Surge XT

just thousands thanks for this fine collection of modules

everyone involved did a great job :+1:
looking forward to so many happy patching hours
:star_struck:

4 Likes

That mod matrix module is ACE! And all the rest too, of course.

6 Likes

ha you know one of the little jokes steve pyer evil and i would make is that we didn’t quite know which module would be the one that caught peoples eye. Like “here’s 7 new VCOs and 20 new FX” and people will be like “oooh a tuned polyphonic delay with sample offset” and that will be the one everyone uses. The mod matrix was in one of my ‘front runners to be intriguing to people who wanted the modulation but not the modules’ camp so your comment made me chuckle just now.

4 Likes

PRO TIP:

If you are in mod edit mode on any of the modules (ie if one of the mod buttons is pressed/active)

Then you can still move the knob (rather than edit mod amount) by holding down the ALT/OPTION + SHIFT keys. This is really useful if you want to tweak the knob position and modulation amount together without having to keep clicking the mod button on and off
 it really improves the workflow.

Just remember: ALTernatively I can SHIFT the knob!

14 Likes

How many people did you think would be hopped up beyond belief at the block size = 1 option?

Cause you got one right here (me)

1 Like

ha you know one of the little jokes steve pyer evil and i would make is that we didn’t quite know which module would be the one that caught peoples eye. Like “here’s 7 new VCOs and 20 new FX” and people will be like “oooh a tuned polyphonic delay with sample offset” and that will be the one everyone uses.

For me: come for the Rotary, stay for everything else. Awesome module suite.

4 Likes

So here’s how it works

The oscillators and many fx are on block size 8. The oscillators don’t need an input will that means they have an amortized 4 sample delay from note on to trigger and snap modulations and cv every 8. This means you can’t really do fm with the modulations

Almost all The fx are accumulate 8 in, process, output. They are also fully polyphonic if you want but are summing mono by default. But 8 block signal delay

The lfo snaps modulation every 8 blocks and linearly interpolates intermediate samples

The delays are both per sample no buffer.

The filters reset coefficients every 8 samples but smooth over the block and have no delay.

The waveshaper mixer and mod matrix are all sample accurate

This really doesn’t matter unless you are doing super tricky phase stuff though. 8 blocks is already short. But it does sort of encourage you to either use the fx inline or with the mix at 1

When we write the manual we will explain this in more detail but that’s the gist of it today

4 Likes

Yeah the rotary seems much more popular in vcv than it does in the vst! Funny that. Glad you like them!

1 Like

This is (1) still awesome and (2) really good to know. Many thanks for the extremely detailed writeup (and all the sounds to come!)

1 Like

One or two updates daily
 je suis aux anges!

1 Like

What is the best way to get a VCA with envelope? Currently I am modulating the Mixer with the EG.

surge stuff has always been good. Nice to see it “pretty” now, and with cool features. And no screws :wink:

2 Likes

Modulate the level in the mixer or the drive in the filter or waveshaper would be good approaches yes

I’m getting better results modulating the Filter drive with the EG. Thanks.

One or two is low. We rebuild on every commit. At the peak of putting it together we had a lot. That’s why getting it stabilized and in the library is a November goal!

I’ve been using spank or fundamental vca honestly. Or sometimes the mixer. I didn’t even think of using filter drive as a vca until I saw omris video!

Me too :grinning: I will play more tomorrow. Thanks.

It has magnets which hold the modules in place.

6 Likes

Oh My God! Treemonster is an utter. . . well, MONSTER of a module!

Its ability to track voice and flute pitch and envelope is insane! It opens an entire world of wind sound processing within VCV.

I had a TC Hellicon Voice Live 3 that I thought was pretty good (until it bricked on me :angry:). But the Helicon could not properly track my high pitched flutes.

Treemonster, on the other hand, seems to have no problem with my high flutes! I even got some reasonable tracking while playing my double flute (two melodic flutes tuned a fifth apart). Getting something musical while tracking two notes simultaneously is simply crazy!

I am blown away by the entire collection - but for me, Treemonster just screams - PLAY WITH ME

5 Likes

Yeah it is a special module. Note that it is by default a polyphonic FX also. All the FX can be polyphonic (namely an independent instance per poly channel vs the default of sum down) but that’s usually not necessary - with TM it is.

The TM code is surprisingly simple. It came from ShortCircuit (which Claes also open sourced but we don’t have running yet). There’s a more advanced version in bitwig now, but the one we have here works really quite well for many signals.

Have fun and look forward to hearing what you do!