Studio D: Music From The Rack

Thanks Dave. A flac or m4a will do nicely as well, or wav for that matter.

Is m4a the same as AAC? I’m pretty sure AAC is a bit better than mp3. Glad I have old ears, because 256k AAC sounds just fine for me (and now that I’ve sold off my $15k “stereo” for a $400 boom box).

Hi Lars ! See your PM. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think pretty much so but don’t hang me on it… M4A means “MPEG-4 Audio”, in other words it’s the format for the audio portion of MP4/MPEG-4 video, which is mostly what is streamed these days.

$ mediainfo "ShimmersRack2.m4a" 
General
Complete name                            : ShimmersRack2.m4a
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A  (M4A /mp42/isom)
File size                                : 5.58 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 10 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 246 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2021-11-24 08:30:46
Tagged date                              : UTC 2021-11-24 08:30:48

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 3 min 10 s
Source duration                          : 3 min 10 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 256 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 5.55 MiB (99%)
Source stream size                       : 5.55 MiB (99%)
Title                                    : Core Media Audio
Encoded date                             : UTC 2021-11-24 08:30:46
Tagged date                              : UTC 2021-11-24 08:30:48

All things being equal, in general, yes :slight_smile:

If it has any interest, this is the script I use to convert one audio file/format into another, at the highest quality setting, using FFMPEG. I use it mostly if I want to make an M4A out of a WAV:

#!/bin/bash

# Convert an audio file from one format to another

USAGE="Usage: audio2audio.sh AUDIOFILE AUDIOFILE-EXTENSION
Example: audio2audio.sh myAudio.wav m4a"

AUDIOFILE="$1"
AUDIOEXTENSION="$2"

test $# -ne 2  && { echo "$USAGE"; exit 1; }
test -f "$AUDIOFILE" || { echo -e "Audio file not found\n$USAGE"; exit 1; }

SHORTNAME="$(echo $AUDIOFILE | sed 's/\....$//;s/^.*\///')"
NEW_AUDIOFILE="$SHORTNAME.$AUDIOEXTENSION"

ffmpeg -hide_banner -i "$AUDIOFILE" -b:a 320k "$NEW_AUDIOFILE"
echo Done
1 Like

Noisy times at Studio D. See the YT notes for a little more detail.

I’m reluctant to post my recent patches on Patchstorage. Typically they rely on modules found in plugins currently unavailable in the Library. Some of those modules are likely to appear there Real Soon Now but others are custom builds of plugins that will not be updated. So, if a patch avoids those “forbidden” plugins I’ll post it to Patchstorage. Patches that do use those plugins will be available on request.

3 Likes

A pleasant ambience. Enjoy, comments are welcome as always.

dp

4 Likes

Love it! How much (if any) is live improv on a keyboard and/or “knob twiddliing”? How much is fully scripted and/or how much is auto-generative?

Hi Dave, thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it. There’s no improv on my part, the patch is self-generative. The only live actions are the level controls and the hold on the chord at the beginning and ending of the recording.

Alas, three plugins are used here that are not available in the Library. :frowning: Of course, they’re critical to the patch design, and not easily replaced (if at all).

Excellent, thanks. An impressive balance of structure and variability that maintains interest. The ideas that come and go sound like human improv and really draw me in.

1 Like

Very jazz, I like it! If you told me that it’s from a jazz record you could have fooled me :slight_smile: Good stuff Dave!

2 Likes

This is a very nice piece, congratulations. Where are the “Amalgamated Harmonics” modules from? I can’t find them anywhere.

It’s from here and Dave compiled it from source:

They compile on my Mac for v2 and all modules load. Whether they work as advertised is another matter. I can see John still hasn’t submitted it to the library so maybe there’s still work to be done.

Thank you for your feedback. This probably means that there is no Windows build available. I’m not sure what exactly I need to do for that. Maybe someone else will generate one, which would make me happy. In V1 I sometimes liked to use the modules.

Noisy sounds with a steady beat.

Looks like it’s headed for the library now.

“The gang is getting frisky here at Studio D. They can smell the approaching Spring, they’ve begun bouncing off the studio walls. I’ve tried to rein them in, to little avail. I did what I could, I gave them a steady beat and an open hand regarding harmonic sequencing, and this is what the came up with. You see what I’m up against here.” :smile:

1 Like

this sounds good

Indeed :slight_smile:

It’s got a beat and a bunch of noisemakers. See the YT notes for more detail. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

And indeed, the AH Progress module is in the house.

“What’s So Funny About Peace, Love, And Understanding The Euclidean Sequencer ?”

:rofl:

It’s way too abstract for me Dave but I have to admit the piece made me laugh, and that was before I read the description, don’t know why but there it is. Was it designed to provoke that? I’m sorry if I was meant to be very serious listening to it, I’m a simpleton, what can I say …

It’s certainly not serious music, and I’m pleased if it generates some smiles. Like Zappa, I’m a big believer in music as humor and humor in music. As the Sage remarked, “If people didn’t laugh at it, it wouldn’t be the Tao.”

Now, putting that patch together, that was some serious business. :slight_smile:

1 Like