VCV Library beta

@computerscare Good point. :thinking:

Beau travail :gem::slightly_smiling_face:

What’s rendered in the browser thumbnail is under the control of the devs, omitted elements are generally intentional.

Since there’s no caching, because my modules are graphics-heavy, I’ve been concealing stuff from the thumbnail to load faster, and despite that, my modules remain some of the slowest to preview. Once the Rack module browser implements thumbnail caching (I don’t remember if it was announced but I assume it will eventually happen), devs won’t have to conceal their expensive widgets from the browser anymore, so it should solve the online library thumbnails that look weird.

This is great, Modular Grid with instant gratification!

Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, screenshots are generated by instantiating a ModuleWidget without a Module, in the same way that the Module Browser renders modules. It is the responsibility of the plugin developer to make sure that this preview is correctly rendered.

Okay, I’ve added Open Graph properties and tested them with Sharing Debugger - Meta for Developers. Let me know if anything still looks incorrect. Test:

VCV make commercial sales of many products you see on the VCV Library, so hosting costs are negligible. 1TB is around $10, so serving 1M images is roughly $3. I’m probably paying more for the website’s font license than the entire website hosting.

9 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Removed autofocus from the search field.

1 Like

well
 caching will be great, but when your module is sitting in a rack with 100 other modules drawing at 60 fps I would be worried that your module is going to take all the drawing cycles from everyone. Hope you are testing for this. I remember people mentioning that a certain blank panel from another dev brought their whole rack to its knees.

1 Like

I just did a quick check there for the Waveshaper tag. There is a few plugins that do not have this tag in the Library but do have them in rack so I’m willing to guess there might be a few more tags missing from modules that should have them. The only way to test if all 1700+ modules have their tags is by comparing with Rack and the website for the discrepancies. This is a large task for 1 person so will require co-ordination and help from others.

Unless @Vortico has more info on this. Will it be necessary to gather all the missing tags/modules.

seems to be more than just missing tags/modules - see for instance:

selecting the SV Modular brand, then “Premium” leaves me with 24 modules that simply don’t show.

Just tested this, show here for me.

AS is showing only 3 modules, something weird there also.

This is why coordinating testing for these types of things is necessary. There is a hell of a lot of test variables for the Library beta. With no tracking users randomly submit bugs or they might see a bug and not report it. There is no way for testers to know what has and hasn’t been reported. This is fine for testing where there is a very large user base and likewise a very large team fixing issues on a game or something, but even these have an internal bug tracker or person gathering info / double checking reports and or reproducing them.

A coordinated effort and list of test parameters for testers would make:

• reporting a lot easier.
  • duplicate reports are at a minimum (known issues).
  • reproducible results can be known to all.
  • more time can be spent testing things outside of parameters to test.

The likes of the testing tags / module is one example where 1 person testing might take a lot of time finding all and every issue with that one thing (1787 modules * 55 tags = too many test variables). I noticed the AS thing also but have not reported it yet as I’ve not gotten around to it and want to find the reproducible results.

1 Like

Can you post one example of a module that shows a difference of tags between Rack and VCV Library?

Can you post a link that shows a search filter saying “N modules found” but no modules are listed?

I’m not sure what your point is here, but VCV Library pages say

Missing or incorrect information on this page? Inform the plugin author using their contact information above.

If you’re talking about issues with the web app report them to contact@vcvrack.com.

here too

My point is it will take yourself a long time to check and verify every single discrepancy with tags and or other discrepancies, depending on how thorough you are willing to be that is. My second point is everyone’s effort to find bugs is uncoordinated meaning there is a high possibility of you receiving duplicate reports but others reporting do not know that you may be already aware of the issue (frustrating I could guess).

com

23volts_clockM8_ModuleBrowser

In that specific case, the problem could perhaps be that the tag “Clock Modulator” was used in the author’s plugin.json, while the proper tag should perhaps be “Clock modulator”. The module browser is probably more foregiving with capitalization compared to the online library.

vs

2 Likes

Ah of course! You’re right. Had a look at others also and they appear to use the tag incorrectly. e.g. fence WaveShaper.