=== vcp challenge #56: reimagining dervish d ===

I don’t know about tutorials but yes VCV Rec is just a matter of picking the filename and pressing start.

I bought the Chariots Of Fire soundtrack when the movie was released.

He still influences the music I make - you can probably hear some of that in my latest track I posted today. I also learnt a lot from making my cover versions of the Blade Runner start and end titles with VCV Rack. I think there’s great value in a challenge like this and making it from scratch. The goal isn’t necessarily to sound the same as the original but to ask yourself “how was it done?”, then “how will I do it?”

5 Likes

What about sequencing from outside the VCV patch, e.g. with a free tracker like openMPT?

i’m fine with that

You should definitely address all rule enquirys to @ablaut. I’m only a player, he defines the game.

I’m deeply in love and inspired by his more esoteric ambient pieces or “orchestral” works. My favorites are Blade Runner, Soil Festivities and Mask. The more “pop” works of his are not really for me.

Sounds very much like my journey Ben. Funny how life works.

1 Like

Hello everyone, is anyone producing any tracks yet? I have started again, using a mixture of my own samples of Yamaha CS80 VST and VCV Resonator synthesis of Mid Eastern strings. I have created an Arabian genre style track that still ok? I have learnt a fair bit a long the way as well. Not an huge patch but it conveys the feeling of Dervish D. Have a good Christmas break/Holiday.

I’m working on a track.

Well that’s two so far, how you making yours from scratch and ‘trackering’ it. How’s the tape sampler module going, was wanting to ask but didn.t want to pester you too much! You having a good Christmas so far?

I started monkeying about with a track and playing back MIDI thru a MIDI file player module, but revisited to chop things into parts that could be more generative. Nothing’s getting completed this side of New Year.

Ii’m consumed with streaming at the moment but I guess I’ll do something vaguely “dervish inspired”. I’ve got to admit that I’m not super familiar with Vangelis (other than the Bladerunner soundtrack) so it’s not something I’m invested in. I enjoyed the VCP where we had to do something Jamaican and I, for random reasons, committed to doing the merengue. I really enjoyed learning a bit about it and making the (actually rather jazzy) track that came out.

One thing that I think I really need is to do a decent emulation of the CS-80, so that’s something to look into.

Well it is good that you have made a start. But the finish date is 2nd Jan. I have been creating different mixes with the same patch and adding things. Then tweaking, does it need this sound etc, what happens if I add this module? I’ll get there. my tracks are influenced by Vangelis’ Dervish D, I’m not as good as the Master! Have a good Christmas and a better New Year.

I found 3 VST emulations of the CS80 on VST4FREE- Arminator2, KB-80 and Kx-PolyM-CSE [ Yamaha CS 70]. Only tried Arminator2, that has got some good presets. Hope they meet your needs. I harvested your ‘Merengue’ one from patch storage or one like it. Have a good Christmas break then fight with the VSTs. ;>

I don’t really use VSTs. I’ll figure something out.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve abandoned it as an official challenge entry, it’s morphing into an algorithmic piece that could run forever and keep adapting

I could supply you with samples of the ones I have if you like! Or just not feeling this challenge? Have/had a good Christmas break, stay safe.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. I’ll either figure something out or not.

i’m not seeing any submissions yet, so shall we prolong this challenge one more week?

Yes, please!