=== vcp challenge #56: reimagining dervish d ===

Well, I think I have a track, just about ready but no video for it. Tried VCV Recorder and it made a load of separate MPEG files, should I try other video file formats?

did you try setting VCV Recorder to mpeg-2 ( via right click menue) for video recording? then maybe covert it to mpg-4 for youtube upload.

I’ve been doing Psychedelic December, so that’s taken my patching time. Also I’m not super into this challenge. It seems that there are quite a few people who are stimulated by it htough and if we give it that extra week I may be able to find some “inspiration” i.e. google what a Dervish is and then try and come up with something that is distantly related to it. That’s what I normally do.

a dervish is a sufi dancer, so it has a middle-eastern feel.

i have officially extended the challenge until january 11. so two more weekends!

5 Likes

Yes but instead of files, I got the Rack to crash and files that did not save or work. Windows 10 3 Half year old laptop, don’t know why but even the 1st files above were separate. Might just provide a link to Souncloud and upload to Patch storage for this.

Well, “Sturgeon’s law” really came true on this one. I tried to throw something together and kept coming up with a cheesy 80’s teen movie underscore (probably could be used in a montage scene). I can honestly say, I’ve never written anything like this before. Anyhow, 2 minutes of fluff…in one take (cause I wasn’t going to do a second take). Please enjoy (or don’t) chariots misfired.vcv (56.1 KB) Chariots Misfired!

4 Likes

Can I put two submissions in, I have just re-discovered a version of a patch for VCP56 where no samples have been used. Thought I might submit that one and a sample based one-made with free samples and CS80 Vst [Arminator]. Will that be ok?

2 Likes

Well I have done the 2 tracks here’s the links: VCP 56 Dervish D[erivate] [Sample based] | Patchstorage Dervish D[erivate] VCP 56 - by Adrian Bottomley (soundcloud.com)

VCP 56 Dervish D[erivate] | Patchstorage

(Dervish D - +midi Keys VCP 56 by Adrian Bottomley | Free Listening on SoundCloud)

Enjoy I like these hope you all will.

1 Like

I did 3 once. It’s only embarrassing if no one else enters.

2 Likes

I have a thing that is sort of inspired by sufi drums (I saw a youtube video about it: Learn a Sufi Rhythm - Hey Allah - played on DAF, with Peghman Hadadi and Christine Stevens - YouTube) but the rest of it is a mad experiment in making a quantizer that lets you set the values of each note. Or something. It needs more “fluteyness” but I’ll have something done soon. I may work on it in my stream, so if it’s alright I’ll mention that here.

1 Like

Yes I’m beginning to wonder if I will be the only one, but saying that Worker 13 has put one in, so that’s 3 tracks by two people. Are you putting one into VCP 56?

Soon, i will.

Good that makes 4 tracks, see what you produce then, drum led track or synth, string etc? Either way good to have company!

How are you creating the flute, I have tried Audible instruments Macro Oscillator and Modal synthesizer, got a result but not the best sounding. Any other way would be good to know. Thanks if you get the time to show your method.

It’s not going to sound that much like a flute. I’m just using Modal Synthesizer (Elements). The thing I always forget with that is to keep the “play” button held down, it really effects how things sound.

This installment of the venerable, but still great series might help:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-flute-synthesis

1 Like

Thanks for that some ‘light’ bedtime reading, see what I can get out of this fine publication, they seem to know how to make every kind of sound in that publication, good for them!

Still intend to submit a patch as well, hope I can meet that deadline :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I didn’t want Kleinemaschinen to be out here all by himself, so I made a second attempt. It still is in the realm of mediocre 80’s movie music, but a least this one has a melody. It’s actually sort of okay. Now it’s time to go back to making noise.

2 Likes

Thanks, it was feeling like the Marie Celeste on this thread! It does sound a bit like Vangelis’ Pulsar track to my waxed up ears! So you aren’t too far away from the Master’s work. Always good to hear your patches.