 1/3 of manufacturers would be willing to license their design/brand to VCV or a third-party plugin developer. But it’s a nice goal to work towards.

As an experiment to bridge the Eurorack and VCV Rack worlds, I’ve added links to ModularGrid pages on VCV Library module pages if the plugin manifest includes it.

Plugin developers: Simply add "modularGridUrl": "https://www.modulargrid.net/..." to each module JSON object by pasting the correct ModularGrid page URL.

Have fun searching hardware clones! Here’s an example.

9 Likes

give it 4 years and it’s modulargrid modules that will link to which vcv original they cloned to hardware

5 Likes

I’m waiting on a response back from the ModularGrid admin about this. He suggested a couple weeks ago that he might be interested in adding a link but hasn’t gotten back to me about it yet.

This would create a bidirectional association between VCV Library and ModularGrid. It has nothing to do with what came first, hardware or software. The tag “Hardware clone” really means “Matches a hardware module’s panel and functionality/sound”.

3 Likes

I do plan on making hardware versions of some Synthetic FX modules - Curds/Whey/Tuffet specifically, but initial versions will likely sit in my own rack for a year or so before I ever make them for sale, sadly.

2 Likes

There is already hardware versions of some Vult modules, so it already went in both sides :smile:

1 Like

While we can sort by last updated, it doesn’t seem to show when a module/library was updated.

And this may speak to a larger feature request. If modules will soon be able to be individually downloaded (or at least white listed for download), should there be a module specific updated date?

3 Likes

is very important in my eyes!

3 Likes

Good idea, added “Last updated” field to plugin and module page.

There is no data on when modules are updated, so you will have to live with the plugin “build updated” timestamp.

4 Likes

I was wondering if the module date could be developer supplied?

1 Like

Sure, 20% of plugin developers would take advantage of it, half of them would keep it up-to-date, and half of that would be incorrect in some way.

3 Likes

I see all of that is already set fit.
One has only to look for the VCV logo with the “Available as a virtual module” stamp at the bottom of the right sidebar in the modules view of the “Modular Grid” website.
Awesome. I would say also, “Andrew never sleeps”.

5 Likes

Yes, we worked on this today. Example: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-clouds

10 Likes

probably old news… but… in Rack 2 we’ll have the option to just add individual modules rather than the whole collection?:hugs:

Not sure it works like this, for patch compatibility you will have to add whole plugins. The difference here being when you disable something it only filters it out so you do not see it in the Module Browser. When you load a patch that uses a module you have filtered out it temporary allows it for the patch. At least that how I gathered it may work!

1 Like

Really exciting, @Vortico!

I wonder if he’d let the link go above the related racks (just below the dealers). It would be a lot more visible (and VCV is an alternative to a physical purchase, so that seems like a nice conceptual fit).

Random thought: If part of the point of this is to drive new users to VCV, greasing the path to the download might be a good idea. (Right now they have to click on the logo, click on Download, and then pick a platform (two extra clicks); finding Rack at the bottom saves a click but seems less likely).

Could the links from ModularGrid come with a parameter (say https://library.vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments/Clouds?mg=download) that, if there’s no login for a VCV Rack account, tells the library server to display a box at the top with:

• a brief explanatory text (“If you want to try this module in software, you can…”)
  • a direct link to the VCV Rack binaries
  • and maybe an account creation link? Bonus if the link pre-registers the module’s plugin upon account creation.

Yes, that’s why you can see disabled “Add” and “Subscribe” buttons on module and plugin pages, respectively.

3 Likes

If you want to do that, wait 1-2 months from now and email info@modulargrid.net or post a forum topic with that suggestion.

I think the current situation is fine. Those two clicks seem like a reasonable path. Additionally, if someone clicks the Add Module button without being logged in, they’ll be taken to a Login/Register page on vcvrack.com.

could be possible add a kind of ¨compact view¨ ? in the new library I can visualize lots of modules, but only two or three brands per page , I see it have a “brand” filter in the search, but I say something to see all the brands, no the modules, something like the old library , what you think?

(or perhaps a way to increase the numbers of modules per page)

edited sorry , forget this comment I just discover the “Pluggin” title is a button

1 Like