=== vcp challenge #65: kautenjadsp ===

you are challenged to make a patch in vcv rack to showcase creative use of modules, so other users may get inspired. you can also win eternal fame!

for this edition, get your chiptune on! because the challenge is to make a patch with any of the oscillators from kautenjadsp, which emulate chips from classic game systems.

good luck!

== rules ==

• make a patch in vcv rack and upload your patch to patchstorage.com and/or in your reply to this thread
  • tag your upload with vcp-65
  • make a video showcasing your patch and upload it to youtube (if possible)
  • add a link to your video as a comment to this post
  • give feedback on other participants’ patches

deadline: monday end of the day, wherever you are, may 24th

11 Likes

These modules look so cool , but i haven’t tried yet, might be the occasion :smiley: ! I’ll try doing something

2 Likes

The hardest part was to teach VCV to play Contra. Now I think it’s better than me.

11 Likes

I predict many others will follow your path.

Wow ! Love how you included the Game’s sfx in your piece !

1 Like

This is my entry for the challenge.

The patch uses the Pallet Town Waves System module, which is an emulation of the Nintendo GameBoy Sound System (GBS) audio processing unit. It’s a generative patch: all the “music” is generated by three MusiMath modules. At the center of the screen the first levels of Rodland … one of my favourite GB games.

In the meantime I was debugging/fixing my MusiMath module, and the patch uses a new version that has a “more consistent” offset handling. I’ll publish the patch on patchstorage, as soon as the new MusiMath minor version is released on the library.

11 Likes

Hi All, this is my entry for the VCP 65 challenge. I had a SEGA mega drive as a kid so I used the Boss Fight module. Cheers.

VCP#65_Matthew Paine.vcv (382.7 KB)

6 Likes

Really good stuff, just subscribed to your channel too. Thanks for all the hard work! :slight_smile:

Really nice!! lovely dark nostalgic feeling. Thank :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/user-450705177/vcp-65-dsp-vs-ml-2600

https://patchstorage.com/vcp-65-dsp-vs-ml-2600/

vcp-65

DSP vs ML 2600

Arena: Stoermy Wasteland

FIGHT!

In 1978 General Instrument designed the AY-3-8910. That same year Williams & Ascher wrote and recorded Rainbow Connection.

Please enjoy this cover version. Made with one Jairasullator, one Pot Keys, KautenjaDSP filters and envelopes, and the chords from Rainbow Connection.

https://patchstorage.com/vcp-65-outtake-1978-psytrance/

The 1978 Psytrance variation is an outtake using a single Jairasullator and no FX or other processing. It’s arguably better than the first for its sheer simplicity. It’s the result of trying to create the sound of a banjo using a single Jairasullator. If anyone has any brilliant ideas for doing that, let’s hear a patch! Cheers!

5 Likes

Here is my first ever VCV challenge entry.

I opted for the StepSaw Oscillator, with the three voices putting out constant pitches tuned by ear. I would like to have used the built in VCA, but I wanted each voice to be routed to two independent VCAs, so that was out.

The first path preserves the raw oscillator sound. All of the interesting pitch variation is provided by the second path via recursive resonant filter sweeps. I had recently watched Jacub Ciupinski’s VCV Rack Hacks tutorial, Supercharge your VCF, and was eager to try out the technique.

I also decided to use this patch to accompany a live Native American style flute performance, called “Robot Lullaby”.

7 Likes

The Flute goes so well with it ! Wow ! It reminds me of the Caves of Qud OST :smiley: . Great performance !

1 Like

Thanks. I had no intention of pairing the patch with flute. I tuned the saw wave to an unquantized bass note that sounded good to my ears, and then pitched the square waves relative to that. On a whim I decided to try out the flute after the patch was complete. I was surprised and tickled that the oscillators were more or less in tune with my flute, and quickly settled into an overall vibe for the improv.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this one. I just subscribed to your plugin so I can experiment with your MusiMath, (and perhaps others), hopefully in the near future.

Yes, this did not turn out to be chiptune at all. One Infinite Stairs for an Arpeggio, another where I join two differently pitched voices together and trigger them with a 2 channel gate. There’s potential here but I think I should have turned some more knobs on Orca’s Heart (it comes together a bit better at minute ~3 when I turn down the volume;). Most of the drums/percussion are pinged Zzzorbs - a cool mudule with its dedicated pitch input!

(uses Valhalla Supermassive)

7 Likes

I need use that module sometime. Super cool!

1 Like

The patch and the flute go together so nicely! Superb :+1:t2:

1 Like

So after belatedly discovering that I can import MIDI files ( :man_facepalming:t2:), I decided to pair Entrian Melody with Chopin’s Prelude No. 15 and a bunch of Kautenjadsp oscillators, (not to mention a few of his other modules). I enjoyed building this patch so much that I am seriously considering a cover album of all the Chopin Preludes. Shout-out to Kautenjadsp for making all these great emulations of video game chips. They’re rad. :sunglasses: Everyone else who submitted to this challenge did a great job as well!

Cheers, :pineapple:

Edit: dunno why the SoundCloud link won’t show up here, but it shows up on Patchstorage. :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

Your soundcloud link works just fine for me.

1 Like

This weeks ambient dirge:

vcp-65.vcv (86.6 KB)

I really like the Super Echo, I think I’ve used it before but I’m generally not a chip tunes person so I haven’t really used the other modules that much. The piece is just more badly structured ambient stuff.

edit: You know I’m pretty down on myself and my work so I’m going to say that it’s more simply structured than badly structured. The problem I have is knowing why to structure things rather than how.

6 Likes