Surge XT

Yes. I just started playing with polyphonic pitch shifting of a replicated audio input just before you posted :smiley:

oh and of course; once you have your FX in poly mode, all the modulators are polyphonic also…

Yep - that is how I was getting chords from one flute pitch. My mind kind of explodes when I think about treating each channel differently, to give each pitch shift its own character. Oooh, maybe put some delay on some channels, and not others. There is no end of possibilities

Yup but be careful. A poly fx is running the core dsp n times. Some things will eat your cou at high poly where mono sum may work instead.

Congratulations! And really nice UI improvements. Looks very complete!

1 Like

Had the Rotary in my default template patch forever as one send effect. Use it with bass always, but the new presets warrant using a few more than one from now on methinks. Now that they do not only sound fantastic but also look the part I am working my way through them all, not one disappoints so far or will get left by the wayside I think. What a fine collection to add to the arsenal!

2 Likes

Just did a quick test after install setting up a duophonic patch and the cpu looks fine so although maybe not the best for 16 voice patches, it certainly works great in small doses without blowing up the processor

That’s showing 14.5% CPU, but it is on a 12 core Ryzen 9 so YMMV.

Got to be said, seriously impressive work has been done on this, oozes quality. Hats off to everyone involved.

I have one nitpick: can you please offer white LED as an option? I feel it would help legibility, I have crap eyesight so have to zoom in a lot to read the text.

1 Like

Sure added a github issue and will get this probably this weekend latest

2 Likes

Cheers.

I just did the patch above as a 4 voice poly patch and it still was only maxing CPU as 24% on my PC and that was with 3 x unison per voice. Sounds great.

Yeah I’ll write up the cpu section of the manual soon. Lots of tricks to keep it low and a few ways to make it high

1 Like

Congratulations to the team for this wonderful redesign! So polished and next-level, simply amazing work!

6 Likes

I use the Bogaudio FM-OP in a LOT of my patches due to the utter simplicity of having an envelope generator and VCA in the oscillator module. Do any of the Surge XT oscillators have such?

And just as confirmation, the manual pages are still for the XT VST, right? How applicable is the VST manual for the Rack modules?

Thanks

We do not have ‘voice’ modules (yet) which combine envelopes, oscillators, and vcas.

the manual link in the module links to the permanent home of the future manual. future being operative word. But that will make heavy reference to the VST manual, where the description of all the parameters and oscillator types is the same as what you see in the surge for rack modules.

1 Like

Thanks. The STRING VCO can act as a voice module for what I am doing.

Yes as can twist with the lpg activated (which is basically our wrapping of plaits)

1 Like

Amazing work.

I wish to mention a possible UI bug. Upon closing and reopening the VCV VST the text disappears on the surge modules.

Thanks

Congratulation to the Surge XT team and the Surge community in general!

It’s a wonderful module collection. Great VCV implementation. Stylish look. I am truly impressed!

3 Likes

Oh I bet I’m hitting VCV Manual - Migrating v1 Plugins to v2

Thank you - this is why we have time for beta testers. I will open a GitHub issue

1 Like

Yeah that’s exactly it. All our font handling is in exactly one spot so it was an easy fix once I could repro it on bitwig. Will be in next nightly later this morning (along with fixes to other problems people reported here and on GitHub. Super appreciated! Keep em coming)

2 Likes

I would vote for an FM2 voice module in the future.